Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question on Caldwell

Quote:I don't think they are that bad. If you say they are bad, and they destroyed the Jaguars, then the Jaguars are just terrible. 

They won 3 games last year, and didn't have the cap space/draft resources to improve drastically. They lost to a two win Texans team in week one, they're bad.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: What happens after this season if Bortles plays and the team still goes 5-11? I think he would potentially be fired if this were the case.

Parade in his honor.  5 games would be a miracle at this point.

One of these years.............

Quote:1 step at a time.  This year we fixed the defense with Ziggy, Red, Clemons, and others.  Next year we fix the offense.

Patience.

Is this sarcastic or real? The Jags D has let up 75 points in two games. The next closest at this point is 63. That's just horrible.

Quote:They won 3 games last year, and didn't have the cap space/draft resources to improve drastically. They lost to a two win Texans team in week one, they're bad.
Last year was last year. 

Quote:The bad thing for him though is that what happens when Bortles doesn't light the world on fire in his first action as a 2nd year QB? I can't imagine Bortles not starting at some point this season, but what if Caldwell and Gus hold true to their word and don't play him at all? Would Jags fans be ok with the team going 6-10 next year, even if Bortles looks good? I think people would be optimistic, but I'm not sure that'd save Caldwell's job.

In the back of my head, I have a thought that Caldwell knows how bad this team is. He knows that even if Bortles plays this year, the team isn't going to win a lot of games. What happens after this season if Bortles plays and the team still goes 5-11? I think he would potentially be fired if this were the case.

If Blake's play in preseason translates to regular season, no way Caldwell gets fired even with a 5-11 finish. At the very least, it buys him another year. If we're a middling team in-spite of Blake being a pro-bowl level QB, then we can talk about Dave being on the hot seat. Then again, if Blake is playing at that level, I would suspect we'd be in the playoff hunt.

Quote:Agree with this. The team has so much cap space, although I am not sure how much they will have for the 2015 free agent class. I assume it will still be a lot. Open up the checkbook and at least try to help put a competitive product on the field. I will say that he may be forced to do so because if the team finishes 5-11 or worse this season, Caldwell could be looking at a make it or break it type of season in 2015. If he goes 4-12, 4-12, and 6-10, I think he will be fired.

Having cap space is important but there has to be guys out there good enough to sign. Usually there's a reason when guys are available. Spending big money on average or aging players won't help anything.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I will argue that Gene's first draft (at the time) looked better than any class that Dave has brought in so far (until Blake gets the playing time and takes Dave's class over the top)

So in other words... you're judging by completely different standards?

Think about what you are saying here.

Gene's first class wasn't really that good in the long run.  At the time it may have looked good.  But then again Dave's second draft has looked absolutely fantastic.  But you want to wait and see what happens with Caldwell's second class (Blake in particular).  Gene's first draft class however is being judged on how it looked at the time.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

If Caldwells evaluation of Henne over Tebow is any indication of his ability to assess talent, then he should be gone.

NFL Winning percentage:

Henne: 18.5

Tebow: 56.3

TD/INT Stats:

Henne: 58/63

Tebow 17/9

You will RARELY win when you throw more INTs than TDs....   Sad

Quote:1 step at a time.  This year we fixed the defense with Ziggy, Red, Clemons, and others.  Next year we fix the offense.

Patience.
What in Gods name are you talking about?  This might be the most useless post I've ever read.

2 Games, 75 points. Yup, Fixed!

Quote:If Caldwells evaluation of Henne over Tebow is any indication of his ability to assess talent, then he should be gone.

NFL Winning percentage:

Henne: 18.5

Tebow: 56.3

TD/INT Stats:

Henne: 58/63

Tebow 17/9

You will RARELY win when you throw more INTs than TDs....   Sad
You are on the wrong board.

Quote:So in other words... you're judging by completely different standards?

Think about what you are saying here.

Gene's first class wasn't really that good in the long run.  At the time it may have looked good.  But then again Dave's second draft has looked absolutely fantastic.  But you want to wait and see what happens with Caldwell's second class (Blake in particular).  Gene's first draft class however is being judged on how it looked at the time.

Gene's first class looked average when you view it with hindsight. Back then though? That first draft looked fantastic.

Now, if we view Dave's draft "today"? How has his draft looked fantastic? Joeckel looks no better than Monroe. Cyprien struggled early on last year before playing better. And after a quarter of good football play, we lost him due to injury...again.  Gratz missed most of last year. Ace is suspended. Chris Smith has already been waived. Telvin Smith shows promise. We spent a 4th on Colvin who won't see the field this year. Our two 2nd round WRs has been in and out of practice/games due to injuries. Our 3rd round guard was pressed into the starting lineup...and has struggled so far.

How is this "fantastic"?

There's potential there, especially with Blake. But comparing Gene's 1st class (in their 1st/2nd years) to Dave's 1st class (in their 1st/2nd years), and quite frankly, so far...it hasn't exactly been a homerun for Dave.

Quote:Cousins > RGIII. 

lol, no.

People need to stop bagging on Toby. He can't block for himself. He'll be fine. I'm awaiting judgement until Bortles is playing and the Oline is at least starting it's future 5 all at once (Bowanko @ C and Paz at RT)

Beadles hasn't been a great pick up so far... but every GM misses on some picks and FA's sometimes. And maybe his play has been bad because of poor play from the C next to him?

I'm not faulting Caldwell for our teams struggles just yet.

Caldwell hasn't had a bone headed Smith pick yet.

Alualu had many people scratching their heads. Trading up for Gabbert wasn't popular. Punter in the 3rd. Trading away future picks for an oft hurt Cox in the 3rd. Signing M. Thomas to an extension.

These were all seriously critical moves in Smith's tenure.

If Caldwell's biggest head scratchers are signing a former Heisman candidate with fresh legs to replace our aging "star" RB and signing a veteran LG in an attempt to fix a horrible Oline, I'm OK with it. Even if they don't pan out, he can bounce back from those moves by drafting guys that develop into starters. He's had two drafts and some good picks within them. Bortles is key. His success, even if not measured in W's and L's, will be the big factor in seat temperature.

Quote:lol, no.

Cousins >>>>> post injury RG3

Yes.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:The Redskins are a bad
football team, no matter who's playing QB. They have an awful defense, and Kirk Cousins is a middling talent. How many games did they win last year? Kirk Cousins started for them last year as well and was pedestrian, because he's a pedestrian talent. The Jaguars made him look like Joe Montana yesterday, if you give any QB 5+ seconds in the pocket at this level you'll get ripped to pieces. Couple that with an offense that can’t move the ball and you’re setup for disaster.

I don't think they are a bad football -- their issue was coaching last year, NOT talent...