Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Breakdown of OL/Chad Henne via BCC

Quote:http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/11/20...35-seconds

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/15/6...-breakdown

Had Henne, had a quick release like Manning, 8/10 sacks could potentially have been avoiding.

And if frogs had wings....

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Nice way to change the disagreement though. This was about the sacks being on the line or Henne now we're saying they are coverage sacks. I gotcha.
I said four of them were on Henne. That was one of them.  I said he should have thrown it away.  I didn't call it a coverage sack. 

I think six of the sacks were on the O-line.  Sorry that doesn't work for you. 

We agree that Henne stinks, the O-line stinks, and the skins were successful stacking the box and sending pressure.  If we want to blame different people for two or three of the 10 sacks, I'm sure we'll be fine and can move on without any weirdness or whatever. 

Do you think a better QB wins this game for the Jags?  

Quote:I said four of them were on Henne. That was one of them. I said he should have thrown it away. I didn't call it a coverage sack.

I think six of the sacks were on the O-line. Sorry that doesn't work for you.

We agree that Henne stinks, the O-line stinks, and the skins were successful stacking the box and sending pressure. If we want to blame different people for two or three of the 10 sacks, I'm sure we'll be fine and can move on without any weirdness or whatever.

Do you think a better QB wins this game for the Jags?

I don't know if we win the game but I feel the offense would have been effective. You can never make definitive statments like that but we would have had a chance. I'm not a start Bortles at any cost guy but we have to have compentent qb play to at least have a chance.

I feel dooped into think that was possible this year

<div> 
</div>
Quote:<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'>@ryanohalloran</a>
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran' title="Follow Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter">Follow</a></div>

<p class="" style="font-size:18px;">Times of Henne's 10 sacks (either sacked or in trouble): 3.85, 2.22, 3.10, 2.88, 3.35, 3.01, 2.54, 2.47, 2.50 and 2.75 seconds. <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguars</a>

<p class="" style="font-size:18px;"> 

^ This is a large part of my position.  Five seconds may have passed before he was sacked on a few of those - but he was in trouble much quicker. 

That is why I initially refuted the blaming of 6 or more sacks on Henne. 

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Roboto, 'Segoe UI', Calibri, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
<div> 
</div>

<p style="font-size:18px;"> 

^ This is a large part of my position.  Five seconds may have passed before he was sacked on a few of those - but he was in trouble much quicker. 

That is why I initially refuted the blaming of 6 or more sacks on Henne. 

</div>
Thats actually plenty of time on most of them. There's another acticle in this thread that talks about that. The league average is 2.75 seconds. So 6 on Henne is actually spot on if you only want to use that as your measuring stick.  

Apparently ProFootballFocus gave Zane Beadles a positive grade on pass blocking yesterday, only starter in the positives.

Quote:Thats actually plenty of time on most of them. There's another acticle in this thread that talks about that. The league average is 2.75 seconds. So 6 on Henne is actually spot on if you only want to use that as your measuring stick.  

2.75 doesn't make sense as a measuring stick if he's trying to throw downfield. (as he was mandated to do by coaches)  We'll check out the all-22 tomorrow and know more on that end of things. 

Maybe my number of 4 on Henne will increase after seeing some open receivers. 

Why are we not running 3-step drop one-read plays if Henne doesn't have more than 3 seconds to throw? Quick slants, outs, and screens...Even the worst of teams in the NFL understand this.

I don't get why the Jags don't. It is really weird, almost like they are purposely playing like poop.

Quote:Why are we not running 3-step drop one-read plays if Henne doesn't have more than 3 seconds to throw? Quick slants, outs, and screens...Even the worst of teams in the NFL understand this.

I don't get why the Jags don't. It is really weird, almost like they are purposely playing like poop.
Jedd Fisch

Quote:2.75 doesn't make sense as a measuring stick if he's trying to throw downfield. (as he was mandated to do by coaches) We'll check out the all-22 tomorrow and know more on that end of things.

Maybe my number of 4 on Henne will increase after seeing some open receivers.

That's just how it is. 3 seconds and the ball needs to be gone. Anything more and you are stitting in heaven. And that's only the sacks. What about the other throws he didn't get sacked? Where were this deep completions? He just couldn't answer the challenge.

Quote:Why are we not running 3-step drop one-read plays if Henne doesn't have more than 3 seconds to throw? Quick slants, outs, and screens...

They tried several of those.  In the play-by-play breakdown at NFL.com the vast majority of Henne's attempts are described as "short."  (20 of 28) Though a few of those were likely "intermediate," many were inside 10 yds from the L.O.S.

Three rookies and Mike Brown being depended on didn't help. Plenty of dropped passes again too. 

