Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Locker Room Wants Blake Bortles To Start

Quote:Don't expect the rest of the team to have their hearts in the game knowing the best QB is on the bench. It's human nature!
Completely understandable. A rookie qb won't fix all of the dysfunction I watched yesterday.
No commercial messages in sigs

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I want Blake to play as much as most others here, but you can't compare those two.  Blake was the 3rd player taken in the draft and was given a multi million dollar contract.  Hurns was an undrafted player who was given a $5k signing bonus.

It doesn't matter what Hurns contract is, it's his value to the team as a player that matters, and as a player he's valuable.

At this point he's shown he's much more valuable than a guy like Ace Sanders, and if the draft were redone he'd probably be a 2nd round pick.

Quote:Completely understandable. A rookie qb won't fix all of the dysfunction I watched yesterday.

Bad things have a fairly good chance of snowballing and looking worse than they really are in the NFL. 

Had we had some sustained drives where the defense was able to actually catch their breath, things may have been different at times.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 09:48 AM by iapetus.)

Quote:Bad things have a fairly good chance of snowballing and looking worse than they really are in the NFL. 

Had we had some sustained drives where the defense was able to actually catch their breath, things may have been different at times.

Except unlike last week, the defence was bad from the start.

Last week they were dominant to begin with and wore down. Blaming it on Henne (and the rest of the offence) made sense then.

This week there's nobody to blame but themselves. And Henne. And the rest of the offence.

I think there's a strong sentiment in that locker room to not repeat the same mistake that the former staff made. If you look back to 2011, the situation is fairly similar. Gabbert showed enough promise in preseason that David Garrard was let go, with Gabbert moving to #2 behind McCown. After a semi-successful game 1 by McCown, things fell apart in game 2 on the road against the Jets (where we lost 32-3). That staff put in Gabbert in late in game 2 and he showed enough to make him start game 3.

That's no different to this year where Henne did OK in game 1, then played horrible in game 2. Now, we're talking about throwing Blaine Blake in to the fire.

Granted, from what we've seen of Bortles, he's the exact opposite of Blaine. He seems to relish the challenge of the game, rather than shrinking from it. That said, this staff has talked about the Blaine situation and not wanting to repeat it. I think Chad needs one-two more games like yesterday before they pull him.

Quote:I think there's a strong sentiment in that locker room to not repeat the same mistake that the former staff made. If you look back to 2011, the situation is fairly similar. Gabbert showed enough promise in preseason that David Garrard was let go, with Gabbert moving to #2 behind McCown. After a semi-successful game 1 by McCown, things fell apart in game 2 on the road against the Jets (where we lost 32-3). That staff put in Gabbert in late in game 2 and he showed enough to make him start game 3.

That's no different to this year where Henne did OK in game 1, then played horrible in game 2. Now, we're talking about throwing Blaine Blake in to the fire.

Granted, from what we've seen of Bortles, he's the exact opposite of Blaine. He seems to relish the challenge of the game, rather than shrinking from it. That said, this staff has talked about the Blaine situation and not wanting to repeat it. I think Chad needs one-two more games like yesterday before they pull him.

If the new regime is letting the old regimes way of doing things dictate what they are doing, we have bigger problems.

Quote:I think there's a strong sentiment in that locker room to not repeat the same mistake that the former staff made. If you look back to 2011, the situation is fairly similar. Gabbert showed enough promise in preseason that David Garrard was let go, with Gabbert moving to #2 behind McCown. After a semi-successful game 1 by McCown, things fell apart in game 2 on the road against the Jets (where we lost 32-3). That staff put in Gabbert in late in game 2 and he showed enough to make him start game 3.

I'm glad they threw Gabbert in there or else we might still be waiting for him to "develop".

Quote:Seems odd that Blake is being protected for injury concerns, but a guy like Hurns is sacrificed for a 4 yard gain on 4th and 16. Its borderline insulting to the other players.

That play still has me shaking my head... a lot of weird play calling by Fisch that puts serious concern up...

Luck sure does seem to make it work with an Oline that might be just as bad as ours. If Blake is as good as we hope he is, he can make it work with this Oline.

Quote:That play still has me shaking my head... a lot of weird play calling by Fisch that puts serious concern up...

I won't put anything on Fisch. Doubtless Hurns wasn't the first or only option on that play.

