Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Job security

Nope -- Caldwell has at least 4 years.  There are 2 critical areas that must pan out in the Caldwell era:

1) Defense

2) QB - Bortles

The best scenario at this time is getting a high draft pick, trade down and obtain Gurley and some additional picks.  Get our future Center and TE

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:i guess my question is, based on what we have seen so far, do you really think we will compete for a playoff spot next year?
So you're saying what are our chances for the playoffs NEXT year when we're two games into THIS year and have no idea what is going to happen in the draft or free agency. And Bortles has yet to play a snap.

I'll get back to you...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I think the team would have to lose 10 games or more in 2015 for Gus to be fired. 
I dunno... if we win 5 this year

and then 6 next, that would be seen as improvement.

My gut feeling is Caldwell is safe until one of two things are clear. Bortles is NOT "the guy". and/or the talent around Bortles is so lacking we still can't win games.

For either of these to come to fruition, I think Khan will be waiting until after the 2016 season. (Or mid way through if he wants to make a "statement")

If Bortles starts 12 games this year and gets the whole 2015 season, we should be "at worst" 14-14. Anything less will have to draw some criticism. In which would lead to a "break out or get out" year in 2016. A losing record could force the hand. It'd be the 4th season for Gus, Dave, and the 3rd season for Bortles..... results will be expected.

I believe Caldwell to be patient, and by proxy I expect Khan to be more patient than anyone on this board will be happy with. People on here are already calling for heads to roll. Heads that couldn't correct the problem of "possible worst team in NFL" in a matter of 18 games... smh.

Speaking of worst team in NFL....... anyone watch TB last night?

It was just as bad, or worse, than us.

Quote:Nope -- Caldwell has at least 4 years.  There are 2 critical areas that must pan out in the Caldwell era:

1) Defense

2) QB - Bortles

The best scenario at this time is getting a high draft pick, trade down and obtain Gurley and some additional picks.  Get our future Center and TE
Eh... not sold on getting Gurley. Dude is a beast but so was TRich in college, yah mean?

I think this team needs a FS bad. And maybe even a "shutdown" corner type.

Assuming Linder and Bowanko work out, the Oline might be OK next year. Even still I imagine the rooks will get a year or two to try.

I'm all for targeting a TE, even if Lewis comes back healthy and can go for a couple more years, it's time to get a solid starter in instead of picking up scraps from practice squads.

But I agree with your bullet points. Caldwell has (imo at least) til the end of the 2016 season.

Quote:Nope -- Caldwell has at least 4 years.  There are 2 critical areas that must pan out in the Caldwell era:

1) Defense

2) QB - Bortles

I think the point of this thread is that maybe Khan isn't as patient as everybody thinks

Quote:I think the point of this thread is that maybe Khan isn't as patient as everybody thinks

based on what??

He should be patient. Rolling over GMs and Head Coaches every 2-3 years doesn't seem to work for anyone.

I think the point should be that NO ONE on this message board has any idea, not even close, to what Khan is thinking or how patient he plans to be.

Given what we know, he knew it would be a long process, so I doubt he's up in arms like all of the armchair GMs on this board are, right now.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2014, 09:49 AM by badger.)

Quote:based on what??

He should be patient. Rolling over GMs and Head Coaches every 2-3 years doesn't seem to work for anyone.

I think the point should be that NO ONE on this message board has any idea, not even close, to what Khan is thinking or how patient he plans to be.

Given what we know, he knew it would be a long process, so I doubt he's up in arms like all of the armchair GMs on this board are, right now.

based on what he's doing with his other "football" team

I mean, 4 managers?  holy crap that is really bizarre.

Quote:I think the point of this thread is that maybe Khan isn't as patient as everybody thinks

And the NFL is really nothing like Premiere League soccer.  

We're 2 games into the season.  Nobody is worrying about job security unless they're a player on the bottom half of this  roster. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:And the NFL is really nothing like Premiere League soccer.  

We're 2 games into the season.  Nobody is worrying about job security unless they're a player on the bottom half of this  roster. 

I hope so.  Hopefully he doesn't go all coach crazy and hire 4 in the span of a couple years.

Quote:based on what he's doing with his other "football" team

I mean, 4 managers?  holy crap that is really bizarre.
Different business.

