Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Locker Room Wants Blake Bortles To Start

Quote:I think Blake Bortles will fix the quarterback position after all of the pieces are in place for him to succeed. Until then, just changing quarterbacks alone will fix nothing on offense.

That's your opinion. And just as you can detract from people virtually guaranteeing Bortles is better after watching him play two pre-season games against scrubs, they can say the same thing in that we do not know what Bortles can do until he's in the game for real.  That time is rapidly approaching.

<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

<div> 
Who exactly has had that strong belief?

</div>

Oesher and FBT

Quote:What he'll be evaluating is hoping he has a job next year.  It will come to a point if we have another loss like this or two, he'll start Bortles because it will give him a reason to keep his job.  This coach and GM are tied to Bortles and his success.  At some point, they're going to have to ride it, THIS year.

Exactly. I can't believe people don't think Bortles won't help this team. 

1) Henne created most of the sacks he took today (Much like Blaine Gabbert did 100% of the time)

2) Henne had several absolutely terrible passes both this week and last week to which the reciever had to adjust accordingly to, so how many YAC did that negate? 

3) Henne stares down a receiver so much that I can't believe he isn't picked almost every pass

Bortles has shown much more than all of the above.. so again like some cant comprehend, this is not the typical situation where you sit someone so they can learn. WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU LEARN FROM HENNE? OTHER THAN WHAT NOT TO DO? 

JW, this is for you, HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THIS? 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:Why won't it fix anything on offense?

Because if the offensive line sucks, he will get sacked anyway. Henne was sacked three times at Philadelphia, so Bortles would have to take less than three sacks to show improvement.

Quote:That's your opinion. And just as you can detract from people virtually guaranteeing Bortles is better after watching him play two pre-season games against scrubs, they can say the same thing in that we do not know what Bortles can do until he's in the game for real.  That time is rapidly approaching.

Yeah, this fits into my most recent post. Bortles has shown 10x more than Henne has in preseason. It'd be different if Bortles was so raw that you couldn't take the chance.

The skills Bortles has shown, along with his frame that would allow him to take some hits while adjusting show that he's definitely worth giving a chance to. 

It's too bad the coaches don't agree right now. 

Quote:Because if the offensive line sucks, he will get sacked anyway. Henne was sacked three times at Philadelphia, so Bortles would have to take less than three sacks to show improvement.

Apparently you missed all the action Bortles showed where he was extremely good at avoiding sacks. 

Oh and you missed all the posts on several threads showing where Henne basically sacked himself most of the 10 sacks much like Blaine Gabbert did. 

Bortles has mobility that Henne could dream of, and he gets rid of the ball a lot faster so he might not even have to get mobile to avoid sacks. 

Quote:Because if the offensive line sucks, he will get sacked anyway. Henne was sacked three times at Philadelphia, so Bortles would have to take less than three sacks to show improvement.

Wrong. I'm pretty sure you can sack Tom Brady three times in a game, but he's still going to beat your azz on a lot of snaps he stays upright. 

<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

That isn't true, things like this are not absolute.  Henne being sacked does not mean Bortles would have been sacked.  There were plays where Henne literally pulled a Gabbert and got sacked.  

As for your last sentence, what does that even mean?  This isn't the Philadelphia game and that doesn't mean squat.  Several of the sacks were the OL's fault, no doubt.  Several were also Henne's fault because of how he plays QB.

They literally drafted the best QB to play behind a poor OL.  That's isn't an excuse or a reason to hold him out.  I could probably come up with 8+ reasons why Bortles would be an improvement over Henne in terms of being sacked and how he would benefit the OL.  

One thing I noticed right away about Bortles, was he was actually very good at looking off defenders.  He's not just doing it, he's GOOD at it. 

Quote:That isn't true, things like this are not absolute.  Henne being sacked does not mean Bortles would have been sacked.  There were plays where Henne literally pulled a Gabbert and got sacked.  

