Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Allen Hurns' season in jeopardy because of inconceivable situational coaching

Would anyone be up in arms if we downed it or at least just ran 3 vanilla run plays to try to get out of there and stop the bleeding? What was the end game here? To avoid being asked in a press conference had you mailed it in on that last drive? The answer's the same, if I were the coach I'd look anyone in the eye and tell them down 31 I just don't want any of my guys getting hurt. So glad our toughness won't be questioned because of that gutsy 2 minute offensive display.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Inexcusable.

Welcome to Duval, you will be hit.

Bad coaching and the team quit. That last td was a joke. They were basically running into the middle to not run up the score and get a td not even being touched. Bad coaching g decisions and team quitting not a good combination in the second game of the season. To a team with nine straight losses playing with backup QB.

Very frustrating, that whole situation was frustrating. I especially love watching Henne stroll right by hurns when was on the ground and barely give a second glance, half the time on the sideline it looks to me like he is completely out of the game, and if I see him give that little smile on the sideline when we are getting drilled into oblivion I think I might snap.

I get the impression that he is treating this job as a future investment. Couple years of getting my teeth caved in, and he is set.

Maybe I shouldn't turn this into another Henne thread... Prolly the booze talking now.

I'm not sure how anyone can spin anything here.

The whole "wait and see" mentality is all well and good when there are positives to look at.  There is nothing positive here.

The last ACE in this coaching and GM staff's pocket is Bortles.  And to be honest, it's not gonna make a lick of difference.  The OC runs sweeps and off-tackle runs to Gerhart, a slow power RB.  The HC has no clue that he should be telling the OC to get his head out from his back-side.

It does indeed seem like a total cluster of monkey fornication at this point.  The OC is lost.  The HC isn't directing the OC to stop being so dumb.  On top of that, the O-Line is as bad if not worst than last year.  

It's not looking good, folks.  

Maybe today was just an abberation.  But man, this is looking just like last year.  Which looked just like the year before that.

Quote:I'm not sure how anyone can spin anything here.

The whole "wait and see" mentality is all well and good when there are positives to look at.  There is nothing positive here.

The last ACE in this coaching and GM staff's pocket is Bortles.  And to be honest, it's not gonna make a lick of difference.  The OC runs sweeps and off-tackle runs to Gerhart, a slow power RB.  The HC has no clue that he should be telling the OC to get his head out from his back-side.

It does indeed seem like a total cluster of monkey fornication at this point.  The OC is lost.  The HC isn't directing the OC to stop being so dumb.  On top of that, the O-Line is as bad if not worst than last year.  

It's not looking good, folks.  

Maybe today was just an abberation.  But man, this is looking just like last year.  Which looked just like the year before that.
The aberration was the first quarter of the Eagles game. The other 7 quarters we have played have a common thread. We are absolutely dreadful in every phase of the game.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Feel bad for Hurns.  He might not be the same after that injury. Dumb decision.

was not Gus decision to throw to hurns. you just dont take knee and say hey i quit. call a play and run the play the QB throws the ball hurns was the checkdown and well henne is capt checkdown. Gus made alot of mistakes in this game but you cant blame the injury on Gus.

Quote:was not Gus decision to throw to hurns. you just dont take knee and say hey i quit. call a play and run the play the QB throws the ball hurns was the checkdown and well henne is capt checkdown. Gus made alot of mistakes in this game but you cant blame the injury on Gus.

Yes you can.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Yes you can.
ok explain how smart guy. He is not the OC calling the plays, he is not the QB throwing the ball. the only option as head coach was tell the OC to take a knee and if he did that he would not have a job next week. Try using some brains

Quote:ok explain how smart guy. He is not the OC calling the plays, he is not the QB throwing the ball. the only option as head coach was tell the OC to take a knee and if he did that he would not have a job next week. Try using some brains

Down by 31 with a few seconds to go, just kneel it and get out of there. You were embarrassed anyway.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 08:27 PM by WYBaugh.)

Quote:ok explain how smart guy. He is not the OC calling the plays, he is not the QB throwing the ball. the only option as head coach was tell the OC to take a knee and if he did that he would not have a job next week. Try using some brai

It's a meaningless down at a meaningless part of the game.  You have two receivers injured prior to the game, lost your TE during the game and you think it's smart to keep the starters out there for that garbage.  Why do you think teams that are winning big sit the starters?  So they don't get hurt!  

Definitely on Gus.  It was a bone head move for nothing.  

Quote:ok explain how smart guy. He is not the OC calling the plays, he is not the QB throwing the ball. the only option as head coach was tell the OC to take a knee and if he did that he would not have a job next week. Try using some brains

They should have just run a dive up the middle with Gerhart.  But, I guess that's just hindsight.  

This injury is just the thumb in the eye of a very painful day.  I mean, who could have foreseen an injury?  The whole thing just stinks.  I'm hoping i just wake up tomorrow with a really bad hangover and this was all just a really really bad dream.

That wasn't Gus' fault. We only have 4 WRs right now so it's not like they have a bunch of options. I put that on Jedd for the play call and Henne for not looking downfield on 4th and 16. It was a standard tackle on a 3 yard under route.

Quote:They should have just run a dive up the middle with Gerhart.  But, I guess that's just hindsight.  

This injury is just the thumb in the eye of a very painful day.  I mean, who could have foreseen an injury?  The whole thing just stinks.  I'm hoping i just wake up tomorrow with a really bad hangover and this was all just a really really bad dream.
Oh i agree running would have been better choice. my point is these idiots are calling for gus's head for calling the play and causing the injury, thats just stupid

Quote:Oh i agree running would have been better choice. my point is these idiots are calling for gus's head for calling the play and causing the injury, thats just stupid
Nobody is calling for his head.

Quote:was not Gus decision to throw to hurns. you just dont take knee and say hey i quit. call a play and run the play the QB throws the ball hurns was the checkdown and well henne is capt checkdown. Gus made alot of mistakes in this game but you cant blame the injury on Gus.

This. Chad Henne threw a 4 yard pass on 4th and 16.

Has anyone ever seen a team losing by any amount of points taken a knee at the end of the game?  No of course not.  Unfortunate for Hurns but to blame that on anything other than terrible luck is asinine.  

Quote:Has anyone ever seen a team losing by any amount of points taken a knee at the end of the game?  No of course not.  Unfortunate for Hurns but to blame that on anything other than terrible luck is asinine.  
No, but it that situation you run the ball and let the clock run out.  The timeout was just as embarrassing.  The coaching made it like watching a high school game, a bad high school game.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:This. Chad Henne threw a 4 yard pass on 4th and 16.

And what, pray tell, in the wide, wide world of sports did he think was going to happen?

You know what really ticks me off?

The two porkskin players that tried to play "make a wish" with Hurns like he might be going somewhere.

They absolutely mauled him like it was a tie game and we were on the one yard line.

Even if by some miracle that he made it into the end zone it would only cost them a few points and they had a huge lead.

I really feel for the kid.

His instinct was to catch the ball and he paid dearly for it.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson