Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles ready to start?

Quote:If waiting 5+ years to win constitutes as impatience, then count me in Poncho...

This is a results-oriented business.

Caldwell and the team have a freebie this year, to let the team "gel" together and whatnot... 

Year 3? I'm looking for results... This also goes back to getting Bortles game experience THIS YEAR, so we don't potentially falter a game or two because of "rookie" mistakes...

Calm down man.  Everybody knows next year Bortles will without question be the undisputed starter.  There is no 3-5 year plan.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I am talking about future opponents on our schedule, not the Redskins.

Well if we cant get it done against the Eagles or the Redskins backups, the future is not bright

Quote:And it's not looking pretty when we are getting blown out 20+ points a game...

I keep hearing that we have been improving and that it's all about getting better...

Well, I don't SEE it... In fact, based on the the two games that we have played (one being against a team on a 9 game losing streak), we have been regressing - instead of progressing.

All I want to see is us field a competitive team...

If I want to watch a drubbing, I will watch Alabama play Georgia Southern. This is professional football. So play like it.

We've lost one game by 20+ points, and another one by 17 (which included a garbage TD at the end).  We're still just 2 games into the season. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Which they have done.  Gus didn't announce Henne was starting on Sunday.  He said he's his starter as of Monday. 

Gus said all of the right things today. His pressers are one reason he is my favorite coach.

Quote:I disagree.  Bortles could become a turnover machine once he's in there behind that line with those receives and no running game.  For all his faults, Henne has been better this year at minimizing the turnovers.  That's not a ringing endorsement for Henne, but it is a legitimate concern with a rookie QB.

Knowing how impatient some on this board are, if he struggles at all, they'll be firing off the bust label almost immediately. 

I'd rather see him be a turnover machine and take his lumps this year, than doing it next year.  I also don't think he'd have THAT many interceptions, even behind that line.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Calm down man.  Everybody knows next year Bortles will without question be the undisputed starter.  There is no 3-5 year plan.
We know that man.

We want him to be playing like a polished 2nd year veteran, as opposed to a rookie, next season.

Keeping him from obtaining game-experience most likely hinders any possibility of that.

Quote:Well if we cant get it done against the Eagles or the Redskins backups, the future is not bright

What if Bortles started those two games?

Quote:I'd rather see him be a turnover machine and take his lumps this year, than doing it next year.  I also don't think he'd have THAT many interceptions, even behind that line.  

The concern about putting Bortles behind a terrible line is sack fumbles, not interceptions.

Quote:We've lost one game by 20+ points, and another one by 17 (which included a garbage TD at the end).  We're still just 2 games into the season. 
One that we still could not stop, even when they were trying to give us the ball...

I understand we are two games into the season. The alarming thing is that this sort of play has been consistent - and we don't want it to carry over.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 04:47 PM by badger.)

Quote:What if Bortles started those two games?

we still lose due to our defense being lost out there

and lack of a running game

Quote:Did you actually watch the game yesterday?  That line is horrible. 

Quote:lol im afraid it is THAT bad

the only silver lining is that Bradfield is done torturing whoever is playing QB. Maybe honey boo boo comes back.

I agree, the line is not good, that's why even with someone back there whose strength is pocket presence against a bad front like the Redskins I still think there would have been quite a few sacks, but having looked at all of the plays that Henne got sacked on, quite a few of them would have been avoidable for a QB who happens to be good at what I think Bortles is good at.

Quote:What if Bortles started those two games?
It's much better knowing that our rookie QB is making his mistakes this season - along with our sub-par team... 

Isn't the whole plan to be a playoff contender, and not just competitive (which is what we were supposed to be this year), next year - with Bortles at the helm?

What good does it do when we know what a player like Henne gives us, and we still go down, with him at the helm?

And don't mention the whole "injury" thing because I dispelled that notion with you in the other thread last night.

Quote:I'd rather see him be a turnover machine and take his lumps this year, than doing it next year.  I also don't think he'd have THAT many interceptions, even behind that line.  
And he's going to get his opportunity this year.  We'll see if he's able to limit mistakes once he gets in there.  I'm hoping he does well. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I agree, the line is not good, that's why even with someone back there whose strength is pocket presence against a bad front like the Redskins I still think there would have been quite a few sacks, but having looked at all of the plays that Henne got sacked on, quite a few of them would have been avoidable for a QB who happens to be good at what I think Bortles is good at.

Having pocket presence behind a line that doesn't provide you with a pocket is the issue.  The Redskins were collapsing the pocket all day long. 

Does a bear [BLEEP] in the woods?

That has the same answer as your question.

Quote:And he's going to get his opportunity this year.  We'll see if he's able to limit mistakes once he gets in there.  I'm hoping he does well. 
We are all hoping he does ok, but it's not a BAD thing if he doesn't play great - as long as he still makes plays and shows us what he can do (like the preseason).

I would gladly take a Peyton Manning-esque rookie season and him turn out to be a real game changer afterwards, than I would if he was sheltered like a game manager and told not to take risks. 

Now I am starting to sound like TMD...

Quote:One that we still could not stop, even when they were trying to give us the ball...

I understand we are two games into the season. The alarming thing is that this sort of play has been consistent - and we don't want it to carry over.

This team hasn't been consistently bad through two games.  That completely ignores the first half of the Philly game where they played extremely well on both sides of the ball.  But, if you need to do that to push this position, knock yourself out.

Quote:This team hasn't been consistently bad through two games.  That completely ignores the first half of the Philly game where they played extremely well on both sides of the ball.  But, if you need to do that to push this position, knock yourself out.
You are right, we played a STELLAR game the first two quarters of the Philly game.

Too bad we didn't finish and gave up 30+ unanswered points. 

I would rather play a gritty 4 quarters and win the game than I would, playing a great 2 quarters and getting blown out.

Quote:You are right, we played a STELLAR game the first two quarters of the Philly game.

Too bad we didn't finish and gave up 30+ unanswered points. 

I would rather play a gritty 4 quarters and win the game than I would, playing a great 2 quarters and getting blown out.

It's a young team that has a lot of growing to do.  That will come over the course of this season.  Again, we're only 2 games into it. 

Peyton Manning was a turnover machine as a rookie. 28 interceptions and lead them to a 3-13 record. I'm not saying Bortles is Peyton Manning but who cares if he turns the ball over? I'd rather him do it now and be able to look at the film and have the chance to learn from them.