As for your last sentence, what does that even mean?  This isn't the Philadelphia game and that doesn't mean squat.  Several of the sacks were the OL's fault, no doubt.  Several were also Henne's fault because of how he plays QB.

They literally drafted the best QB to play behind a poor OL.  That's isn't an excuse or a reason to hold him out.  I could probably come up with 8+ reasons why Bortles would be an improvement over Henne in terms of being sacked and how he would benefit the OL.  

We all know this. I don't think she watches the games like we do. 

We all know Bortles has shown 10x more mobility than Henne, and that Henne sacked himself so many times this year already for multiple reasons. 

Bortles had so many three step drop passes, whereas Henne just stands there like a big dummy waiting to get tackled. 

Some people can't realize this and just blame everything on the offensive line. 

The O Line looks pretty bad for running plays, but for passing plays, it's mostly Henne and his inability to avoid a sack or get rid of the ball. Unfortunately not everyone can see this. 

Quote:That isn't true, things like this are not absolute.  Henne being sacked does not mean Bortles would have been sacked.  There were plays where Henne literally pulled a Gabbert and got sacked.  

Exactly.

Andrew Luck had a horrible offensive line as a rookie.  Didn't stop him from looking like an NFL quality QB.  I agree the line is horrible and the worst I've seen us have, but that shouldn't be the reason to not play the kid.

Quote:One thing I noticed right away about Bortles, was he was actually very good at looking off defenders.  He's not just doing it, he's GOOD at it. 

You can add this to the many reasons Bortles should be starting. Basically if you're against Bortles starting at this point, you're just uninformed.

Blaine Gabbert never once looked good playing for Mizzu in college. He looked scared, afraid of hits, nervous, bad throws all the time. I watched as much tape on his as I could find when they announced we drafted him and I was confused to say the least. 

Bortles, looks completely different, plus his frame is very appealing. 

Quote:We all know this. I don't think she watches the games like we do. 

We all know Bortles has shown 10x more mobility than Henne, and that Henne sacked himself so many times this year already for multiple reasons. 

Bortles had so many three step drop passes, whereas Henne just stands there like a big dummy waiting to get tackled. 

Some people can't realize this and just blame everything on the offensive line. 

The O Line looks pretty bad for running plays, but for passing plays, it's mostly Henne and his inability to avoid a sack or get rid of the ball. Unfortunately not everyone can see this. 

The other thing is, a good QB will burn you big time stacking a box like these last two teams have done to us.  There was a play today where it was obvious the CB was dropping his man and going to blitz the outside.  If you're the QB, that WR becomes your hot read and you get him the ball immediately because the defender is unblocked.  Henne didn't change anything, didn't coordinate to the WR, and basically watched the CB run toward him and threw the ball right into the guys chest.

I am done with this thread. Obviously I am in the tiny minority of fans by preferring to trust the coach if he says Chad Henne should start another week.

Keep in mind he may have to answer the same question every week and eventually will start giving us different answers.

Quote:The other thing is, a good QB will burn you big time stacking a box like these last two teams have done to us.  There was a play today where it was obvious the CB was dropping his man and going to blitz the outside.  If you're the QB, that WR becomes your hot read and you get him the ball immediately because the defender is unblocked.  Henne didn't change anything, didn't coordinate to the WR, and basically watched the CB run toward him and threw the ball right into the guys chest.

See even I didn't know that because I honestly didn't watch the entire game. I got sick of it and turned it off. But stuff like that should be able to be noticed and say ok well this QB didn't make the changes, but someone else would have been able to.

You know what I wish we could make happen. I wish we could have someone like Peyton Manning as our QB for like just one game, or one season, and show that yeah it's possible to play offense with what we have and produce. 

I don't see Bortles ever becoming a Peyton Manning, but he definitely looks head and shoulders above Henne, as most QB's do. Put him in. 

Quote:I am done with this thread. Obviously I am in the tiny minority of fans by preferring to trust the coach if he says Chad Henne should start another week.

