Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Washington Game

Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug.  Today, we were the bug, plain and simple.

1.  This was as thorough and comprehensive a butt kicking the Jaguars have received in quite some time....well at least since London last year.  There wasn't a phase of the game where this team was not whipped.  Run blocking?  Loss.  Pass Blocking?  Loss.  Run defense?  Loss.  Pass defense?  Loss.  Special teams?  Loss.  There was no positive coming out of this game.

2.  It appeared whatever wind was in the team's sails was lost when Hurns dropped that deep pass early.

3.  If there is one player I don't understand, it's Cam Bradfield.  He has the build of a RT, but plays better at LT.  Given that, you'd think he would be a good pass protector on the right side.  But my goodness was he abused by Kerrigan today!  Mercifully but belatedly he was benched late in the game.

4.  What in the world happened to the defense?  Since halftime of week one, this team has been outscored 75-10.  That's right...SEVENTY FIVE (75) to TEN (10).  Okay...you can't pin the fumble return for a TD on the defense.  Fine.  That makes it SIXTY EIGHT (68) to Ten (10). This defense has given up HUGE chunks of yards in the passing game.  Why?  Is it just the backups?  Why are they so unprepared?  Have opposing coaches discovered weaknesses in the defensive schemes?

5.  One of the reasons the offensive line was so offensive (not in a good way)  is for the second week in a row, it was totally unable to open up any holes in the running game whatsoever.  TWENTY FIVE (25) rushing yards...and about half of that was on a Henne scramble.  Teams now know the team cannot run and really don't worry about stopping it.  Play action fake cannot possibly work to slow down any pass rush.  It's like an avalanche and a domino effect of bad offensive line play.

6.  Was anyone surprised Prosinski  was beaten for a TD again?

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Blake Bortles-DNP

B.  Marquise Lee-Started but did not make much of a difference

C.  Allen Robinson-Played but did not make much of a difference

D.  Telvin Smith-Played but did not make much of a difference

E.  Luke Bowanko-Played but did not make much of a difference

F.  Storm Johnson-did not play

G.  Allen Hurns-Got open deep early on a beautiful move, only to have it be in vain because he dropped the ball.  Did not make a difference the rest of the game.  To add injury to insult, he looks like he suffered a serious leg injury late.  As I type, he was getting an X Ray-reports are dislocated ankle.

H.  Loston-Have no idea if he played or not.

8.  Even the TD by Marcedes Lewis seemed cringe worthy, and I felt he was going to get caught or fumble before he finally scored.  Of course, he wound up getting hurt later.

9.  Bottom line:  A complete, top to bottom butt kicking.  Even after the  Eagles game, there was an argument to be made that this team was getting closer.  This game dumps that argument on its head and kicks it.  This team was not competitive at all.  Last week, we have had the first real questioning of Bradley, and that questioning will ramp up this week, as will the cries for Bortles to play.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The only impression of importance was the one the Defense left of Chad Henne on the field. It was more like a rut.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

You missed the part about blaming Henne for the loss.

Other than that, spot on.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug.  Today, we were the bug, plain and simple.

I agree with your observations.  

Regarding your questions about the defense  -  I do think coaches know how to scheme against it and I also think that the scheme won't work without a stud at both safety positions and LBs that can drop and cover the middle of the field.  We don't have either yet. 

Quote:You missed the part about blaming Henne for the loss.

Henne was no great shakes, but under the circumstances, Bortles couldn't have fared much better with the ineptitude of the offensive line.

That's the reason I am in favor of keeping Bortles on the bench, until the OL can get their legs under them.

Let Henne take all of those beatings.

I just want to know why it's still 2013. Did I just dream the last year?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:You missed the part about blaming Henne for the loss.

Like clockwork.

Chad Henne was not the only problem and never was but he happens to be a large part of the problem with a solution already on the roster.

Chad Henne isn't good enough and the fact that this team stuck with him is almost asinine at this point.  He should not have ever been our starting QB to be honest, regardless if we have Bortles or not.  He's simply not any good.  

Quote:I just want to know why it's still 2013. Did I just dream the last year?

It's 2013? i thought it was still 2012

Quote:It's 2013? i thought it was still 2012

But it was Gene Smith's fault...I mean Mularkey's fault...I mean Gabbert's fault...

Quote:Like clockwork.

Chad Henne was not the only problem and never was but he happens to be a large part of the problem with a solution already on the roster.

