Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Washington Game

The t.o.p difference is killing us, we can't keep our defense off the field which means we are giving opposing offenses an exuberant amount of plays, they are going to score with the odds we are giving them
A good loser is a good loser

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There was one play that completely mystified me.

It was one of the TEN sacks suffered by Henne.

On the play, Beadles started inside and pass protection, then somehow pivoted outside of Joeckel to try to block, couldn't get outside, Henne was forced to step up, and then the defender came in from the hole Beadles vacated to sack Henne.

What happened?  What kind of blocking scheme was that?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:There was one play that completely mystified me.

On the play, Beadles started inside and pass protection, then somehow pivoted outside of Joeckel to try to block, couldn't get outside, Henne was forced to step up, and then the defender came in from the hole Beadles vacated to sack Henne.

The one where we don't block...

It's time to hold all of these men accountable... From the coaches to the players.

Khan should let them know of this.

Quote:Both points are true. I just don't think there will be any significant improvement from the defense just by the offense sustaining drives. Sure they might hold teams to less points, but, I'm just not impressed with the defense at all. I don't think they're good enough to consistently win with, whether or not the offense does anything on the other side of the ball. :confused:

Maybe not.  But if you suddenly hold opponents to 28 instead of 40, and your own offense can score 24...  well, you have a game, and maybe even a shot to win at the end.

If your offense is holding some of that time of possession and scoring a few points of their own, suddenly the games look a lot closer.  If that happens to give the defense a little more time to breath, and maybe they make a stop or two they might not have otherwise, even better.

Quote:Bullseye,

If you run extended plays with Gerhart, what do you expect?  

I'm sorry, but the packages and formations that Fish ran based on down and distance made it really obvious what was coming.  
What alternative is there?

Robinson, who has the explosiveness but not the reliability either in ball security or in pass protection?

Todman, who doesn't have the explosiveness?

Again...with the poor OL play...changing RBs is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Quote:The one where we don't block...

It's time to hold all of these men accountable... From the coaches to the players.

Khan should let them know of this.
The ONE where we don't block?!?

You mean there was only one in the game?

It seems like that was the plan of attack the entire game.  Just don't block em.

Quote:The ONE where we don't block?!?

You mean there was only one in the game?

It seems like that was the plan of attack the entire game.  Just don't block em.
No......

"What kind of blocking scheme was that..?"

I answered, "the one where we don't block" - as in, the blocking scheme where we don't block.

Come on buddy, I thought comprehension was one of your strong suits...

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE why a football team should look that bad in a game. NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:What alternative is there?

Robinson, who has the explosiveness but not the reliability either in ball security or in pass protection?

Again...with the poor OL play...changing RBs is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Actually, I think at this point trying to use Gerhart on any stretch play is a wasted play.  If we're going to run him, send him north and south.

Or how about where the opposing defense is completely not respecting the pass (all game) and is camped on the run and short passing lanes, so we try bubble screens or quick outs?

Or that 3rd down throw to the sideline, with no possibility for YAC, which was still 5 yards behind the first down marker?

I'm not ready to say it's all in the play calling, because there is a big talent issue too, but some of those play calls sure look bad too.

We made Kerrigan look like Bruce Smith.

Quote:What alternative is there?

How can one determine reliability when one does not have the opportunity to prove it?

How many touches did Denard get this week?  How many did he get last week?

Honestly, why not just cut him if you're not gonna use him?

Quote:We made Kerrigan look like Bruce Smith.
 And Cousins look like P Manning.

Shameful on both accounts.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:How can one determine reliability when one does not have the opportunity to prove it?

How many touches did Denard get this week?  How many did he get last week?

Honestly, why not just cut him if you're not gonna use him?

He's the secret weapon, he must stay secret. 

Quote:No......

"What kind of blocking scheme was that..?"

I answered, "the one where we don't block" - as in, the blocking scheme where we don't block.

Come on buddy, I thought comprehension was one of your strong suits...
The question was predicated on the idea different blocking schemes (note the plural usage) are used throughout a game.