That play is 100% on Gus. He should have had the team kneeling out the clock. Thirty-one points down with Henne in at QB there was nothing to be gained by running more plays unless his idea was to help Henne pad his stats as justification for his continued presence on the field.

Quote:Bad things have a fairly good chance of snowballing and looking worse than they really are in the NFL. 

Clearly Chad Henne cant take the pressure not just refering to blitzs but anytime the team has to come from behind.  I am not sure if putting the rookie Blake Bortles in is the best idea behind this weak Oline & non-existent running attack but they have to do something drastic on both sides of the ball because being blown out by Washington a team that was worse than us last year & really hasnt improved much since they didnt even have a 1st round pick & their great Free Agency pick was injured early in the game (Jackson) not to mention RG3 being out at the start of the game... never shouldve been blown out this bad by a below average team...

Things arent looking good for the Jaguars.  I mean hardly any fans really expected this team to make the playoffs this year, so going 0-2 isnt the end of the world unlike other team's fans whom are worried that the odds of making the playoffs is really low after going 0-2 but my concern is how the team actually looks worse than the end of last season...

Quote:Clearly Chad Henne cant take the pressure not just refering to blitzs but anytime the team has to come from behind.  I am not sure if putting the rookie Blake Bortles in is the best idea behind this weak Oline & non-existent running attack but they have to do something drastic on both sides of the ball because being blown out by Washington a team that was worse than us last year & really hasnt improved much since they didnt even have a 1st round pick & their great Free Agency pick was injured early in the game (Jackson) not to mention RG3 being out at the start of the game... never shouldve been blown out this bad by a below average team...

Things arent looking good for the Jaguars.  I mean hardly any fans really expected this team to make the playoffs this year, so going 0-2 isnt the end of the world unlike other team's fans whom are worried that the odds of making the playoffs is really low after going 0-2 but my concern is how the team actually looks worse than the end of last season...

Why do you think Washington was worse than the Jaguars last year?

They had a worse record, but were they really worse?

The Jaguars got two wins against the worst team in the league, another against the Browns, and a third against a swooning titans team.

Washington actually had wins against playoff level teams last year, you know, the kinds of teams that were blowing the Jaguars off the field in the first half of games and running out the clock in the second half last year.

That's no different to this year where Henne did OK in game 1, then played horrible in game 2. Now, we're talking about throwing <del>Blaine</del> Blake in to the fire.

Major difference is that Blaine never played well in preseason in his rookie year, he was actually terrible.

Garrard was cut because he wasn't going to play anyway (he was injured) and we drafted our next QB.... Not because Gabbert showed anything in the preseason.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Major difference is that Blaine never played well in preseason in his rookie year, he was actually terrible.

Garrard was cut because he wasn't going to play anyway (he was injured) and we drafted our next QB.... Not because Gabbert showed anything in the preseason.

Blaine didn't look as good as Blake, but he looked the best of our 3 QBs then (David, Luke, and Blaine).

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 10:18 AM by SuperJville.)

Quote:Blaine didn't look as good as Blake, but he looked the best of our 3 QBs then (David, Luke, and Blaine).
Can't remember the other guys' stats, but IIRC gabberts rating even in preseason against scrubs was in the 60s maybe 70s

Edit: McCown had the best preseason...
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Can't remember the other guys' stats, but IIRC gabberts rating even in preseason against scrubs was in the 60s maybe 70s

Edit: McCown had the best preseason...

He threw a total of 18 passes in two games.

It's easy to forget Blaine's first game as a Jaguar given what we know now, but he looked like he had a chance his first time on the field : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGu44HgmH54

Russel Wilson was thrown into the fire.  He seems to be doing okay.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Russel Wilson was thrown into the fire.  He seems to be doing okay.

But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But But Gabbert

Russell Wilson also had a 1500 yard rusher in Marshawn lynch to take the pressure off of him, along with a competent OL to generate those yards.

Bortles?

At this point...not so much.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

And your point? Just as there has been many QBs who played well their rookie year, there are even more who flamed out. I'm not advocating necessarily against playing Blake rather than Henne (the opposite in fact).What I am stating is, based on the quotes from our staff (Fisch and Dave, IIRC), is that they are hesitant to throw Blake out there before he is ready, much like Blaine was.