Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles ready to start?

Quote:I'd settle for just someone serviceable at center and RG.  

Still  -- I'm sticking to by prediction from preseason  -- Blake is the starter by week 6. 
I figured he'd be in there by the bye week, and there's nothing to indicate that won't happen. 

The line doesn't have to be Pro Bowl.  They just can't be toilet bowl, which is where they're at today.  Getting Pasztor back will help, but they still need to tighten up the C and RG positions, and that has to happen quickly. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM by badger.)

Quote:Zane Beadles started all 19 games last year. Apparently he just needs the right quarterback.

He also earned the reputation of being their worst guy.

And whatever he has done in the past doesn't excuse his horrible play thus far.

Quote:i just think Bortles would make more plays but too your point he might turn the ball over a lot more.

And the moment he does, we'll have the usual suspects ready to pounce, blasting Caldwell for drafting him, and Bortles for being a bust. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:But we should trot the savior out there because that fixes everything. 
And we should wait 5 more years to draft and develop capable linemen - so that our fears of our QB not panning out, because he may get hit a couple of times, can be put to rest...

Hate to break it to ya, but you can't wait on having great talent all around your QB - otherwise you will be waiting for an eternity...

This is a big boy league, where they get paid big boy money.

Quote:I figured he'd be in there by the bye week, and there's nothing to indicate that won't happen. 

The line doesn't have to be Pro Bowl.  They just can't be toilet bowl, which is where they're at today.  Getting Pasztor back will help, but they still need to tighten up the C and RG positions, and that has to happen quickly. 

Outside of getting them on steroids, what can you do?

Quote:Zane Beadles started all 19 games last year. Apparently he just needs the right quarterback.
But but but, are you saying that a competent QB may actually make the other players around him look good?

Uh oh, we may not want to let this cat out of the bag...

Quote:He also earned the reputation of being their worst guy.

And whatever he has done in the past doesn't excuse his horrible play thus far.
The worst guy on the top rated offensive line in the league.  Let's put that into proper context. 

Even if Blake was as bad as Henne (which is highly unlikely after 4 games of pre-season, completely outplaying Henne) it would be better than watching Henne stink it up. I rather have Blake do it and improve off of playing. You don't improve on the bench, and we don't need to sit him out because we're scared.

Quote:And we should wait 5 more years to draft and develop capable linemen - so that our fears of our QB not panning out, because he may get hit a couple of times, can be put to rest...

Hate to break it to ya, but you can't wait on having great talent all around your QB - otherwise you will be waiting for an eternity...

This is a big boy league, where they get paid big boy money.
Swing and a miss.

Hate to break it to ya, but I've never said anything about waiting 5 years.  I think Bortles will start this year, and that it will be behind this line. 

Quote:The worst guy on the top rated offensive line in the league.  Let's put that into proper context. 

Ya, but he hasn't been any good here.  If him and Joeckel were decent in run blocking, we should be able to at least run to the left side.  We can't run to either side right now.

Quote:There is something to be said of the Peyton Mannings of the world and how they can move in the pocket... but, man IDK if Bortles is that good as a pocket passer.

With the line we got now, just having awareness of a dirty pocket and knowing when to get out of it will help.

Quote:Swing and a miss.

Hate to break it to ya, but I've never said anything about waiting 5 years.  I think Bortles will start this year, and that it will be behind this line. 
No, but if you're looking to have good players at every position - you will be waiting a very long time....

The jury is still out on some of the moves we have made... 

We will give them time still, since they deserve it, but a competitive team (one that is still in the game going into the 4th q) is something we have not built from what we have seen so far...

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 04:30 PM by badger.)

Quote:With the line we got now, just having awareness of a dirty pocket and knowing when to get out of it will help.

Ya it will help, but that wont help the fact that our blockers are weak as turds (cant block for the running game).

It also wont help the fact that our OC uses a zone blocking scheme that exposes our weaknesses rather than utilizing our strengths.

Quote:Even if Blake was as bad as Henne (which is highly unlikely after 4 games of pre-season, completely outplaying Henne) it would be better than watching Henne stink it up. I rather have Blake do it and improve off of playing. You don't improve on the bench, and we don't need to sit him out because we're scared.

Without the pressure of having to start early on, Bortles has been able to actually make significant strides in improving his mechanics.  That's a documented fact that nobody is going to dispute, so saying that he can't improve while being on the sideline to start his rookie year is complete garbage.  He already has.  He'll get his playing experience this year, whether that's sooner or later. 

Quote:Ya, but he hasn't been any good here.  If him and Joeckel were decent in run blocking, we should be able to at least run to the left side.  We can't run to either side right now.

Is that on him, or is it the result of opposing teams teeing it up knowing we're unable to run the ball?  It's not like he's the weakest link on this line, and if you've got deficiencies at multiple positions, that tends to create a ripple effect with offensive lines. 

The ONLY thing Bortles is learning from the bench is how not to play...

Quote:No, but if you're looking to have good players at every position - you will be waiting a very long time....

The jury is still out on some of the moves we have made... 

We will give them time still, since they deserve it, but a competitive team (one that is still in the game going into the 4th q) is something we have not built from what we have seen so far...
We're two games into the season. 

Quote:Is that on him, or is it the result of opposing teams teeing it up knowing we're unable to run the ball?  It's not like he's the weakest link on this line, and if you've got deficiencies at multiple positions, that tends to create a ripple effect with offensive lines. 

I don't know.  I'm just saying in theory we should be able to run left and have SOME success.

Quote:Ya, but he hasn't been any good here.  If him and Joeckel were decent in run blocking, we should be able to at least run to the left side.  We can't run to either side right now.

Like I said, it could be Peyton Manning masked Zane Beadle's weaknesses because he is an elite pocket passer. If Blake Bortles can be a great pocket passer, we may see that in several years.

Quote:Like I said, it could be Peyton Manning masked Zane Beadle's weaknesses because he is an elite pocket passer. If Blake Bortles can be a great pocket passer, we may see that in several years.

In several years none of the linemen will be here, so... the idea of the passer making the Oline better is irrelevant if we're talking about several years down the road.