Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014, 07:47 PM by Tommy Downtown.)

Those are the same pics I saw, which are supposedly wounds that were close to a week old. On a four year old child.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I've gotten the belt, wiffle bat, paddle, and hand. I never got the switch but my parents talked about it a lot. Just to put in my two cents, I also got the timeout which was always the least effective.

It always was.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

okay that's sick to put welts and cuts like that on a four year old.

My parents punished me by having me watch Cowboys games.

Quote:Those are the same pics I saw, which are supposedly wounds that were close to a week old. On a four year old child.

And I think that's going to be the most damming.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I've gotten the belt, wiffle bat, paddle, and hand. I never got the switch but my parents talked about it a lot. Just to put in my two cents, I also got the timeout which was always the least effective.

I'll respond with my own anecdotal evidence.

Whipping was always the least effective with me.  It made me want to get even with my parents.  I rarely ever got spanked.  But when I did, it made me act out more.  It just taught me to not get caught.

I've never whipped my kids.  I'm not going to say that other people shouldn't whip theirs, though i will say that AP went too far.  I'll also say that it's just as ridiculous to say you should never whip your kids, as it is to say other forms of punishment are ineffective.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

The wounds appear to be on the front on the legs... Not your usual "spanking" place.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014, 08:05 PM by Vicbow Rules.)

I don't spank my kids, but I was spanked growing up. I don't feel too strongly about it. That being said, I don't understand going out and finding a stick to hit a kid with. Call me a hippie I guess.   

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:The wounds appear to be on the front on the legs... Not your usual "spanking" place.

Not to mention the mom (I assume) had to pull back the underwear to see all the wounds.... Definitely odd.

Quote:Not to mention the mom (I assume) had to pull back the underwear to see all the wounds.... Definitely odd.

What could a four year old do that would make him think he deserved to be beat like that???

Sad to say, but the most talented RB in the league will probably never an NFL uniform again.

Quote:What could a four year old do that would make him think he deserved to be beat like that???

He pushed his brother off a bike (motorbike game?)  according to the report.

Not sure it's something that warrants multiple hits with a switch.  Especially since it was a four year old.  They usually don't know any better.  I know my kids never did when they were that age.  My 5 year old niece barely knows better.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

There is a line between disciplining and abusing. Not sure if he crossed the line. Not even sure where the 'line' is

BTW didn't AP have an issue last year, my memory is hazy. Did someone else beat his son?

Quote:There is a line between disciplining and abusing. Not sure if he crossed the line. Not even sure where the 'line' is

Did you see the pics on the first page of this thread? That's crossing the line, imo.

Quote:BTW didn't AP have an issue last year, my memory is hazy. Did someone else beat his son?

Wasn't it his son that he had just found out about?

Quote:Wasn't it his son that he had just found out about?

Yeah. The Mom apparently never told him about the kid or something.

Quote:BTW didn't AP have an issue last year, my memory is hazy. Did someone else beat his son?

The man who was dating the kid's Mom apparently beat the kid to death.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl...n/2966015/

This whole Peterson child abuse saga is absolutely disgusting and sickening. The fact that he could literally see a child die from abuse, pull out a switch, and then beat a 4 year old until the boy looked like he did in the pictures on the first page of this thread close to a whole week later? I don't even know how to reconcile it man. And Peterson's comments about the situation?

Quote:Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”

In further text messages, Peterson allegedly said, “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

Quote:In an interview with Houston police, Peterson was very matter-of-fact and calm about the incident, appearing to believe he had done nothing wrong and reiterating how much he cared about his son and only used “whoopings” or “spankings” as a last resort.

[...]

Peterson said he knew that his son had a doctor’s appointment scheduled for when he returned home and that the doctor would discover the injuries. Peterson added that if he felt like he was “really wrong for what I did, or had any ill intent, there’s no way I would have let him get on that plane.” He went on to say, “I have nothing to hide, but I also understand when a child has marks like that on his leg, they have to report that.”

When Peterson was asked how he felt about the incident, he said, “To be honest with you, I feel very confident with my actions because I know my intent.” He also described the incident as a “normal whooping” in regards to the “welps” on the child’s buttocks, but that he felt bad immediately when he saw the injuries on the child’s legs. Peterson estimated he “swatted” his son “10 to 15” times, but he’s not sure because he doesn’t “ever count how many pops I give my kids.”

Peterson went on to reiterate again how much he loves all his kids, and only “whoops” them because he wants them to do right. Toward the end of the interview, Peterson said he would reconsider using switches in the future, but said he would never “eliminate whooping my kids . . . because I know how being spanked has helped me in my life.”

Source: http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/e...t-charges/

I just don't even know man. Maybe its because I was brought up without being hit or spanked, but I just don't know how you can leave that 4 year old looking like that and basically say its no issue. I don't know how you let it get to that point before noticing something was wrong. 10-15 swats on a 4 year old? I don't have the words.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Quote:The thing is though that this case was already submitted for prosecution previously and it was denied. Only after the Ray Rice mess was it resubmitted and given the OK to file charges. What changed? <a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/adrian-peterson-charges-weren%E2%80%99t-pursued-grand-jury-first-time'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/adrian-peterson-charges-weren’t-pursued-grand-jury-first-time</a>

Roger Goodell's clout.

Quote:10-15 swats on a 4 year old? I don't have the words.
Even w/o all the gory details, you could stop right there. ^  It's too much. 

At 4 years old a  careful firm grip of the child's shoulder and a stern talking to should be enough.  At that age - my parents would have stopped at a swat on the rear with a careful open palm.  

Not that I'm trying to define the acceptable and unacceptable borders of spanking a child, because everyone has different takes on the topic.  And that's fine.  We're all conditioned differently on the matter.   Clearly though, AP went well beyond any sane person's line of "acceptable." 

This reminds me of Louis CK's bit about how Children are the one group in the world who cannot defend themselves and we as a society beat them. I won't link to it since I'm fairly certain that it has objectionable language, but you may want to give the ol' YouTube a try if you are so inclined.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!