Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Locker Room Wants Blake Bortles To Start

The "wait for improvement around him" arguement doesnt hold much water. He wont play til he's 27 if that's the case.

Complete Rebuilds take time, but good qb play can mask out a lot of that, at least make you look competitive. Take ATL for example. Ryan's play elevated them to playoff contenders, and while they werent super bowl contenders right away, he made that rebuild process a lot more tolerable. Luck is doing a similar thing in Indy. That indy team wont be winning any titles in the near future, but luck AT LEAST MAKES IT A GAME WORTH PAYING FOR. Rebuilding is fine, but you gotta look competent doing it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 01:19 AM by Eye of the Storm.)

Quote:I really like this post. People like JW can sit back and only listen to a coach (which only says what they say to benefit them, they don't tell the truth) while you can sit back and watch the action, players body language, situations, and form your own opinion. 

There really isn't anything otherwise to see to say that Bortles shouldn't be starting over Henne at this point. 

Henne was always a stop gap player. He was never and will be the answer. And he's not someone you want to learn from either. 
Henne simply isn't passing the eye test with the rest of the team. I hate to be a CT, but you really have to start wondering if the team was nudged into making Henne a captain as to not have an early season QB controversy...... 

Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:I think Bortles won't start until Pazstor is back.  Once he's back, I believe our O-line will improve.  Would like to see us grab somebody to improve the line too though.  Ours is so bad, that there has to be someone that's an upgrade out there.  I think Pazstor is a huge upgrade to Bradfield at RT.  We could also use some help at RB.  Someone who is actually fit to run the things they're calling for Gerhart (which obviously doesn't work).  

Our coaches need to see that they don't work too.  

Insanity n.

1. Constantly calling the Stretch Play with Toby Gerhart

(Ex. Fans in Jacksonville wonder about the insanity of their coaches.  "Another stretch play for Gerhart?  Seriously?"

I don't think they ran the stretch play today with TG.  They only called seven run plays total, for eight total yards from TG.  That's an issue, big time.

<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:Henne simply isn't passing the eye test with the rest of the team. I hate to be a CT, but you really have to start wondering if the team was nudged into making Henne a captain as to not have an early season QB controversy...... 

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. I always sit back and wonder, if we look at our players and form a pretty big observation that we all seem to share, how in the world do the teammates that play with him think? I know we don't know everything, but when we're looking at stuff so black and white on an HD screen, like how do you argue that? 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:I don't think they ran the stretch play today with TG.  They only called seven run plays total, for eight total yards from TG.  That's an issue, big time.

Not sure how they ran him (at least what it's called), but whatever they're doing it's clearly not working.  I think we really need an RB to compliment Gerhart if we're going to get the most out of him.  (Still not sure what everyone sees in him, but I hope they're right)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Not sure how they ran him (at least what it's called), but whatever they're doing it's clearly not working.  I think we really need an RB to compliment Gerhart if we're going to get the most out of him.  (Still not sure what everyone sees in him, but I hope they're right)

I just think at least to this point, hasn't had a ton of opportunity to show it but he's definitely not overwhelming anyone.  He got hurt early in the game last week and this week they called seven run plays.  You're going to have to give any primary back the ball more than seven times to be successful, and I still can't figure out why DRob isn't in the game more often.  The only play I remember him lining up at RB today was a play action rollout Hurns dropped a wide open TD on.

<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:Not sure how they ran him (at least what it's called), but whatever they're doing it's clearly not working.  I think we really need an RB to compliment Gerhart if we're going to get the most out of him.  (Still not sure what everyone sees in him, but I hope they're right)

The running game is so abysmal right now that they couldn't compliment Gerhart with anyone. He got a 4 year 16m deal, and he's not even worth half of it. 

There are some that sit there and say Adrian Peterson couldn't run behind this line, and I beg to differ. That's how bad Gerhart is. He's not a starting every down back, at least not for a terrible team like the Jags. Maybe insert him on a Broncos, or Patriots offense and he might flourish, but not here. 

Quote:Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. I always sit back and wonder, if we look at our players and form a pretty big observation that we all seem to share, how in the world do the teammates that play with him think? I know we don't know everything, but when we're looking at stuff so black and white on an HD screen, like how do you argue that?

