Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question on Caldwell

Quote:Caldwell has yet to:

-Take a big WTH pick that doesn't at least look like it might pan out

-Trade a future 2nd for a 3rd

-Trade picks away to trade up multiple times

-Draft a class that has little promise

You can bring up Knighton and Smith, but you should also bring up Derek Cox, who he identified as someone who wouldn't be worth keeping.  Caldwell has earned himself another year.  (Something Gene never did, and most people gave Gene a shot during his first two years in any case)

I will argue that Gene's first draft (at the time) looked better than any class that Dave has brought in so far (until Blake gets the playing time and takes Dave's class over the top)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Agree with this. The team has so much cap space, although I am not sure how much they will have for the 2015 free agent class. I assume it will still be a lot. Open up the checkbook and at least try to help put a competitive product on the field. I will say that he may be forced to do so because if the team finishes 5-11 or worse this season, Caldwell could be looking at a make it or break it type of season in 2015. If he goes 4-12, 4-12, and 6-10, I think he will be fired.

This team needs to finish around .500 in year 3, anything else is unacceptable. We have a ton of cap space and high end draft picks, the way this team has played over the last 6 quarters, it looks like we're headed for yet another
top 3 pick. I know it's hard to win at this level, but you have to at least be competitive.

Quote:The question is.....were we really THAT bad off when the new regime took over. Teams aren't supposed to be so bad for so long. Only the Browns and Rams have won less games over the last 5 years. The Raiders have us beat. When will it get better? Who knows.

It was a complete rebuild. From top to bottom. For comparisons sake we were the equivalent of an expansion team last year. Its going to take longer than 2 offseasons.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Well Caldwell certainly has his work cut out for him.The fact that he allowed this offensive line to be fielded is somewhat concerning. Fisch should of lost his job last year. The little bit of buzz that was generated by BB in the preseason is deflated. It's not looking very good at all for Caldwell. I think his first strike was giving Monroe away for nothing last year.

Yeah after he let Knighton and Smith walk, I was a little upset. I decided to give him a pass since he was building the team and I agreed with starting from scratch. Then he decided to trade his LT away and he only got a 4th rounder for him. I actually only liked the Joeckel pick because I thought about Monroe at LT and Joeckel at RT and how dominant the OL could end up being. He then traded part of that away for basically nothing. That was the first head scratcher for this regime.

Quote:I'm willing to bet you're in the minority with that sentiment.
I guess the majority enjoys losing. Let the losing streak continue.

Quote:It was a complete rebuild. From top to bottom. For comparisons sake we were the equivalent of an expansion team last year. Its going to take longer than 2 offseasons.

No matter how you slice it knarnn, the team has to at least be competitive. getting blown out week in and out is unacceptable at this level, I'm as optimistic as any other fan sporting the teal glasses, but the last 6 quarters have been disconcerting to say the least. Getting blown out of the water but an RGIII-less/Desean Jackson-less Redskins team that has lost 9 straight games doesn't inspire confidence; I'm not sure how any fan can questions one's pessimism.

Quote:It was a complete rebuild. From top to bottom. For comparisons sake we were the equivalent of an expansion team last year. Its going to take longer than 2 offseasons.

That's a poor excuse for fielding such a putrid team.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:This team needs to finish around .500 in year 3, anything else is unacceptable. We have a ton of cap space and high end draft picks, the way this team has played over the last 6 quarters, it looks like we're headed for yet another
top 3 pick. I know it's hard to win at this level, but you have to at least be competitive.

And I don't mind starting from scratch and having a high pick after the first season. When you regress in year 2 and STILL end up with a top 5 pick, you have to scratch your head. The one thing saving him is Bortles. That looks like a great pick as of right now, but keeping him on the bench isn't helping anybody at all. He will basically be a rookie QB next year without a ton of talent around him. That team won't do better than .500.

If the season gets out of hand and the Jags are 1-9 with 6 games left, why not start Bortles and at least give him some in game experience? I think that's far more beneficial than having him watch from the sidelines.

The bottom line is you can't get out scored 75-10 in 6 quarters by a good but not great Eagles team, and a bad Redskins team playing their backup QB.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM by Jags437.)

Quote:The bottom line is you can't get out scored 75-10 in 6 quarters by a good but not great Eagles team, and a bad Redskins team playing their backup QB.

