Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Quote:Yeah. The Mom apparently never told him about the kid or something.

The man who was dating the kid's Mom apparently beat the kid to death.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2013/10/11/adrian-peterson-son-critical-condition/2966015/'>http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2013/10/11/adrian-peterson-son-critical-condition/2966015/</a>

This whole Peterson child abuse saga is absolutely disgusting and sickening. The fact that he could literally see a child die from abuse, pull out a switch, and then beat a 4 year old until the boy looked like he did in the pictures on the first page of this thread close to a whole week later? I don't even know how to reconcile it man. And Peterson's comments about the situation?

Source: <a class="bbc_url" href='http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/'>http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/</a>

I just don't even know man. Maybe its because I was brought up without being hit or spanked, but I just don't know how you can leave that 4 year old looking like that and basically say its no issue. I don't know how you let it get to that point before noticing something was wrong. 10-15 swats on a 4 year old? I don't have the words.

I got beat that bad for sure and would have welts or bruises on me for days. All of my 5 brothers as well. We all have the same philosophy now that we don't or wouldn't beat our kids, but you know, we all turned out fine.

I guess it's just different strokes for different folks.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We used to have to get a switch at my granny's house if we acted up (maybe 3 times between the 4 of us) I wouldn't be surprised if my bare [BLEEP] looked like that.  My parents just used belts, though they found out the best punishment was to have me stand in a corner not talking for 30 minutes, talk about torture, I mean at least a whipping was over after 5 licks, and you were on your way. 

Quote:This reminds me of Louis CK's bit about how Children are the one group in the world who cannot defend themselves and we as a society beat them. I won't link to it since I'm fairly certain that it has objectionable language, but you may want to give the ol' YouTube a try if you are so inclined.

Exactly what it reminded me of. Something along the lines that "They are the only ones that it is socially acceptable to physically strike and it devastates them."

You can't hit your neighbor or you boss or your wife, but kids- that's how ya raise them right.

I don't even think I can do this. I may not listen to sports talk radio for a month. Not interested in the TMZ tape either. GO JAGS! But the rest of the NFL is just exhausting.

Quote:I got beat that bad for sure and would have welts or bruises on me for days. All of my 5 brothers as well. We all have the same philosophy now that we don't or wouldn't beat our kids, but you know, we all turned out fine.

Many kids don't turn out fine though.  What he did to the 4 year old is sickening.  More is going to come out...

Quote:We used to have to get a switch at my granny's house if we acted up (maybe 3 times between the 4 of us) I wouldn't be surprised if my bare [BAD WORD REMOVED] looked like that.  My parents just used belts, though they found out the best punishment was to have me stand in a corner not talking for 30 minutes, talk about torture, I mean at least a whipping was over after 5 licks, and you were on your way. 

Lol.  I just think what Peterson did cross the line.  We can debate spanking and whether it should be allowed or not all we want, but what Peterson did was child abuse.  The kid is 4 freaking years old.  He switched him on the nut sack and basically laughed it off.

Quote:There is a line between disciplining and abusing. Not sure if he crossed the line. Not even sure where the 'line' is

But when you are talking about a four year old child don't you want to be sure you never get near the line?

The idea, I thought, was to make a point - which you can do by letting the child know you're upset. Hitting just tells them you're mean.

Perhaps it's a cliche, but the truth. Abused children tend to be abusive parents. Which doesn't get us anywhere.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I got beat that bad for sure and would have welts or bruises on me for days. All of my 5 brothers as well. We all have the same philosophy now that we don't or wouldn't beat our kids, but you know, we all turned out fine.

I was spanked as a kid and I think I turned out fine. I'm not against it as a means of discipline. 

But the thing that sticks with me here is that I remember getting spanked, and I sure as heck wasn't four years old. 

On Wisconsin.

I'm up in the air on this situation. I have two children myself and have raged at things they knew better to do and did anyways but I've never used anything other than my hand. That being said, whether it's a hand, or an object like a switch, seeing your own child in pain is pretty hard to go through even though you know you're doing right. 

Plus, switches were a very common thing in the past. Yet another sign of the society nowadays growing weaker and weaker. And the young ones taking more and more control. I just can't say AP is a monster in this situation. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:I'm up in the air on this situation. I have two children myself and have raged at things they knew better to do and did anyways but I've never used anything other than my hand. That being said, whether it's a hand, or an object like a switch, seeing your own child in pain is pretty hard to go through even though you know you're doing right. 

Plus, switches were a very common thing in the past. Yet another sign of the society nowadays growing weaker and weaker. And the young ones taking more and more control. I just can't say AP is a monster in this situation. 

Here, read this and tell me that you still are "up in the air": http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/e...t-charges/.  Not sure how anyone can defend that and think that is how you raise a child.

Quote:I'm up in the air on this situation. I have two children myself and have raged at things they knew better to do and did anyways but I've never used anything other than my hand. That being said, whether it's a hand, or an object like a switch, seeing your own child in pain is pretty hard to go through even though you know you're doing right. 

"The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands."

How can you possibly defend that?

I can, and do say that Adrian Peterson is a monster.

its one thing to induce mild pain as a deterrent.  its another to physically injure.  its why spankings lose there effectiveness as children get older, not to mention at that point they should be smart enough to use other forms of coercion,  classic loss of items they value, ect.

Quote:"The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands."

How can you possibly defend that?

I can, and do say that Adrian Peterson is a monster.

Pretty easy, I never knew that part, I just saw what was released on Sportscenter/ESPN.com at the time. No I've never done that to either one of my kids whether on accident or on purpose. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Spare the rod, spoil the child

But seriouslu, I wasn't whipped that bad to leave cut marks

Anger that's the difference. You never spank a child out of anger that's abuse.

When he says he never counts it's because he is hitting until his anger subsides. I think Peterson honestly believes that's how you discipline many people experience that growing up and it translates to adult behavior. But going to town on a child isn't discipline it's anger and abusive.

Spankings are an effective way to discipline but should never be used out of anger or while agitated that's what it looks like happened here.

Sad for everyone involved.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

It's definitely a different world now. Not only would I get spanked at home but at school as well (those were the worst). I got spanked twice at school - once for straying into a construction area near school during recess. The second time was for getting caught with water balloons on the last day of school. Both instances resulted in three hard paddelings to the rear. Kinda crazy now to think about that happening in school. I was shocked at the time. I figured they'd just yell at me or tell my parents.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2014, 07:23 AM by MoJagFan.)

Expect TMZ to unload anything they can dig up on any current of former NFL player.  They are running with an agenda.

EDIT

Abuse is Abuse and I am not condoning it.  There are thresholds that are easy to cross.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I was spanked as a kid too. My mom would wash my mouth out with soap if I talked back to her. I don't have an issue with corporal punishment.

But reading the accounts of what Peterson did to his son, his actions are disgusting.

This brings to mind one of Vic Ketchman's frequent mantras:

Football is not a game for well adjusted individuals.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]