Exactly. Like I was saying before, if redskins players were wondering why he wasnt starting, our own guys have to be asking the same thing.

As far as locker room dynamics: i know a lot of people downplayed it, but there's NO WAY some weren't offended/put off by gus contradicting the competition philosophy. A few guys were just given jobs because of age/experience (henne, mclendon).

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks'>[Image: WgtGTkGE_bigger.jpeg]Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/511388880189550592' title="12:39 AM - 15 Sep 2014">3m</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">I'm blaming the Jags poor start on my avatar. Cannon Ball jinx!! I'll change it before next weekend.

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">All will be good next week folks. DJ will change his avatar of him doing a cannon ball into one of the Jags stadium pools and all will be right again.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks'>Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/511377410164412416' title="11:54 PM - 14 Sep 2014">52m</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Jordy Nelson receiving yards (209)... JAX total yards (148)

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks'>Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/511378200765935616' title="11:57 PM - 14 Sep 2014">51m</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Last JAX offensive nugget…they had 4 more completions (14) than sacks allowed (10).

Seems like if Chad H messes up next week, Blake B could get the start sooner rather than later.

Quote:Seems like if Chad H messes up next week, Blake B could get the start sooner rather than later.

That's the sad thing is that it should take another week. This was honestly one of the worst QB performances of all time. And you cannot blame it all on the O Line, RB's, or WR's. 

If he isn't starting against the Colts, the game will probably be over at the start of the 2nd quarter. Doing the same thing over and over isn't going to change the results.

Quote:If he isn't starting against the Colts, the game will probably be over at the start of the 2nd quarter. Doing the same thing over and over isn't going to change the results.

I've had a hard time finding a coaching regime for the Jags in the last 15 years that felt differently. (2007 is the only exception, and we should have went farther)

I can see if we had a Alex Smith throwing the ball then I would even say sit Bortles. Chad Henne? No way. Now Im at the point I don't want Bortles playing for Gus Bradley. Let him ride and die with Henne til he gets the pink slip.

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks  52m
<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Jordy Nelson receiving yards (209)... JAX total yards (148)

<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> 

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks  51m
<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Last JAX offensive nugget…they had 4 more completions (14) than sacks allowed (10).

</div>
It's sad that I'm completely numb to being the league laughing stock now.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

I don't even want that bozo Henne on the team, even as a backup. There is not a single positive to his game. Terrible accuracy, terrible pocket presence, low football IQ, not clutch whatsoever ( if you're down 10 with Henne It's a wrap, hell if you're down 3). He is the opposite of Bortles. Never takes accountability either, every post game is "we this we that". He is a joke.

"Huck it and Chuck it" CLOWN

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 05:21 AM by iapetus.)

Quote:If it's a matter of Bortles not being ready yet, that's fine.  But I think it's ludicrous if they're sitting him because Henne gives us the best chance to win.  Because he doesn't.  Bortles does, ready or not.  

It's a matter of Bortles not being ready yet.

And a lot of the same fans who want him thrown in now will be singing a different song if he gets started, gets hammered behind a porous offensive line, throws plenty of rookie interceptions and makes the mistakes that a first year starter at QB without supporting talent where he needs it will inevitably make.

Last time things looked this bad, Luke McCown was starting. "Anyone but McCown" didn't exactly make things better, did it?

Again, none of this should come as a great surprise to anyone. Henne was always statistically not that far off Gabbert when the two were competing, and we all know Gabbert isn't exactly a first-ballot hall of famer. Bortles being better is hardly a surprise - we all knew that anyway, including the coaching staff.

Quote:How do we even know that Jason Cole has any idea what is going on in the locker room?

Exactly.  It's pure speculation and in fact the players that have voiced an opinion on the matter have expressed confidence in Henne although I'm sure people will say they're just toting the company line.  The only people that know for sure what's going on in the locker room are the people inside.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I can't imagine what there is to smile about but I'm sure Bradley will find it and smile about it.

You have to smile even during the bad times. Otherwise it becomes unbearable.