Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The official offensive RoY race is on....

Only three games in, but both TB and Bortles got to play today. 13 games left are plenty of opportunities to win the award. Will it be Carr, TB, Bortles, Manziel (lol j/k) Walkins, or will it be another player?

I will try to keep the thread updated after each week.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hurns?

Watkins has a good chance, but Manuel is holding him back. Bortles just doesn't have enough talent around him atm to put up good numbers. Teddy has a good chance since he's in a Turner system. But we'll see.

Quote:Watkins has a good chance, but Manuel is holding him back.

Hurns has over 200 yards and 3 TDs and BB throwing to him.

I'd probably have said Teddy but then AP had his whole deal. So honestly I think it's pretty wide open. Maybe Brandin Cooks cause he has YAC skills and a HoFer at QB.

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Don't forget kelvin Benjamin.

Allen Hurns has as good a chance as anyone after three weeks.

Hurns would have to amass over 1.5k yards with double digit tds for him to win OROY in Jax. If he does reach those numbers then im pretty sure Bortles will win OROY
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Mike Zimmer just made it official that Teddy will be the starting QB for the rest of the year now that Cassel broke his toes. I have to admit that Cassel, whom I thought was the best if the "bridge" QB, was Henne level bad this season. As for Henne, I just don't see how they can go back to him even if Bortles struggles. Schaub was the most sought after free agent QB, but he ends up as the worst as he has yet to play a single down. And who would have thought that Brian Boyer is going to be the best if the "bridge" QB?

I know the Jags play the Browns this season, but do they play the Vikes at all? I don't care about Manziel -- and highly doubt he would be the starter for that game -- but it would be nice to see a Bortles vs Bridgewater matchup.

Quote:Don't forget kelvin Benjamin.

Kelvin Benjamin is the Offensive Rookie I was going to mention when seeing the title of this thread.    I watched the Panthers most recent 2 games and in both games,  Benjamin made tremendous concentration/  athletic catches.   The one he made against Rashean Mathis against the Lions near the sideline was the type of play that Calvin Johnson and other elite tall athletic WR's make but few others are capable of making.   Benjamin hasn't been consistent enough for the Panthers,  which could reduce his chances of winning the OROY award if this continues.   Yet,   despite that,  Benjamin might make enough highlight reel plays that his lack of consistency might be overlooked by the voters.    Especially if a QB doesn't emerge in the OROY competition.

Quote:Mike Zimmer just made it official that Teddy will be the starting QB for the rest of the year now that Cassel broke his toes. I have to admit that Cassel, whom I thought was the best if the "bridge" QB, was Henne level bad this season. As for Henne, I just don't see how they can go back to him even if Bortles struggles. Schaub was the most sought after free agent QB, but he ends up as the worst as he has yet to play a single down. And who would have thought that Brian Boyer is going to be the best if the "bridge" QB?

I know the Jags play the Browns this season, but do they play the Vikes at all? I don't care about Manziel -- and highly doubt he would be the starter for that game -- but it would be nice to see a Bortles vs Bridgewater matchup.

The Jaguars don't play the Vikings this season,  as the AFCS plays the NFCE and the NFCN plays the AFCE.    The next time the Jaguars play the Vikings is in 2016,  as that is scheduled to be a Jaguars home game.

If Teddy Bridgewater struggles and the Vikings decide it's better for him to go back to the bench,  then Christian Ponder would move back to being a starter.  

Matt Cassel has a history of looking like a solution in some games and a total reject as a starting QB in other games.    At least with Bridgewater,  there's the unknown/ hope factor from a Vikings standpoint. 

Quote:The Jaguars don't play the Vikings this season,  as the AFCS plays the NFCE and the NFCN plays the AFCE.    The next time the Jaguars play the Vikings is in 2016,  as that is scheduled to be a Jaguars home game.

If Teddy Bridgewater struggles and the Vikings decide it's better for him to go back to the bench,  then Christian Ponder would move back to being a starter.  

Matt Cassel has a history of looking like a solution in some games and a total reject as a starting QB in other games.    At least with Bridgewater,  there's the unknown/ hope factor from a Vikings standpoint.

Jags will play the Vikes in the Super Bowl this year and Bortles will beat Bridgewater on a 4th quarter comeback again.

...I can dream right?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

So far, Teddy got the head start in this race. Still a long season, but it looks like Carr might be out of the race because of his injury and his team just plain stinks.

Kelvin B really looks like he has all the tools and will likely just get better and better.

Has a UDFA ever won OROY? Arian Foster maybe?

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Kelvin Benjamin is my main pick but Cooks for Saints has chance with Drew, but they also seem to be having some trouble early in the season.

I would love to see a Jag win it but I still have my doubts.

Quote:Kelvin B really looks like he has all the tools and will likely just get better and better.

Has a UDFA ever won OROY? Arian Foster maybe?

Nope. Arian Foster spent his rookie year on the practice squad, IIRC
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Mike Anderson of the Broncos was a 6th rounder, thats as late a pick as I can remember winning it.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Bump since the season is entering its final quarter.  Hard to say really...I don't know which rookie really stands out right now.  The 2012 class really spoiled us. lol.

If I have to pick one, I'd say Teddy has been the most consistent and impressive one, but he also came into the best situation a rookie QB can ask -- norv Turner as OC and some decent veteran players on the offense.  Carr would be second, but unlike Teddy, he came into a really disasterous Raiders team.  No, he's not as good as what some Raiders fans are claiming him to be, but he has done a decent job considering that he's a rookie playing for...the Raiders. 

That leaves Bortles and Mett.  I think we all have an opinion on Bortles by now.  It's fair to put him 3rd on this list based on what he has shown this season.  Mett is out for the rest of the season.  (Seriously, what was Whisenhunt thinking leaving him in a blowout game on sunday?)  He is not impressive, either.  The majority of his yards and stats came in blown out game garbage time.  Now it looks like tenn is definitely targeting Winston/Mariota if either falls to them.

Wait...wasn't there another rookie QB? Hmmm, I can't seems to remember.  Anyone care to tell me who? Tongue

Kelvin Benjamin should win it.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Ever since Carolina has that losing streak, I haven't heard his name at all...