I understood precisely what you were saying.

I was using humor to make a point and to cope with this bad loss.

Quote:Actually, I think at this point trying to use Gerhart on any stretch play is a wasted play.  If we're going to run him, send him north and south.

Or how about where the opposing defense is completely not respecting the pass (all game) and is camped on the run and short passing lanes, so we try bubble screens or quick outs?

Or that 3rd down throw to the sideline, with no possibility for YAC, which was still 5 yards behind the first down marker?

I'm not ready to say it's all in the play calling, because there is a big talent issue too, but some of those play calls sure look bad too.

The O-Line is horrid.  That's not Fish's fault.  Henne is really bad at recognizing pre-sanp where the pressure may come from, that may not be entirely Fish's fault.

I realize that there are major issues regarding talent.  But like you said, there were so many plays that were just so predictable.  If we as regular fans are able to predict what's coming, how to you think opposing Defenses are looking at our packages and formations based on down and distance?

Dude, Fish has run the same bland, vanilla, lame offense for 2 seasons.  

Maybe Bortles is so great that he can overcome Fish.  But maybe he can't.

Quote:There was one play that completely mystified me.

Seems to me like this Zone Blocking "scheme" is more confusion then anything. Constantly trying to pull this guy and shift that assignment, heck let's master just blocking the guy in front of you first. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Heck let's master just blocking the guy in front of you first. 

Or in the case of Bradfield, getting your hands on the guy in front of you.

Quote:Maybe not.  But if you suddenly hold opponents to 28 instead of 40, and your own offense can score 24...  well, you have a game, and maybe even a shot to win at the end.

If your offense is holding some of that time of possession and scoring a few points of their own, suddenly the games look a lot closer.  If that happens to give the defense a little more time to breath, and maybe they make a stop or two they might not have otherwise, even better.

Its tough to argue with this because we don't know how the defense will react with a competent offense. So you could be entirely right. Its just from what I've seen, I don't think holding the ball longer on offense will stop the defense from bleeding points seemingly every time they're out there.

The question then becomes how long does it take the other team to score? If they're playing like the Redskins today where its, generally, long, methodical, drawn out drives, then sure, maybe the team has a shot. But if its like the 2nd half of the Eagles game where the Jags gave up TD's on big plays that didn't take up much clock, then the impact of having the offense hold the ball won't be all that great. 

Until the offense learns how to block, catch, and/or throw it's a moot point though. I think while the team might be able to squeak out a couple wins here and there if the offense sustains some drives, I don't think they're good enough to win consistently with the defense the team has. Which basically renders the issue useless at the end of the day, for me at least. I could be entirely wrong though. We'll see when/if Bortles steps in this season.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 06:03 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:Agreed on every single point.

My thing is putting him in at this point, with the mass incompetence on the OL, is akin to bailing out the Titanic with a coffee mug.
To be fair though, those sacks weren't all on the line. Henne has got to get the ball out. He had time on many of those sacks. This is why I think the argument Bortles couldn't do much better is flawed. We really don't know how he can do until we see him.

Also a couple of those sacks were on Henne before the ball was snapped. He needs to make adjustments at the line. On one play a guy came completely free because we didn't have enough blockers. That's on Henne.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 06:09 PM by Rashean Machine.)

Quote:OK, well we'll see when Bortles comes in.  Seriously, how do you expect the "savior" to do anything based on the lack of vision and coaching that we saw today and last week by the OC?

You honestly think that Fish is smart enough to figure it out just because Bortles is better than Henne?

Again, I will say it.  Bortles will need to be an HOF caliber  QB to overcome the deficiencies with the offensive line and the coaching staff.

I think you're missing the point. For me and I think for many other Jag fans, all Bortles needs to do this season is make this team remotely watchable. One or two drives (hell, one or two PLAYS) to get excited about as opposed to spending 3 hours in complete and utterly depressing, soul-destroying silence.

Welcome to Duval, you will be hit.