Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What three positions do we need to address first in order to compete?

After two games, it looks like a good bit more than three positions need to be addressed.  It is also clear that there are some nice pieces being put together.   In your opinions - what three positions should be addressed first so that the Jags can realistically be expecteted to start rolling off consistent wins?  Let's assume for the sake of argument that Blake Bortles is starting soon, and let's also assume that Justin Blackmon never plays for the Jaguars again.   If I could give my three things, they would be:

1.  Draft or acquire a top center.  First priority.  We tried to get Mack and failed.  Tiime to get a stud at center.

2.  Draft or acquire a guard that can play on both the left and right side.  Linder looks solid so far and Zane, not so much.   

3.  Draft a tight end that can catch and block.  

I think that if the Jags can find players to fit these three holes, they would be in the playoff hunt.  Add on some future drafts and FA classes, and this team could be elite.  As young as they are, project this out two or three years and the Jags could be a team that nobody wants to play.  Being a selfish guy, I am hoping the three above items can get checked off soon so that we can start winning a few games in the meantime.

What three positions do you think the Jags should address first?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

FS

RG

C

Not gonna say QB cause he's already on the roster.

The OLine has to be a high priority objective, guard and center.  My third guy may surprise, as I would want a playmaker safety to pair with Cyprien.

Quote:The OLine has to be a high priority objective, guard and center.  My third guy may surprise, as I would want a playmaker safety to pair with Cyprien.
I would like to see a healthy Colvin at FS next year.

I like the first guy's suggestion of a TE, but I want one that can not only catch and block, but with speed and size enough to stretch the seams and pose matchup problems.

I also want a young pass rushing DE.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

OLINE - exclamation point.

A better Oline enables Bortles to be the QB (in Gus' world)

A better Oline supposedly enables Gerhart to get his 4.5 yards per carry and keep the defense off of the field.

Next year -- once the line is fixed -- if we still have issues then we need to look beyond the players.

O-Line

Free Safety

TE

Only 3?

One of these years.............

C

RG

FS

then we need depth all over the place.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM by badger.)

but but Bowanko... the "future"

Quote:After two games, it looks like a good bit more than three positions need to be addressed.  It is also clear that there are some nice pieces being put together.   In your opinions - what three positions should be addressed first so that the Jags can realistically be expecteted to start rolling off consistent wins?  Let's assume for the sake of argument that Blake Bortles is starting soon, and let's also assume that Justin Blackmon never plays for the Jaguars again.   If I could give my three things, they would be:

1.  Draft or acquire a top center.  First priority.  We tried to get Mack and failed.  Tiime to get a stud at center.

2.  Draft or acquire a guard that can play on both the left and right side.  Linder looks solid so far and Zane, not so much.   

3.  Draft a tight end that can catch and block.  

I think that if the Jags can find players to fit these three holes, they would be in the playoff hunt.  Add on some future drafts and FA classes, and this team could be elite.  As young as they are, project this out two or three years and the Jags could be a team that nobody wants to play.  Being a selfish guy, I am hoping the three above items can get checked off soon so that we can start winning a few games in the meantime.

What three positions do you think the Jags should address first?

C- We have the worst C situation in football, it's arguably the most important position on the offensive line, and needs to be shored up with a high end talent.

FS- Pete Carrol's defense needs a FS with range, the Jaguars don't have anyone on their current roster that fits that mold, that's one of the reason we give up so many explosive plays in the pass game. Winston Guy and Josh Evans shouldn't be on a an NFL roster.

RG- Brandon Linder is an unknown, if he plays welll this year great, I have a sneak suspicion that won't be the case.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM by KL1gus.)

Nobody said Leo ? Middle linebacker would need an upgrade as well.

center, left and right guards, right tackle, tight end, safeties, linebackers, running back.

in that order

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

I think we need more than 3.

Center, Right Guard, Running Back, Tight End, and that's just the offense.  

We also need some younger guys on defense.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I would like to see a healthy Colvin at FS next year.

I like the first guy's suggestion of a TE, but I want one that can not only catch and block, but with speed and size enough to stretch the seams and pose matchup problems.

I also want a young pass rushing DE.

That's an interesting thought. Although I think we'd need to add CB to the list then (Blackmon and Ball are decent players, they could be back next season, but they're year to year guys basically).

Quote:Nobody said Leo ? Middle linebacker would need an upgrade as well.

Careful.  Talk like that gets you flamed around here.  Apparently Poz is the embodiment of the football gods and can do no wrong.

He sucks in coverage though and hasn't been very good in run D.

Assessment like this should come in the offseason.  Maybe by late season Bowanko is a fixture at C, Linder is opening holes in the run game, and Jensen is making big catches at TE.  Why assume guys with 0 and 2 NFL games started are automatic busts?

C

FS

LB

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

One of these years.............

Center

Quarterback

Head Coach

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

C, FS, TE