Quote:Why are we not running 3-step drop one-read plays if Henne doesn't have more than 3 seconds to throw? Quick slants, outs, and screens...Even the worst of teams in the NFL understand this.

To me this is an example of the concept people are not getting. You aren't suppose to have more than 3 seconds. That's what you get. Anything more than that and you get what we faced on defense in 2009. Every week a qb had a rating in the 100's. But when you face a solid defense you get 3 seconds.

I like how sack 5 and sack 7 look identical if you watch Henne yet one is Henne and the other is the line. On both he plants the back foot, steps up, and is dodging instead of being able to read the field for a half second. I think this guy put too much stock in whether a D-lineman literally got physically around an O lineman. But for an Olineman getting pushed back so far that the Dlineman can reach out and grab the QB is still a failure.

Also watch sack 9, specifically watch the guy that makes the sack and how much he is slowed down, it is vitrually a free runner yet the guy splits the blame. Sack 10 we get into a more wishy washy situation where the lineman was beat but Henne maybe could have avoided the sack, and almost definitely could have had a first down throwing to Robinson with correct timing(this was also the side of the field he was looking at, oddly enough).

Henne did worse than I thought but he probably did not cause 6 sacks. He has no idea how to do a rollout though. For a guy to be a 5+ year vet and not know how to do a rollout is reason enough to bench him. The point of a rollout is that you run AWAY from the pocket, not see a rusher and walk into him. I know it was a poor attempt to kind of juke the guy, but Henne does this "move" with some frequency.

I would go with 3 being his fault from what I can see here(plays 1, 3, and 10). Potentially more depending on whether first reads were open when he reached the back of his drop on 5 and 9, what happened on the other end of play 8(which was a designed quick pass since one of the lineman did a chop block) and whose fault the protections leading to the free rushers were.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 07:57 PM by Chuckd.)

It's hit or miss on the release time, with some of the better quarterbacks right in the middle. Are there exceptions?  Obviously, some of these guys extend the play quite a bit.  Also, many of those who extend the play quite a bit, you could argue those teams have pretty good rushing games. They're not a perfect stat as you can see....Gabbert shows up with a quick release but we know he made one read every time. 

I just read Andre Wares tutorial in ESPN Mag today on the plane back from DC and in his mind, he needs 2.5 seconds to get a sack that's a game changing play.

Rank Name Team Drop backs To Throw 1  Russell Wilson SEA 274 3.14 2  Michael Vick PHI 366 3.12 3  Cam Newton CAR 266 3.04 4  Robert Griffin III WAS 309 3.01 5  Alex D. Smith SF 244 2.9 6  Andrew Luck IND 371 2.86 7  Kevin Kolb ARZ 217 2.84 8  Matt Cassel KC 260 2.82 9  Josh Freeman TB 274 2.79 10  Christian Ponder MIN 330 2.78 11  Aaron Rodgers GB 373 2.76 12  Tony Romo DAL 335 2.76 13  Jay Cutler CHI 278 2.74 14  Matt Ryan ATL 331 2.73 15  Ben Roethlisberger PIT 316 2.73 16  Brandon Weeden CLV 356 2.72 17  Philip Rivers SD 285 2.72 18  Matthew Stafford DET 369 2.71 19  Sam Bradford SL 278 2.71 20  Mark Sanchez NYJ 291 2.68 21  Drew Brees NO 357 2.67 22  Matt Schaub HST 260 2.67 23  John Skelton ARZ 187 2.64 24  Joe Flacco BLT 299 2.62 25  Eli Manning NYG 331 2.59 26  Andy Dalton CIN 315 2.59 27  Blaine Gabbert JAX 271 2.58 28  Carson Palmer OAK 347 2.57 29  Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF 281 2.57 30  Ryan Tannehill MIA 261 2.57 31  Peyton Manning DEN 304 2.51 32  Matt Hasselbeck TEN 240 2.5 33  Tom Brady NE 335 2.49

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...-to-throw/

<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

they play calling doesnt help.... if i see one more jed special toss to the short side with the largrest back idk what ill do

Quote:they play calling doesnt help.... if i see one more jed special toss to the short side with the largrest back idk what ill do

I want to throw a damn brick through my TV every time I see them pitch the ball out to big, lumbering Toby. Completely asinine.

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Quote:I want to throw a damn brick through my TV every time I see them pitch the ball out to big, lumbering Toby. Completely asinine.

We are securing that 1st overall draft pick for 2015.  :thumbsup:

Maybe we can trade it away for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd next year with hopes of competing in 2016.

2 words:  HOT READ

Quote:We are securing that 1st overall draft pick for 2015.  :thumbsup:

Maybe we can trade it away for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd next year with hopes of competing in 2016.

But we can't start Bortles until our o-line is fixed. And they need a year to gel after it's been fixed.. 2017 would be better

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.