We don't know the ins and outs of the Premiere Football league either.

I wouldn't compare apples and oranges at this point.

Quote:Different business.

We don't know the ins and outs of the Premiere Football league either.

I wouldn't compare apples and oranges at this point.

I don't care what sport you play.  Changing coach every year is not a recipe for success.

Quote:I don't care what sport you play.  Changing coach every year is not a recipe for success.

Relegation or the threat of relegation forces desperate measures.  

If NFL teams were relegated to the CFL after too many losses, then you'd have something to worry about.  Khan won't do that with the Jaguars. These guys are fine until 2016 at least. 

Quote:Relegation or the threat of relegation forces desperate measures.  

If NFL teams were relegated to the CFL after too many losses, then you'd have something to worry about.  Khan won't do that with the Jaguars. These guys are fine until 2016 at least. 
There's the bit of info I didn't know about.

Khan is at risk of losing money with his soccer team. He isn't really at risk for losing money with his NFL team. Not by a long shot.

Caldwell and Gus are here for at least 3yrs. more. They said it would take 3 yrs. to build the team and be competitive. That will take us to 2016 season. But I believe the asst. coaches/coordinators are not safe. and after this season they will be replaced. :thumbsup:

Quote:There's the bit of info I didn't know about.

Khan is at risk of losing money with his soccer team. He isn't really at risk for losing money with his NFL team. Not by a long shot.
Ding,ding,ding.   :thumbsup:

Quote:I don't care what sport you play.  Changing coach every year is not a recipe for success.

That's true, but at the same time I think having a 0, 1, or 2 win season would make Khan pause, and possibly pull the lever on Gus.  I don't think his job is so secure that we can just keep losing games this year.  I think at 0 wins Khan would pull the lever.  Unless we had such a rash of injuries that it would have been impossible to be competitive.  At 1 or 2 wins, I think he considers it.  Gus's seat would be REALLY hot for next year if not.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:That's true, but at the same time I think having a 0, 1, or 2 win season would make Khan pause, and possibly pull the lever on Gus.  I don't think his job is so secure that we can just keep losing games this year.  I think at 0 wins Khan would pull the lever.  Unless we had such a rash of injuries that it would have been impossible to be competitive.  At 1 or 2 wins, I think he considers it.  Gus's seat would be REALLY hot for next year if not.  
Maybe... 

I think 2 wins this season would definitely bring about a red flag. But I doubt we see this team that bad. They should get healthy at some point and Bortles will take over.

I think 2 wins in 2015 MIGHT be enough to make a change though.... I mean that would be a clear backwards step.

I still think that Dave and Gus told Khan to expect this kinda of product for at least the first 2 seasons.... they haven't been able to fix everything yet. They still have time.

Bortles is the biggest key. If he provides a spark and some wins, Dave will have plenty of time to put talent on the team. And Gus' job is only in jeopardy when Dave feels he has given him enough talent to win and he isn't.

Quote:Ding,ding,ding.   :thumbsup:

No.  No ding.  They've already been relegated.

Plus, that doesn't really explain why you would change managers over and over.  I'm not a BPL fan, but that doesn't seem like the sensible thing to do if you want long term success.

Quote:Maybe... 

I think 2 wins this season would definitely bring about a red flag. But I doubt we see this team that bad. They should get healthy at some point and Bortles will take over.

I think 2 wins in 2015 MIGHT be enough to make a change though.... I mean that would be a clear backwards step.

I still think that Dave and Gus told Khan to expect this kinda of product for at least the first 2 seasons.... they haven't been able to fix everything yet. They still have time.

Bortles is the biggest key. If he provides a spark and some wins, Dave will have plenty of time to put talent on the team. And Gus' job is only in jeopardy when Dave feels he has given him enough talent to win and he isn't.

Did you watch last week?  A 2 win season is definitely possible.

Quote:No.  No ding.  They've already been relegated.

Plus, that doesn't really explain why you would change managers over and over.  I'm not a BPL fan, but that doesn't seem like the sensible thing to do if you want long term success.
Dude.  I even provided a link.  Read it next time. I'm trying to help you understand.  They can be relegated several times to continuously lower leagues. They are facing a second relegation at the moment if drastic improvement doesn't take place.

Here's another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_foo...gue_system