Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
State of the fan base

Quote:How about you tell the Jaguars ticketing department to stop sending me emails wanting us to renew our season tickets?

They clearly want our money, so at the very least, we can voice our opinion on a dinky message board - where our opinions will most likely not be heard by people who can make real changes.

That is why.

When you spend thousands of dollars for a product like this, please make it presentable at the very least.

I don't think people understand money let alone how business works. If I played like Henne has for 7 years I'd been fired long time ago from my job.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:We are witnessing the depth of damage done by the years of incompetent general management at the hands of Gene Smith being allowed by Wayne Weaver. Gus and Dave didn't create this mess, they inherited it when they took the job. If you want to be really upset at someone, be upset at Gene Smith or Wayne Weaver for creating/allowing it. Dave can't draft really good players for every position in just two drafts. He can only get what's available and every draft does not have the same quality of players in every position of need that we have. This is also true of free agent acquisition. The amount of players needed by this franchise after the debacle created by Gene Smith amounts to just about having to replace every player on the team. We were that bad talent wise. Many of these guys who are currently on the roster wouldn't be here if Dave could help it; but positions have to be filled, even if it's with bodies that aren't the best. Coaches have to try to work with what they've been given. Their hand is pretty much dealt to them, good or bad. They do the best they can; but realistically, you can only polish a (bad word removed) so much. Given the circumstances, we as fans have choices to make...

*vent and scream and threaten bloody lynch mobs such as seen in Salem while hunting witches...or

*come to grips with the fact that perhaps many of us developed unrealistic expectations for this season. This is only year two of a near total gut and rebuild. We were all influenced by the 'talking heads' who said things like "their doing it right" and "they may be better than you think".

Well...we are doing it right, but that doesn't mean a great turn around right this minute. I think that a 6-10 season may still be within the realm of possibility, but it's probably going to require Gus to go ahead and 'pull the trigger' and start Bortles. At this point, I see no advantage to keeping him benched, and no advantage to playing Henne.
+1000

Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:You cant reason with Adam. He is like a terminator of mediocrity l.

We adding you to our drinking game. We already have one regarding TMD and M. Lewis.

We've added you every time you whine about Henne.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:This is basically how I feel. I know some people were expecting playoffs or 9-7 this year or whatever, but I was expecting around 4-6 wins and calling that a successful season.

But, this is just so much worse than what I can handle. I suffered through David Garrard's 2006 end of season meltdown. I suffered through mediocre Garrard for however many years it was after that 07 season. I suffered through Gabbert. But I always suffered through it. I watched. I hoped for the next year. I laughed at how bad the team looked (my old sig was a quote from a poster here reading "Garrard can throw the deep ball. Just not accurately." It's currently something along the lines of "The season's not over... There's still a bunch of games left to lose.") because that's how I got through bad seasons. I can't even laugh at how bad this team is though. I'm at the point of complete apathy and disbelief. I don't even understand how it's humanly possible to get to this point on a professional team.

I have a friend who has sworn to me for years that any college football game on any given Saturday was better than any professional game on any given Sunday. Last week I asked what he thought about that 70-3 drubbing. Yesterday I asked about the 66-0 game. Today, he texted me and asked how I could make fun of Kent State playing Ohio State and then watch the Jags. And you know what the most upsetting part is? He's right. the Jags have been that D3 team playing the Top 25 team for the last three seasons. They've barely sniffed looking competitive at any point.

There's almost nothing redeemable about this team. Bortles is waiting in the wing, the WR's are young, Cyp, Marks, Davis, and Anger exist, and Poz and Lewis are still under contract (I guess you could include Scobee in here too, but I'm still a bit worried after last week). That's basically it. Caldwell's had two off-seasons, and on a roster of 53, you can point to literally no more than 10 players and say, based on actual production and what they've shown, and not draft position or coach speak; "these guys are the future. They're the core that a championship team is going to be built around." Can some other guys get to that point? Sure, the team is still young. But by that point, most of the guys who actually know what they're doing out there now will be on the decline or gone and then they'll need to be replaced.

I've never seen a team so devoid of talent. I'd even go so far as to say that this year's team is worse than last year's because this year they're not all rookies. Last year was a wash. Last year was a bunch of guys who didn't belong in the league mixed in with rookies who were going to be the core of this team. This year? The only guys on defense who didn't start multiple games on the team last year are Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, and LaRoy Reynolds. And the defense still looks absolutely atrocious. And its not all Henne, because they got beat like a drum by Jackson on the second play of the game. We were told "patience" because we'd see "improvement." There's been none, minus one half of Nick Foles not knowing how to play football, on the defensive side of the ball.

On the offensive side? The team is fielding the single most embarrassing offensive line ever assembled with a "workhorse power back" who drops the second a defender gets an arm on him. Compare Morris' short yardage situations to Toby's. See how many times Toby got anywhere close to where he needed to. See how many times he broke a tackle or pushed the pile. Then see what Morris did for Washington. I know the offensive line is awful so I'm not expecting Toby to have major yards rushing, or long runs, or even consistently good runs. But at some point this "workhorse power back" needs to convert on 2nd and 2, or 3rd and 1. I'm pretty sure he hasn't done that once this year. That's on him; make a play.

