Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Job security

I think caldwell has a long leash no matter what. But given Khan's impatience with soccer managers, isn't it at least conceivable that a coaching change could be made if the season continues to go this badly?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Im talking 3 to 4 win bad

Doubtful
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

No, situation's different here in Jax. Roster here was gutted. It's gonna be a three year process before we're really competitive. Khan knows that.

No

Should be, but won't be.

I have more faith in Gus than David if anything but the two are tied at the hip. They have at least another year
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I think the team would have to lose 10 games or more in 2015 for Gus to be fired. 

Quote:I think the team would have to lose 10 games or more in 2015 for Gus to be fired.
I doubt even then. Seeing as how our future QB hasn't played yet and our offense is pretty much completely different from last year minus Henne. I think he's got a free pass this year.

Quote:I doubt even then. Seeing as how our future QB hasn't played yet and our offense is pretty much completely different from last year minus Henne. I think he's got a free pass this year.
I said 2015.

Quote:I said 2015.
My bad I read that incorrectly.

Quote:No, situation's different here in Jax. Roster here was gutted. It's gonna be a three year process before we're really competitive. Khan knows that.
i guess my question is, based on what we have seen so far, do you really think we will compete for a playoff spot next year?

Quote:I doubt even then. Seeing as how our future QB hasn't played yet and our offense is pretty much completely different from last year minus Henne. I think he's got a free pass this year.

See, and that's why i think theyre holding off on starting him. It buys them time. Could come back to bite them though, if bortles plays like a rookie next year anyway.

We're kinda riding this fine line right now at the qb position..... Which is why i refuse to believe that they havent at least had the conversation. Not buying that from gus

Quote:I think caldwell has a long leash no matter what. But given Khan's impatience with soccer managers, isn't it at least conceivable that a coaching change could be made if the season continues to go this badly?
no. after a more or less complete 'gut' of the team, it was understood that rebuild would take time and that there would be 'glitches' along the way. This is the NFL, not burger king... you don't get it when you want it or even necessarily the way you would like it... which is to say 'patience' is golden...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:i guess my question is, based on what we have seen so far, do you really think we will compete for a playoff spot next year?

That's hard to say. We haven't been 100% healthy since OTA's, since Allen Robinson's injury. It's been a patchwork O Line, and Henne's been…well…Henne.

He'll get a year after Bortles takes the field to see what's up. I do think if we get healthy in the WR's, O Line, and the secondary, we have the depth to compete for a spot, especially in our division. Just gotta have patience, which is getting thinner every day on this board.

Quote:i guess my question is, based on what we have seen so far, do you really think we will compete for a playoff spot next year?

It's very early to guess, but it certainly isn't looking good.  This team will have to make strides developing it's youth and Caldwell will probably have to spend smartly in free agency to get this roster in shape. 

Much can happen over the next 15 weeks though, and I'm willing to let that play out before condemning coaches prematurely. (Not that you've condemned anyone just yet)

I think he plays out his contract no matter what

Quote:...i think theyre holding off on starting him. It buys them time.

There's no way of knowing if that's in Caldwell/Bradley's thoughts right now unless you are tight enough with both of them to ask and get an honest answer  --  but I would literally bet you my life's savings and the pink slip to my car that it's not the case. 

These guys aren't trying to play mind games with the owner over job security.  They just happen to know a whole lot more than you or I about Bortles' readiness, knowledge of the playbook, ability to identify opposing defensive schemes and progress with his technique. They might be treating him with kid gloves, but it's not over their jobs. It's about wanting to get the best out of him when he does start. Which will be more sooner than later. 

This soccer manager thing seems odd. Maybe Khan is a little crazier than we think.

Quote:There's no way of knowing if that's in Caldwell/Bradley's thoughts right now unless you are tight enough with both of them to ask and get an honest answer -- but I would literally bet you my life's savings and the pink slip to my car that it's not the case.

These guys aren't trying to play mind games with the owner over job security. They just happen to know a whole lot more than you or I about Bortles' readiness, knowledge of the playbook, ability to identify opposing defensive schemes and progress with his technique. They might be treating him with kid gloves, but it's not over their jobs. It's about wanting to get the best out of him when he does start. Which will be more sooner than later.

I think if there was going to be a lot of improvement from year 1 to year 2 we would have seen it already. That's what the offseason is for. The only thing that seems to happen as the season goes on is additional injuries, at least in our case