Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Running back Situation

Anyone else totally confused about why they don't play Drob? I admit I was a big fan of Gerhart coming into the season, I thought he was going to be pretty good but I was wrong. He's slow Very slow. They are using him for all these stretch and screen plays when they should be playing Drob. Gerhart is not elusive enough or fast enough to run these plays, It would be different if he was breaking tackles and looking like Lynch but he's not. Although It's not all his fault he has the worst run blockers in the history of the league. All I'm am saying is that I would like to see them utilize Drob more. Especially on the plays they should be using him for, instead of forcing Gerhart in their.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I am confused by a lot of stuff this staff does, one of which is why Fisch won't run more inside zone running plays with Gerhart?

Quote:I am confused by a lot of stuff this staff does, one of which is why Fisch won't run more inside zone running plays with Gerhart?

Yeah I'm not a fan of Fisch's offense scheme

There's a lot to question about the offensive play calling so far this year.  It was terrific for about a quarter.  Since then we've seen 7 quarters of head scratching. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Fisch is a problem, as i stated in my thread from last week

I liked Gerhart as our main guy, but on a particular play yesterday, he had an opening on the left side, and instead, crashed into the middle of the line. Makes me question his vision. Still have faith Gerhart can get it going. He needs to use his vision, because with this offensive line, he needs to take advantage of the few holes he will get.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:I liked Gerhart as our main guy, but on a particular play yesterday, he had an opening on the left side, and instead, crashed into the middle of the line. Makes me question his vision. Still have faith Gerhart can get it going. He needs to use his vision, because with this offensive line, he needs to take advantage of the few holes he will get.
I don't know.  He might miss a read here or there, but the guy is getting hit in the backfield on just about every carry.  He's fighting just to get back to the line of scrimmage because the OL is too busy playing spectator. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

he gets hit in the backfield a lot mostly because of the type of running plays they call

when Fisch decides to run belly then it looks a whole lot better

There was one stretch play yesterday that almost worked.  It's not all on Gerhart.  On the play Joeckle completely wiffed on his guy.  The FB had to step into that gap to cover the defender, then the guy the FB was supposed to block shot the gap and took Gerhart down.  If Luke doesn't wiff on his guy, Gerhart had a gap that would have been good for 7-10 yards.

So part of it is Gerhart, but the other part is the Oline.  Gerhart isn't a guy who's going to break tackles at the LOS.  He does that after he gets a head of steam at the 2nd level.  He'll improve once we see defenses back off the LOS to cover the pass when Blake is playing.

His overall concept seems to be OK I'm a big fan of playaction and getting the qb outside with options... but he has to show the ability to adapt to the lack of experience/talent that we have on offense... and I agree DRob should be playing a lot more snaps.
Section 118

The running back situation is more a QB situation.

No one is safe.

Quote:The running back situation is more a QB situation.

And the QB situation is just as much an offensive line situation. 

This team has so many problems, it's hard to say what THE problem is.  Every problem contributes to all the other problems.   It's just like last year.   Complete disarray and ineptitude.  

I love Gus, but when you've "changed the culture" and the coaches and all the players are claiming they are "better than this," and we have a game like yesterday, the blame has to go all the way to the top.   This team seems to be completely unprepared to play a game.  

The coaches are too stubborn. 

Quote:The coaches are too stubborn. 

When the team is this unmotivated and unprepared, I don't think stubbornness is the issue. 

Quote:And the QB situation is just as much an offensive line situation.

This team has so many problems, it's hard to say what THE problem is.  Every problem contributes to all the other problems.   It's just like last year.   Complete disarray and ineptitude.  

I love Gus, but when you've "changed the culture" and the coaches and all the players are claiming they are "better than this," and we have a game like yesterday, the blame has to go all the way to the top.   This team seems to be completely unprepared to play a game.  
nope

It's simple: speed to the outside, iron to the middle. Gerhart is iron, Robinson is speed.

I think it's too early to write off Gerhart.  As said by many others, I'm not sure the staff is using him to take advantage of his strengths.  He is absolutely not a stretch guy... and it doesnt help that on every stretch play at least one olineman will either whiff or get completely run over.  Gerhart actually has some wiggle but its when moving forward.  Its not running sideways and then cutting 90 degrees to get up field.

Also, it seems like there is a mismatch in philosophy.  I could be wrong but I thought we were going after more finesse, mobile lineman.  But Gerhart is more of a roadgrader type runner that would do better in a roadgrader type offense.  Which is what they have at Stanford.  I could see him flourishing on some of those mid-90s Steelers teams.  Or even doing well on a team like the Niners.  

I don't think 2 Yard Toby is the answer.. But, I also don't think he's the problem either.. I think he's being misused.. He should be a short yardage bruiser back to complement a natural 3 down back.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Nobody ever asked why the Cowboys didn't use Moose Johnson more when they had Emmitt Smith.   IN the same manner, I don't think we should be asking about the utilization of our RBs.

Quote:Nobody ever asked why the Cowboys didn't use Moose Johnson more when they had Emmitt Smith.   IN the same manner, I don't think we should be asking about the utilization of our RBs.

Well, we don't have an Emmitt at our disposal.. And no, we really can't utilize our RB's because none of them are performing like a true starter right now..

[Image: SaKG4.gif]