I had low expectations this year. I expected next year to be the first real year to make a playoff push. I preached patience. I still believe in patience. I thought Bortles should sit for a while, just like I did with Gabbert. I still think Bortles should sit. I'm not wavering from the idea of patience. But there needs to be some indication that this team is a professional football team and we haven't seen much of that over the past 2 years. And that's what kills me. I can be patient, but there needs to be some sort of improvement. Something that shows me that this team can compete with others in the league. Not necessarily win. Just compete. Look like they belong. Scare a couple of teams and force it down to the wire. Sure, they won 4 games last year. They beat the Browns, who fired their coach specifically because the Jags won. Now, one year removed from that, they beat the Saints, led by one of the best QB's in the league. They beat the Texans twice, who imploded so bad neither of the 2 QB's who started their games last year even made the roster. And now they're 2-0. They beat the Titans, who also fired their coach. And now, one year removed from losing to the Jags, they beat the Chiefs, who made the playoffs last year. Where are the Jags? Exactly where they were during the first half of last year; getting blown out embarrassed ("blown out" isn't even severe enough to explain what happened today against a team who lost its starting QB and best WR early on, and then didn't even need to be bothered passing to their 2nd best receiver to still win by 30) by teams. Now that great second half the Jags had last year is coming into question; how much of it was improvement and how much of it was facing a cupcake schedule?

All I want is a competitive team that looks like they belong in the NFL and improves every week. Those expectations aren't that high. But they sure as heck aren't being met. I think fans who invest their time and energy into whatever this Jacksonville Jaguars team is doing (because it sure isn't playing football) have a right to be upset at this point.

(And before anyone asks, I feel a lot better after writing this manifesto that no one will read. Its sorta like group therapy, I guess. Very therapeutic. Thanks for allowing me this space to vent about completely inconsequential events in my life. Smile )
Pretty much sums up how I feel about things as well.

Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:We adding you to our drinking game. We already have one regarding TMD and M. Lewis.

We've added you every time you whine about Henne.

you must spend a fortune on booze if you drink every time someone complains about henne the dumpster fire

Quote:   you must spend a fortune on booze if you drink every time someone complains about henne the dumpster fire
Oh Adam? He's a regular at the ER...

We know him quite well.

Quote:you must spend a fortune on booze if you drink every time someone complains about henne the dumpster fire

Lol
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Not gonna tell you how you spend your time or money, but you can't call yourself a die hard, if you're support of the team is in any way conditional.
Yeah right.  20 years of supporting this team, including 15 of them when I had to buy plane tickets to make it to the games because I lived out of state, but I'm a fair weather fan.     Shut up.  

Quote:This is basically how I feel. I know some people were expecting playoffs or 9-7 this year or whatever, but I was expecting around 4-6 wins and calling that a successful season.

But, this is just so much worse than what I can handle. I suffered through David Garrard's 2006 end of season meltdown. I suffered through mediocre Garrard for however many years it was after that 07 season. I suffered through Gabbert. But I always suffered through it. I watched. I hoped for the next year. I laughed at how bad the team looked (my old sig was a quote from a poster here reading "Garrard can throw the deep ball. Just not accurately." It's currently something along the lines of "The season's not over... There's still a bunch of games left to lose.") because that's how I got through bad seasons. I can't even laugh at how bad this team is though. I'm at the point of complete apathy and disbelief. I don't even understand how it's humanly possible to get to this point on a professional team.

I have a friend who has sworn to me for years that any college football game on any given Saturday was better than any professional game on any given Sunday. Last week I asked what he thought about that 70-3 drubbing. Yesterday I asked about the 66-0 game. Today, he texted me and asked how I could make fun of Kent State playing Ohio State and then watch the Jags. And you know what the most upsetting part is? He's right. the Jags have been that D3 team playing the Top 25 team for the last three seasons. They've barely sniffed looking competitive at any point.

There's almost nothing redeemable about this team. Bortles is waiting in the wing, the WR's are young, Cyp, Marks, Davis, and Anger exist, and Poz and Lewis are still under contract (I guess you could include Scobee in here too, but I'm still a bit worried after last week). That's basically it. Caldwell's had two off-seasons, and on a roster of 53, you can point to literally no more than 10 players and say, based on actual production and what they've shown, and not draft position or coach speak; "these guys are the future. They're the core that a championship team is going to be built around." Can some other guys get to that point? Sure, the team is still young. But by that point, most of the guys who actually know what they're doing out there now will be on the decline or gone and then they'll need to be replaced.

I've never seen a team so devoid of talent. I'd even go so far as to say that this year's team is worse than last year's because this year they're not all rookies. Last year was a wash. Last year was a bunch of guys who didn't belong in the league mixed in with rookies who were going to be the core of this team. This year? The only guys on defense who didn't start multiple games on the team last year are Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, and LaRoy Reynolds. And the defense still looks absolutely atrocious. And its not all Henne, because they got beat like a drum by Jackson on the second play of the game. We were told "patience" because we'd see "improvement." There's been none, minus one half of Nick Foles not knowing how to play football, on the defensive side of the ball.

