Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question on Caldwell

Just want to start off by saying I have read the board a lot, but this past loss has led me to finally creating an account to vent my frustrations.

So everybody had been praising Caldwell and how much better he was than Gene. He sold everybody else on "starting from the bottom" when he got rid of everybody and put an absolutely horrific product on the field last season. He got a pass for some of his bad draft picks. When he did not work hard to keep Knighton and Smith, people said it was to start from scratch, but that has not work out great either. This defense has allowed 75 points so far this season. The offense has put up 27. The Jags are becoming the laughing stock of the league and the only thing that can save them is Bortles starting, which they refuse to do this season.

I just wonder why Caldwell is getting a pass when Gene Smith was absolutely killed by everybody on here. I'm not making this thread as a "OMG da skyz iz falleng!" like Krazy does, just looking to see what others think about Caldwell.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Just want to start off by saying I have read the board a lot, but this past loss has led me to finally creating an account to vent my frustrations.

So everybody had been praising Caldwell and how much better he was than Gene. He sold everybody else on "starting from the bottom" when he got rid of everybody and put an absolutely horrific product on the field last season. He got a pass for some of his bad draft picks. When he did not work hard to keep Knighton and Smith, people said it was to start from scratch, but that has not work out great either. This defense has allowed 75 points so far this season. The offense has put up 27. The Jags are becoming the laughing stock of the league and the only thing that can save them is Bortles starting, which they refuse to do this season.

I just wonder why Caldwell is getting a pass when Gene Smith was absolutely killed by everybody on here. I'm not making this thread as a "OMG da skyz iz falleng!" like Krazy does, just looking to see what others think about Caldwell.

Because it's only his 2nd year. Gene was getting a pass around this time too. If the play of the players he brought in doesn't improve (Beadles, Gerhart, Joeckel, etc.), his seat will start to get warmer too.

The job isn't finished yet. When the rebuild is complete then you can judge the results.

Do you complain to the contractor who's building your home that the roof is leaking before the roof has been completed?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Just want to start off by saying I have read the board a lot, but this past loss has led me to finally creating an account to vent my frustrations.

The jury is stil out like any other 2nd year GM. I will say this, DC needs to add some high end NFL-ready talent to this team in 2015 FA period. I don't care if it's on offense or defense, this team needs playmakers and guys than can consistently win their individiual one on one battles.

He's getting a pass, for now.

Actually, he was getting a pass last year. People including myself are starting to complain about it. If this continues and we are a 3-13 team or something, then you absolutely will hear calling for his head.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:The job isn't finished yet. When the rebuild is complete then you can judge the results.

Do you complain to the contractor who's building your home that the roof is leaking before the roof has been completed?

If the contractor isn't building the roof right, you typically know before it's finished.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM by BasshunterX.)

I think we simply need an Oline. If you guys notice, The defense broke after our 3rd straight 3 and out last game. They arent getting rest.

Once we get the O-line fixed, We'll get more first downs and a more rested defense that can play launching themselves everywhere. It'll just simply help the entire team beyond words. If Im caldwell, Im starting to look at trade possibilities before the deadline, Next years potential FA and draft crop bigtime.

Also getting rid of JUST Chad "Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde" Henne will improve this team bigtime.

Quote:The job isn't finished yet. When the rebuild is complete then you can judge the results.

That last line really makes no sense at all. I can counter it just as easily by saying that if a contractor told me it would take 3 years to build a house and in year 2 it looks like all he did was dig a hole, would I complain?

I only posted this to see what others think. I was not complaining and calling for his job, just was wondering why every move Caldwell made has always been praised, even when he has made some bad ones like letting Knighton and Smith leave. The Jags also have a lot of cap space and just aren't using it. Why not try to bring a guy in that could help the team out?

Quote:If the contractor isn't building the roof right, you typically know before it's finished.

So you know enough right now to be able to say whether or not Caldwell has failed?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We the fans are the inspectors at different stages of the build, and we don't approve.  Demolish and rebuild again.