It's nothing new.  Last 5+ years, we are by far worst team in the league.  And not getting any better.

One of these years.............

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:And I don't mind starting from scratch and having a high pick after the first season. When you regress in year 2 and STILL end up with a top 5 pick, you have to scratch your head. The one thing saving him is Bortles. That looks like a great pick as of right now, but keeping him on the bench isn't helping anybody at all. He will basically be a rookie QB next year without a ton of talent around him. That team won't do better than .500.

If the season gets out of hand and the Jags are 1-9 with 6 games left, why not start Bortles and at least give him some in game experience? I think that's far more beneficial than having him watch from the sidelines.

That's the thing with the GM though. If you hit on your QB, you're set for a good long while. Even with all the misses that Gene had, if Blaine developed to a franchise QB, he'd still be here. You can say the same with Dave. Most of his picks so far looks like solid players, though none looks like a star other than Blake.

Of course, Blake's a QB. So if he's a star QB...then Dave's job just got a lot easier.

Quote:The bottom line is you can't get out scored 75-10 in 6 quarters by a good but not great Eagles team, and a bad Redskins team playing their backup QB.
Cousins > RGIII. 

redskins were only bad with rg3 as QB, even before the season started ppl were saying Cousins is way better then RG3. With cousin i think they could win the division and make the playoffs with RG3 they will be picking in the top 10 of the draft.

1 step at a time.  This year we fixed the defense with Ziggy, Red, Clemons, and others.  Next year we fix the offense.

Patience.

Quote:It's nothing new.  Last 5+ years, we are by far worst team in the league.  And not getting any better.

It'd be different if the Jaguars were turning the ball over consistently, but that's not the case. This team is getting blown out while playing mistake-free (turnover wise) football, it's sheer domination in every facet of the game.

Quote:1 step at a time.  This year we fixed the defense with Ziggy, Red, Clemons, and others.  Next year we fix the offense.

Patience.

Yes...defense is fixed.  Hopefully the offense will look as good as the defense next year!  Unless I missed some sarcasm font.

One of these years.............

Quote:redskins were only bad with rg3 as QB, even before the season started ppl were saying Cousins is way better then RG3. With cousin i think they could win the division and make the playoffs with RG3 they will be picking in the top 10 of the draft.
The Redskins are a bad
football team, no matter who's playing QB. They have an awful defense, and Kirk Cousins is a middling talent. How many games did they win last year? Kirk Cousins started for them last year as well and was pedestrian, because he's a pedestrian talent. The Jaguars made him look like Joe Montana yesterday, if you give any QB 5+ seconds in the pocket at this level you'll get ripped to pieces. Couple that with an offense that can’t move the ball and you’re setup for disaster.

Quote:Cousins > RGIII. 

That's not saying much.

Quote:The Redskins are a bad
football team, no matter who's playing QB. They have an awful defense, and Kirk Cousins is a middling talent. How many games did they win last year? Kirk Cousins started for them last year as well and was pedestrian, because he's a pedestrian talent. The Jaguars made him look like Joe Montana yesterday, if you give any QB 5+ seconds in the pocket at this level you'll get ripped to pieces. Couple that with an offense that can’t move the ball and you’re setup for disaster.
I don't think they are that bad. If you say they are bad, and they destroyed the Jaguars, then the Jaguars are just terrible. 

Quote:That's the thing with the GM though. If you hit on your QB, you're set for a good long while. Even with all the misses that Gene had, if Blaine developed to a franchise QB, he'd still be here. You can say the same with Dave. Most of his picks so far looks like solid players, though none looks like a star other than Blake.

Of course, Blake's a QB. So if he's a star QB...then Dave's job just got a lot easier.

The bad thing for him though is that what happens when Bortles doesn't light the world on fire in his first action as a 2nd year QB? I can't imagine Bortles not starting at some point this season, but what if Caldwell and Gus hold true to their word and don't play him at all? Would Jags fans be ok with the team going 6-10 next year, even if Bortles looks good? I think people would be optimistic, but I'm not sure that'd save Caldwell's job.

In the back of my head, I have a thought that Caldwell knows how bad this team is. He knows that even if Bortles plays this year, the team isn't going to win a lot of games. What happens after this season if Bortles plays and the team still goes 5-11? I think he would potentially be fired if this were the case.