On the offensive side? The team is fielding the single most embarrassing offensive line ever assembled with a "workhorse power back" who drops the second a defender gets an arm on him. Compare Morris' short yardage situations to Toby's. See how many times Toby got anywhere close to where he needed to. See how many times he broke a tackle or pushed the pile. Then see what Morris did for Washington. I know the offensive line is awful so I'm not expecting Toby to have major yards rushing, or long runs, or even consistently good runs. But at some point this "workhorse power back" needs to convert on 2nd and 2, or 3rd and 1. I'm pretty sure he hasn't done that once this year. That's on him; make a play.

I had low expectations this year. I expected next year to be the first real year to make a playoff push. I preached patience. I still believe in patience. I thought Bortles should sit for a while, just like I did with Gabbert. I still think Bortles should sit. I'm not wavering from the idea of patience. But there needs to be some indication that this team is a professional football team and we haven't seen much of that over the past 2 years. And that's what kills me. I can be patient, but there needs to be some sort of improvement. Something that shows me that this team can compete with others in the league. Not necessarily win. Just compete. Look like they belong. Scare a couple of teams and force it down to the wire. Sure, they won 4 games last year. They beat the Browns, who fired their coach specifically because the Jags won. Now, one year removed from that, they beat the Saints, led by one of the best QB's in the league. They beat the Texans twice, who imploded so bad neither of the 2 QB's who started their games last year even made the roster. And now they're 2-0. They beat the Titans, who also fired their coach. And now, one year removed from losing to the Jags, they beat the Chiefs, who made the playoffs last year. Where are the Jags? Exactly where they were during the first half of last year; getting blown out embarrassed ("blown out" isn't even severe enough to explain what happened today against a team who lost its starting QB and best WR early on, and then didn't even need to be bothered passing to their 2nd best receiver to still win by 30) by teams. Now that great second half the Jags had last year is coming into question; how much of it was improvement and how much of it was facing a cupcake schedule?

All I want is a competitive team that looks like they belong in the NFL and improves every week. Those expectations aren't that high. But they sure as heck aren't being met. I think fans who invest their time and energy into whatever this Jacksonville Jaguars team is doing (because it sure isn't playing football) have a right to be upset at this point.

(And before anyone asks, I feel a lot better after writing this manifesto that no one will read. Its sorta like group therapy, I guess. Very therapeutic. Thanks for allowing me this space to vent about completely inconsequential events in my life. Smile )

^^^^^^^  This.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 08:28 AM by jaglyn.)

Posters express their feelings here differently. Either they vent about the team, or they vent about the supposedly overreacting fans. but in the end, we are just all just unsatisfied with the Jags right now.

Just a bad product compared to the amount of marketing they do in the off-season. I felll for it again, just like every year

Year after year, especially this year, the Jags look the best in the off-season.

When we don't have weekly reminders just how competent organizations are supposed to look, we feel better about ourselves.

Week 1-17 is just a painful reminder.  I've told myself I will NOT look ahead to the draft anymore.  I am looking forward to NOW.  This season.  I want improvement.  6 wins or I'm outta here.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I've gotta admit, I still love my team, but I use to be way more passionate about them. All this losing and the blowouts takes its toll.

I'm a Jags fan from Miami. Me, my dad, and brother got season tickets back in 2008. We've been driving up for all the home games since then. We usually end up selling the tickets by December when we realize it's a waste to make the trip to these games just watch them lose and lose badly. It's rough. I think the last time we saw a home win was maybe three years ago when they beat the Ravens on Monday night.

It sucks, man. Making an 11 hour drive like that just to be letdown every time... it gets tiring and old. We're still going to the home opener this weekend, but I can't even say I'm excited.

Quote:Isn't that something? They can turn it around after one year? Why do the Jags take 5+ years?
really?

you think our situation is the same as the texans or even the chiefs the year before

the texans had a better team that us last year and failed due to a matt schaub burn out

Tell me you wouldn't take brown, cushing, watt, johnson, hopkins foster over the respective players in our team thats pretty much all the skill positions par qb and cb (and i could add joseph as a possibility to that list) with more talent than us

plus a solid draft for them with clowney and nix coming into an already nasty d line

the jags sadly had one of the worst gms for picking talent in the league for a protracted period of time, that takes time to recover from

caldwell came into a roster with perhaps 5-10 nfl caliber players on the team not even high level, just would potentially start on other rosters (poz cs3 monroe meester  lewis smith knighton scobee anger)

he kicked knighton and smith due to injury concerns (wrongly with smith as it transpires) and traded monroe wrongly or rightly (I presonally think he would have left anyway so we got what we could for him but we will never know)

so we are talking 5-6 nfl caliber players as your base line (with meesters retirement and uche getting cut)

that takes time to recover from.

don't get me wrong i expected better from yesterday and the loss of the eagles game is a kick in the nads but though bortles is good there is a huge gulf in class between him and andrew luck. I don't believe he can straight away elevate this team but he most definitely can be our guy for the next 10 years, why risk that

The night is always darkest before the dawn.... which i think is [BLEEP] from a purely astronomical point of view... but yeah... i really believe good times are coming