Caldwell has yet to:

-Take a big WTH pick that doesn't at least look like it might pan out

-Trade a future 2nd for a 3rd

-Trade picks away to trade up multiple times

-Draft a class that has little promise

You can bring up Knighton and Smith, but you should also bring up Derek Cox, who he identified as someone who wouldn't be worth keeping.  Caldwell has earned himself another year.  (Something Gene never did, and most people gave Gene a shot during his first two years in any case)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:So you know enough right now to be able to say whether or not Caldwell has failed?

Not saying he has failed. Just saying he has made some questionable moves. Not sure how much Beadles and Gerhart can improve from what they are. You are what you are.

Quote:I think we simply need an Oline. If you guys notice, The defense broke after our 3rd straight 3 and out last game. They arent getting rest.

Once we get the O-line fixed, We'll get more first downs and a more rested defense that can play launching themselves everywhere. It'll just simply help the entire team beyond words. If Im caldwell, Im starting to look at trade possibilities before the deadline, Next years potential FA and draft crop bigtime.

I think we all agree with the o line; it's by far the worst in the NFL. This team still needs playmakers and general depth on defense, at every level of the defense. We can't cover the TE, the passrush is inconsistent, and we arguably have the worst starting FS in football. The team needs playmakers badly.

Quote:The jury is stil out like any other 2nd year GM. I will say this, DC needs to add some high end NFL-ready talent to this team in 2015 FA period. I don't care if it's on offense or defense, this team needs playmakers and guys than can consistently win their individiual one on one battles.

Agree with this. The team has so much cap space, although I am not sure how much they will have for the 2015 free agent class. I assume it will still be a lot. Open up the checkbook and at least try to help put a competitive product on the field. I will say that he may be forced to do so because if the team finishes 5-11 or worse this season, Caldwell could be looking at a make it or break it type of season in 2015. If he goes 4-12, 4-12, and 6-10, I think he will be fired.

The question is.....were we really THAT bad off when the new regime took over.  Teams aren't supposed to be so bad for so long.  Only the Browns and Rams have won less games over the last 5 years.  The Raiders have us beat.  When will it get better?  Who knows.

One of these years.............

How much criticism did Gene take in week 2 of his second year? Way too early to draw any conclusions. May as well be optimistic. 

Becoming?  We've been the laughing stock of this league for years now.  Hope aboard, the trains leaving!

Well Caldwell certainly has his work cut out for him.The fact that he allowed this offensive line to be fielded is somewhat concerning. Fisch should of lost his job last year. The little bit of buzz that was generated by BB in the preseason is deflated. It's not looking very good at all for Caldwell. I think his first strike was giving Monroe away for nothing last year.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:We the fans are the inspectors at different stages of the build, and we don't approve. Demolish and rebuild again.

I'm willing to bet you're in the minority with that sentiment.

Quote:Caldwell has yet to:

-Take a big WTH pick that doesn't at least look like it might pan out

-Trade a future 2nd for a 3rd

-Trade picks away to trade up multiple times

-Draft a class that has little promise

You can bring up Knighton and Smith, but you should also bring up Derek Cox, who he identified as someone who wouldn't be worth keeping.  Caldwell has earned himself another year.  (Something Gene never did, and most people gave Gene a shot during his first two years in any case)

So Knighton and Smith having career years after leaving Jacksonville is offset by the fact that he let Cox walk? Come on man. The Knighton and Smith moves were bad and paying huge money for Beadles and using Gerhart as a starting RB were even worse. There are better RB options that are still free agents RIGHT NOW. They got a career backup that was never really impressive and expected him to be a workhorse RB. By many accounts, Beadles was the weak spot on the Broncos line last year and Caldwell gave him a big contract to come here.

I like a lot of the moves Caldwell has made, especially in the draft. Just saying he has to be questioned at some point, and I'm starting to question him right now.