Keep in mind he may have to answer the same question every week and eventually will start giving us different answers.

I honestly figured you would have quit this thread sooner. You're literally only going by what the coaches said. You're not even trying to form an opinion of your own. That's actually pretty sad. 

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 01:09 AM by Eye of the Storm.)

Quote: 

<div>Adam from Jacksonville:

Gus is right. Henne sure gives us the best chance to win. Imagine if we had Bortles in today, we'd be getting killed! P.S. John Cyprien, I miss you.

John: The belief has been strong to this point that Henne does give the Jaguars the best chance to win. It’s hard to get a read on if or how much that’s changing. The offensive line struggled Sunday. Really struggled. There appeared at first glance to be some plays where Henne could have done more. There also appeared at first glance to be plays where everyone could have done more. My first thought after the game was that it was hard to see where Blake Bortles could have fared much better. Henne was under that much pressure and 10 sacks is difficult to overcome. My later thoughts have been that you do wonder if Bortles had fared better. We don’t know, but there will be a lot of questions this week about whether we’re closer to finding out.

Tonight's O-Zone.

Who exactly has had that strong belief?

</div>
Very good question. The whole team saw Bortles lighting it up in preseason and now they see Henne generating a whole yard of offense in nearly a half of a game. I know the preseason is the preseason, but Bortles really was doing some special things. I would have to think Gus would start to lose the team if he keeps starting a player that they think gives them a lesser chance to win. All the "improving every day" stuff will start to be tuned out when they're pounded in the media every week as the losses are piling up and questions are being asked. I say let the team vote on the starter. At least that way they're losing with the guy they want leading them.

Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:See even I didn't know that because I honestly didn't watch the entire game. I got sick of it and turned it off. But stuff like that should be able to be noticed and say ok well this QB didn't make the changes, but someone else would have been able to.

You know what I wish we could make happen. I wish we could have someone like Peyton Manning as our QB for like just one game, or one season, and show that yeah it's possible to play offense with what we have and produce. 

I don't see Bortles ever becoming a Peyton Manning, but he definitely looks head and shoulders above Henne, as most QB's do. Put him in. 

There's probably not going to be another Peyton Manning.  Dude is one of the best ever.  That said, lots of other QBs not named Peyton Manning have won Superbowls while Peyton Manning has been in the NFL.  ;-)

Quote:Very good question. The whole team saw Bortles lighting it up in preseason and now they see Henne generating a whole yard of offense in nearly a half of a game. I know the preseason is the preseason, but Bortles really was doing some special things. I would have to think Gus would start to lose the team we have if he keeps starting a player that they think gives them a lesser chance to win. All the "improving every day" stuff will start to be tuned out when they're pounded in the media every week as the losses are piling up and questions are being asked. I say let the team vote on the starter. At least that way they're losing with the guy they want leading them.

I really like this post. People like JW can sit back and only listen to a coach (which only says what they say to benefit them, they don't tell the truth) while you can sit back and watch the action, players body language, situations, and form your own opinion. 

There really isn't anything otherwise to see to say that Bortles shouldn't be starting over Henne at this point. 

Henne was always a stop gap player. He was never and will be the answer. And he's not someone you want to learn from either. 

I think Bortles won't start until Pazstor is back.  Once he's back, I believe our O-line will improve.  Would like to see us grab somebody to improve the line too though.  Ours is so bad, that there has to be someone that's an upgrade out there.  I think Pazstor is a huge upgrade to Bradfield at RT.  We could also use some help at RB.  Someone who is actually fit to run the things they're calling for Gerhart (which obviously doesn't work).  

Our coaches need to see that they don't work too.  

Insanity n.

1. Constantly calling the Stretch Play with Toby Gerhart

(Ex. Fans in Jacksonville wonder about the insanity of their coaches.  "Another stretch play for Gerhart?  Seriously?"

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.