Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles ready to start?

Quote:We're two games into the season. 
And it's not looking pretty when we are getting blown out 20+ points a game...

I keep hearing that we have been improving and that it's all about getting better...

Well, I don't SEE it... In fact, based on the the two games that we have played (one being against a team on a 9 game losing streak), we have been regressing - instead of progressing.

All I want to see is us field a competitive team...

If I want to watch a drubbing, I will watch Alabama play Georgia Southern. This is professional football. So play like it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:With the line we got now, just having awareness of a dirty pocket and knowing when to get out of it will help.

Watch many Colts games towards the end of his time there?  How about now?  Despite the draft picks committed to address those areas, Peyton had to make them play better by his preparation.

I was a sit him and develop the team guy, not with henne though Wink  Watching the preseason and the ability to "command", I'm not as concerned.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I have watched bb playing and watched and watched and In the four games he played in I have seen him face similar situations to what chad faced yesterday. .

and heres what happened.

Bb either

steps up to avoid prrssure

Rolls away from the pressure

Opts out to a dump off or

Throws a strike seemingly un phased bye a rusher bearing down on him.

He does not take sacks

He does not.miss on.many throws regardless of pressure

He does not miss on many throws if her rolls out

I have no idea how anyone who watches tape of both qbs could say chad gives us the best chance to win.

Quote:I have watched bb playing and watched and watched and In the four games he played in I have seen him face similar situations to what chad faced yesterday. .

and heres what happened.

Bb either

steps up to avoid prrssure

Rolls away from the pressure

Opts out to a dump off or

Throws a strike seemingly un phased bye a rusher bearing down on him.

He does not take sacks

He does not.miss on.many throws regardless of pressure

He does not miss on many throws if her rolls out

I have no idea how anyone who watches tape of both qbs could say chad gives us the best chance to win.
You watched Bortles facing the blitz on just about every play in the preseason?  Really? 

IIRC, he was sacked on his first play from scrimmage vs. Detroit in the final preseason game.  He had multiple passes that SHOULD have been intercepted but weren't. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:And the moment he does, we'll have the usual suspects ready to pounce, blasting Caldwell for drafting him, and Bortles for being a bust.
well those people are impatient and not thinking clearly.

diehardjagsfaninsocal

There were plenty of dropped INTs in the preseason but yeah I'm with you Big Grin

The Khan Years

Quote:well those people are impatient and not thinking clearly.
And they account for a good percentage of the people posting on this board. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I don't know.  I'm just saying in theory we should be able to run left and have SOME success.

You have to look at who the right defensive tackle is on the opposing defense. If he is a Pro Bowler, he will make our linemen look worse than they are.

He can improve on the bench mentally, but not physically and the speed of the game. You can't coach or learn those aspects of the game without playing. So he should be learning that now... There's no point to keep him out at all. It'll just slow down the goal of making the playoffs in 2015, and that IS the plan. Get the growing pains out of the way right now.

Quote:In several years none of the linemen will be here, so... the idea of the passer making the Oline better is irrelevant if we're talking about several years down the road.

OK one year then. Sorry, I was thinking of Blake's rookie contract.

Quote:And they account for a good percentage of the people posting on this board. 

I'm still sore from all my time Supporting GM Gene.  So I am patient to a degree.

The Khan Years

Quote:You have to look at who the right defensive tackle is on the opposing defense. If he is a Pro Bowler, he will make our linemen look worse than they are.

Well the Redskins were playing with backup nose tackles... we weren't facing the Seahawks here.  This was a team that had lost 9 straight and had multiple backups playing.

The line isn't as bad as Henne (and Gabbert, too, last year) make them look. It's not an all-pro bunch, but I believe that if it were Bortles in the game yesterday the Redskins would have only gotten about half as many sacks as they got, partly because I think Bortles has a natural pocket presence and knack for climbing it that Henne doesn't have, and also because I think he'd have been more decisive and gotten the ball out quicker on several plays.

Henne doesn't have the arm or the mental makeup to be a good QB.

Quote:The line isn't as bad as Henne (and Gabbert, too, last year) make them look. It's not an all-pro bunch, but I believe that if it were Bortles in the game yesterday the Redskins would have only gotten about half as many sacks as they got, partly because I think Bortles has a natural pocket presence and knack for climbing it that Henne doesn't have, and also because I think he'd have been more decisive and gotten the ball out quicker on several plays.

Did you actually watch the game yesterday?  That line is horrible. 

Quote:And they account for a good percentage of the people posting on this board.
agreed.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 04:42 PM by badger.)

Quote:The line isn't as bad as Henne (and Gabbert, too, last year) make them look. It's not an all-pro bunch, but I believe that if it were Bortles in the game yesterday the Redskins would have only gotten about half as many sacks as they got, partly because I think Bortles has a natural pocket presence and knack for climbing it that Henne doesn't have, and also because I think he'd have been more decisive and gotten the ball out quicker on several plays.

lol im afraid it is THAT bad

the only silver lining is that Bradfield is done torturing whoever is playing QB. Maybe honey boo boo comes back.

Quote:He can improve on the bench mentally, but not physically and the speed of the game. You can't coach or learn those aspects of the game without playing. So he should be learning that now... There's no point to keep him out at all. It'll just slow down the goal of making the playoffs in 2015, and that IS the plan. Get the growing pains out of the way right now.

The mental improvement is significant. There is nothing wrong with keeping him out the first two weeks. Starting now, however, it is a good idea to at least leave the door cracked open.

If waiting 5+ years to win constitutes as impatience, then count me in Poncho...

This is a results-oriented business.

Caldwell and the team have a freebie this year, to let the team "gel" together and whatnot... 

Year 3? I'm looking for results... This also goes back to getting Bortles game experience THIS YEAR, so we don't potentially falter a game or two because of "rookie" mistakes...

Quote:The mental improvement is significant. There is nothing wrong with keeping him out the first two weeks. Starting now, however, it is a good idea to at least leave the door cracked open.
Which they have done.  Gus didn't announce Henne was starting on Sunday.  He said he's his starter as of Monday. 

Quote:Well the Redskins were playing with backup nose tackles... we weren't facing the Seahawks here.  This was a team that had lost 9 straight and had multiple backups playing.

I am talking about future opponents on our schedule, not the Redskins.