Chad Henne isn't good enough and the fact that this team stuck with him is almost asinine at this point.  He should not have ever been our starting QB to be honest, regardless if we have Bortles or not.  He's simply not any good.  

Don't worry, once Henne is cut, then we'll be allowed to talk about how bad he was.  So long as the coaches are supporting him though, then it's not his fault.  That's how it works.

Defense is gonna look bad when the offense is terrible the whole game, WRs cant do nothing when the QB sucks

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 05:08 PM by Scarecrow.)

Yes or no.

Is Bortles  bigger, faster, stronger?

Is Bortles more mobile?

Can Bortles throw better on the run than Chad Henne?

Can Bortles use his legs/size/ability to avoid sacks better than Chad Henne?

Has Bortles ever shown the tendency to Gabbert it up and fall into a sack like Chad Henne did on a few occasions today? College or otherwise.

Has Bortles not shown better pocket presence and awareness than Chad ever has in his time has a Jaguar?

Have we not seen Bortles go through progressions and make calls/adjustments at the line already in preseason?  Some of those being successful changes.  He's not always gone through progressions and a few times he's stared guys down but the difference between him and Henne in that department is pretty big in my opinion.  Chad locks his eyes down and passes get batted down because of it.

These questions are for anyone, not any single person.

Quote:Yes or no.

Is Bortles  bigger, faster, stronger?

Is Bortles more mobile?

Can Bortles throw better on the run than Chad Henne?

Can Bortles use his legs/size/ability to avoid sacks better than Chad Henne?

Has Bortles ever shown the tendency to Gabbert it up and fall into a sack like Chad Henne did on a few occasions today? College or otherwise.

Has Bortles not shown better pocket presence and awareness than Chad ever has in his time has a Jaguar?

Have we not seen Bortles go through progressions and make calls/adjustments at the line already in preseason?  Some of those being successful changes.  He's not always gone through progressions and a few times he's stared guys down but the difference between him and Henne in that department is pretty big in my opinion.  Chad locks his eyes down and passes get batted down because of it.

These questions are for anyone, not any single person.
Agreed on every single point.

My thing is putting him in at this point, with the mass incompetence on the OL, is akin to bailing out the Titanic with a coffee mug.

The coaching staff looked totally suspect.

This is more than just being the bug V windsheild.

This game was very open at the beginning.  The offense decided, as per the usual under Fish (I no longer have enough respect for the OC to actually type the extra 'c' in his name) just doesn't understand how to call an NFL game.

Henne is Henne, but don't anyone blame him for this loss.  The personnel packages and the formations and they plays run with the personnel and formations was just bush league.  The D knew exactly what was coming.  The O-line was pathetic.  But they were sheep to the slaughter because of the telegraphed plays/formations/personnel that were being run.

There's only so much a D can do when they are being exposed to play after play with only a few minutes off because the offense cannot get a 1st down.

Quote:Agreed on every single point.

My thing is putting him in at this point, with the mass incompetence on the OL, is akin to bailing out the Titanic with a coffee mug.
Henne had time to get rid of the ball on half of the sacks. Bortles also would have avoided the pressure much better than henne

This team is worse than last year.

I mean, we got Joeckel to improve the offensive line but for some reason stopped there.  We traded away our other competent tackle for idk what.

Quote:Henne was no great shakes, but under the circumstances, Bortles couldn't have fared much better with the ineptitude of the offensive line.

That's the reason I am in favor of keeping Bortles on the bench, until the OL can get their legs under them.

Let Henne take all of those beatings.

And that is pretty much the mindset inside the halls at EverBank. Even Henne understands that this is his role.

Somehow, some folks here think Bortles is going to care better behind this line. I doubt it. We can't run the ball. Teams see this. Gerhart was getting hit behind the line on just about every run because the line looked more like a sieve. If you can't run, play action is useless. If play action is useless, you wind up seeing what we saw today.

Henne didn't have a good game, but it was hardly all or even mostly on him. He's one man. As you pointed out, this was as comprehensive a loss as we've seen in a while. We got creamed in all facets.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

My impressions:

We suck

We have very little NFL level talent

We are not much better than we were in 2012

Bradley gives the deer in headlights look alot

Quote:Agreed on every single point.

You are not giving Bortles much credit.

Yes, there are many, many problems present on this team...

But a good, competent QB can alleviate many of those problems.

Not saying it will be a complete 180 degree switch, but at this point why do we even have Henne?

For the record, at this stage, this offensive line is worse than the expansion year OL (minus Boselli).