Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hope Solo Domestic Violence

Where is the outrage regarding Hope Solo's domestic violence case? She is still playing for the United States Women's National Team and wore the captain's armband in yesterday's game.

Link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/sports....html?_r=0

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2014, 07:21 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:Where is the outrage regarding Hope Solo's domestic violence case? She is still playing for the United States Women's National Team and wore the captain's armband in yesterday's game.

Link:
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/sports/soccer/in-hope-solo-case-us-soccer-doesnt-get-it-right-either.html?_r=0'>http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/sports/soccer/in-hope-solo-case-us-soccer-doesnt-get-it-right-either.html?_r=0</a>

Shhhh.... Don't upset the double standard apple cart.

Well. It's only one case, unlike the NFL. Plus the women are better at sweeping....this under the rug.
Blakes Life Matters

Because Soccer.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

They're probably afraid that Solo will come over to their house and burn it to the ground.

That girl be craaaaaaaazzzyyyyyyyyyyy.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

The outrage is nowhere, because nobody pays attention to Soccer.  Especially not women's soccer.

"Hope Solo?  Is that like Han Solo's daughter?"

I mean there's obviously some outrage out there about this.  It's just about equal to the amount of people who actually pay attention to Women's Soccer.  It'd be like a WNBA player getting into trouble.  How many WNBA players can you name?

I imagine if instead of Ray Rice beating his fiance up, it had been Cecil Shorts beating up his girlfriend, you probably would never hear about it.  Or if you did, you'd hear the Jags cutting him because of it or something like that.  (He'd then be signed elsewhere, and nobody would ever bring it up again)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2014, 03:42 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Hope Solo is every bit as known as Jonathon Dywer. For what it's worth, Hope Solo has over 200k more twitter followers than Ray Rice and Jonathon Dwyer combined. 

Is the women's basketball popular? No, but people know who Lisa Leslie is.

Is women's tennis popular? No, but people know who Serena Williams is.

Is women's soccer popular? No, but people know who Hope Solo is.

Is the NFL popular? Yes, but not everyone knows the 2nd string RB of the Arizona Cardinals.

Hope solo isn't just some random soccer player. She is the reigning FIFA World Cup Golden Gloves winner (best female goalie in the world). She assaulted a minor (charged him, hit him, and tackled him) in the minor's own home. But hey, who cares?

Hail, you bring up a great issue and that article you posted the link to is well worth reading. I am surprised she's back with the team considering her behavior in this case and the comparison to the NFL situation (especially the comment about comparing the captain's armband to AP getting a game ball) is valid.

FWIW, I am an avid football fan and I could not place Jonathan Dwyer when the report came out (I still can't say I know who he is other than an AZ RB) but I certainly know who Hope Solo is.

Getting punched by a well conditioned, trained athlete who is quick as a cat cannot be a pleasant experience, regardless of gender. The fact that she punched a minor is also just wrong, I agree with you- where's the outrage?

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I'm outraged. Poor Hope had to have been injured, and clearly, in light of her anatomical configuration,  that male person should be in jail for assaulting her fists with his body. We should start an awareness campaign for female victims like this. we could call it "No More Bloody Knuckles" and have a bruise colored ribbon for the proponents to wear while seeking donations to the cause.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

If she was an NFL player, and a man, there would be the expected outrage. 

She's neither, so there's no way for special interests to leverage this to their advantage.  If there was, I'm sure her case would get a lot more attention in the media. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Where is the outrage regarding Hope Solo's domestic violence case? She is still playing for the United States Women's National Team and wore the captain's armband in yesterday's game.

Link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/sports....html?_r=0

Because obviously domestic violence is only done by men.

Quote:Because obviously domestic violence is only done by men.

That's what the left wants to make everyone think.

Quote:That's what the left wants to make everyone think.

Can you articulate that using words? I'm not sure I understand your 'point.' It seems like this a clear cut case of the team acting in its own best interests.

The relevant part:

"How convenient for Solo, and for them, that her trial will not start until after the United States has claimed its place in the World Cup. If she were a marginal player, though, I bet both organizations would have benched her without a second thought.

It’s possible to understand the team’s cowardice: A league trying to sustain itself has an incentive to protect its stars."

What don't you get?

Quote:Hope Solo is every bit as known as Jonathon Dywer. For what it's worth, Hope Solo has over 200k more twitter followers than Ray Rice and Jonathon Dwyer combined.
That's because she can actually spell and conjugate a verb. Big Grin
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

LOL....this shows so much about your views. 

Quote:LOL....this shows so much about your views. 

Cool.

I'd let Hope Solo put a whoopin on me any day..

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I'd let Hope Solo put a whoopin on me any day..

Typical leftist.

Again, what does politics have to do with domestic violence?

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Again, what does politics have to do with domestic violence?

The media portrayal, or intentional lack thereof, of domestic violence is related to politics.