Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Del Rio

Quote:I could be off a little in my timeline but didn't the Jags start deteriorating when DC Mike Smith went to Atlanta.

Mike Smith's defense was shredded in New England.
;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I could be off a little in my timeline but didn't the Jags start deteriorating when DC Mike Smith went to Atlanta.

They did, and that's when del rio's tenure starting coming to an end.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

I can't believe it, I was so happy when he was fired... now thanks to Mularkey and Bradley I actually miss JDR.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Yes, New England's QB is pretty good.

I always liked JDR, never had a QB, got the most out of DG until he hurt his back.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Quote:I can't believe it, I was so happy when he was fired... now thanks to Mularkey and Bradley I actually miss JDR.

It's a tough pill to swallow isn't it. I said thank god they fired Jack...foot in the mouth

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 10:47 PM by Jville808.)

Even bad as Shack & Gene Smith were with the draft and free agency, Del Rio had a much more talented team to work with. What did Gus inherit? A team that was dismantled and restocked with a few good FA signings (in "bargain free-agency"), a bunch of rookies from their first draft and a slew of scrubs off the street. This year, its that same team, plus another draft class and more free agent signings...2 of which at positions of desperate need that aren't looking very good. Add in the injury bug last year which is back early this season with a vengeance and Gus just doesn't have a lot to work with. I'm wondering if gutting the roster was really such a good idea. A lot of those players we released or let walk into FA, added to this group we have now and this team wouldn't be such an embarrassment. One thing Del Rio had going for him is they retained players from the Coughlin era. What made Del Rio an awful coach though was how he threw everyone under the bus all the time...players and coaches. That guy was constantly pointing fingers. He fired/replaced members of the coaching staff pretty much every year. Then came Mel Tucker who was his puppet. That guy had the title of DC, but it was all Del Rio...and those defenses were terrible. It didn't help that Del Rio's ego ran Mike Peterson and John Henderson out of town around that same time. Cutting your starting QB RIGHT before the season opener....TWICE?!?! It was gutsy and a major gamble both times...although it was definitely the right move the first time, 2011 (and beyond) may have played out better if they'd have just given Garrard time to heal up. That guy was terrible as a HC. I'd like to see him get a single win with last years squad. Caldwell's been good with the draft and a number of signings. I'm not one that's calling for his head, but I just don't see the logic in dismantling the team like he did. Those guys they let go may not have been the greatest, but some are better than what we have now for the most part....better depth at the very least, especially on the O-Line. Eben Britton and Uche Nwaneri would be nice to have back right about now. Daryl Smith...I'm still scratching my head on that one. The list goes on and on and it's not like the team didn't have the cap space.

Quote:I liked JDR... The guy got us in the playoffs more than once, and we even played lights out and won in the playoffs. 

I think we made a huge mistake letting Coughlin go too. The guy got the Giants two super-bowl wins. Obviously his career is coming to an end, but man...

Agreed with the Coughlin assessment. I've wondered that myself many times although I was against him leaving in the first place.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 11:07 PM by Jville808.)

...definitely made a huge mistake on the Coughlin firing. Even though Oehser says teams shouldn't let fans dictate team moves (and I agree), I think Weaver totally made that move based on the calls for Coughlin's head from the fanbase. I remember being at his last home game, seeing all the "FIRE COUGHLIN" signs and shaking my head (SMH for some of you). I had a feeling it was coming...I think there may have been a FIRETOMCOUGHLIN website. Much respect to Weaver for everything he did in the infancy of this team. Looking back at that decision though and the decision to keep Del Rio WAAAAAY past his time to go, and I'm glad the sale to Kahn happened when it did. I'll never forget, when Weaver announced the firing he quoted Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"....so ironic

Del Rio was my boy. We were a tough defensive team when he was around. Teams literally knew they were gonna get beat up when they saw us on the schedule. Don't know what we have nowadays.

I miss the JDR era now, mostly 7-9's and 8-8, but even those mediocre records seem so out of reach right at this moment.

Quote:I miss the JDR era now, mostly 7-9's and 8-8, but even those mediocre records seem so out of reach right at this moment.

He did go 12-4 and 11-5. Not too shabby

Quote:He did go 12-4 and 11-5. Not too shabby

I know, during a time when our div was considered one of the toughest

Quote:He did go 12-4 and 11-5. Not too shabby

I forget what a winning season feels like. That feeling of pride in your team. I thought that feeling was coming back after the eagles first quarter.

Turns out it was just gas.

Quote:...definitely made a huge mistake on the Coughlin firing. Even though Oehser says teams shouldn't let fans dictate team moves (and I agree), I think Weaver totally made that move based on the calls for Coughlin's head from the fanbase. I remember being at his last home game, seeing all the "FIRE COUGHLIN" signs and shaking my head (SMH for some of you). I had a feeling it was coming...I think there may have been a FIRETOMCOUGHLIN website. Much respect to Weaver for everything he did in the infancy of this team. Looking back at that decision though and the decision to keep Del Rio WAAAAAY past his time to go, and I'm glad the sale to Kahn happened when it did. I'll never forget, when Weaver announced the firing he quoted Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"....so ironic

Yes Weaver listened to the fans, but TC had to go. He wouldn't give up his control and his control had the Jags in terrible cap shape. If he would have just agreed to have someone take over, it would have been great to keep him.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 11:51 PM by Jerrad.)

At least JDR held his players accountable. Does Gus even care?

"Just get better man! You can do it man! We lost by 31 but it doesn't mean nothing man, all that matters is that you tried your best and got better man! We did some good things out there, and for that you guys can have the entire week off man! See you Sunday for the Colts game, yea we're gonna get spanked but as long as you try your best and get better, I'll take you all out for pizza and ice cream afterwards man!"
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Everybody is a winner!

Hooray!

Quote:Everybody is a winner!

Hooray!

I hate that crap. You have to work hard and earn it. Sometimes the motivating speaker isn't enough. Maybe benching or cutting someone would do the trick.

I agree Del Rio had his teams ready, and some areas of the team were sub-par, i.e., wide-receiving core, but not only could he not win West Coast games, but many were blow-outs.

Cheers

We were much more stable in those days. Not all good days but at least there were good days. The last 3 years have just been one bad nightmare for this franchise.

No pain, no gain.