Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Quote:This brings to mind one of Vic Ketchman's frequent mantras:

Football is not a game for well adjusted individuals.

That quote pops into my head all the time.  The intelligentsia don't believe these things.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Folks with untreated anger management issues shouldn't have kids. And even with treatment there can be issues. Anyone who does that to a four year old most definitely has anger management issues.

Quote:This brings to mind one of Vic Ketchman's frequent mantras:

Football is not a game for well adjusted individuals.

How true. It is violent game. A game celebrated with high fives when a player is hit hard. I have been around families, particularly black families, where you got a butt whippin for being out of line. Many did not spare the rod. I've heard my momma..or daddy...don't play , a few times. Get reported? Rarely. Only if another outsider,like a teacher saw anything.

Then when a strong person starts to punish a child ( as they were ) he doesn't realize his own strength and the results aren't good.

I got whipped. Never laid a hand on my own. Both ways had decent results, my whippings kept me from going to the dark side. I believe that.

But what do do? Kick him out of the league? Ok, he's a millionaire, but in my case, should my father have lost his job because spanked me? Then there's the how bad the spanking is. Bruises? Cuts? Because if there are no marks, there is no proof.

Then we have intent.

It's a muddy, dangerous, subjective,sensitive subject.

Then we have mental abuse.

Then we have a 18 year old guy being charged with abuse and labeled for life because he had consensual sex with his 17 year old girlfriend.

Then we have the kids today and their respect, crime, no cares because they are coddled debate.

Whew.

There is a perfect way to raise kids. Ask someone who doesn't have any.
Blakes Life Matters

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2014, 02:08 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:How true. It is violent game. A game celebrated with high fives when a player is hit hard. I have been around families, particularly black families, where you got a butt whippin for being out of line. Many did not spare the rod. I've heard my momma..or daddy...don't play , a few times. Get reported? Rarely. Only if another outsider,like a teacher saw anything.

Then when a strong person starts to punish a child ( as they were ) he doesn't realize his own strength and the results aren't good.

I got whipped. Never laid a hand on my own. Both ways had decent results, my whippings kept me from going to the dark side. I believe that.

But what do do? Kick him out of the league? Ok, he's a millionaire, but in my case, should my father have lost his job because spanked me? Then there's the how bad the spanking is. Bruises? Cuts? Because if there are no marks, there is no proof.

Then we have intent.

It's a muddy, dangerous, subjective,sensitive subject.

Then we have mental abuse.

Then we have a 18 year old guy being charged with abuse and labeled for life because he had consensual sex with his 17 year old girlfriend.

Then we have the kids today and their respect, crime, no cares because they are coddled debate.

Whew.

There is a perfect way to raise kids. Ask someone who doesn't have any.

There's not just marks, but pictures of the marks if you actually you know... look into it at all. (or at the first page)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

No disrespect to women intended but I dont believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a mother with a famous baby daddy and nothing to lose by making all of this up

Quote:No disrespect to women intended but I dont believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a mother with a famous baby daddy and nothing to lose by making all of this up

So you're accusing the mother of inflicting these injuries on her own child (the photos of the injuries and the evidence of the doctors is pretty convincing), somehow forcing Peterson to admit to it (he hasn't denied any of it, and doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with how he's behaved), and all to make a bit of money?

No disrespect to you intended, but you're pretty much one step removed from pond scum. And I'm not sure which I rate higher.

Quote:No disrespect to women intended but I dont believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a mother with a famous baby daddy and nothing to lose by making all of this up

I think you'd be well served to look into the story a bit deeper.

Did you read the texts that AP sent about "whooping" the boy?  She could have worsened the situation  -- but there has already been a deposition.  The child was undoubtedly interviewed. 

Usually when people say no disrespect intended, they do intend disrespect.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2014, 04:47 PM by Unravel.)

Quote:Usually when people say no disrespect intended, they do intend disrespect.
Same with "no offense". Saying it is more like an admission of guilt than the get out of jail free card that people try and use it as. Saying that you don't intend disrespect shows that you fully know that what you're going to say has at least a chance of disrespecting of the people you're talking to/referring to, but you choose to say it anyway.

Those pictures break my heart.  I have a 5 year old daughter, and just cannot fathom having to spank her like that.  A stern talking to is all she needs from me.

Like everyone that has said before, how a person parents is their business.  What AP did was not parenting.

I got spanked when I was a kid.  And I'm not ruling out having to spank my daugher or my son (who's only 2), but at this point, I don't think I could ever bring myself to doing it.

Also, the problem with today's youth isn't because they aren't spanked hard like back when we were growing up, in my opinion.  The problem I think is that alot of kids now a days has to do with economics and the changing nature of technologies.  I could go deeper, but I don't think this is the right thread for it.

At any rate, AP is in alot of trouble if those pictures on the first page are his son and he was the one that inflicted those wounds to him.

Quote:Those pictures break my heart.  I have a 5 year old daughter, and just cannot fathom having to spank her like that.  A stern talking to is all she needs from me.

Like everyone that has said before, how a person parents is their business.  What AP did was not parenting.

I got spanked when I was a kid.  And I'm not ruling out having to spank my daugher or my son (who's only 2), but at this point, I don't think I could ever bring myself to doing it.

Also, the problem with today's youth isn't because they aren't spanked hard like back when we were growing up, in my opinion.  The problem I think is that alot of kids now a days has to do with economics and the changing nature of technologies.  I could go deeper, but I don't think this is the right thread for it.

At any rate, AP is in alot of trouble if those pictures on the first page are his son and he was the one that inflicted those wounds to him.

No, the "problem" is that kids are human and kids are young. The combination of inexperience and the flaws of humanity leads to "bad eggs" in every generation. The perceived "problem" is what is caused by economics and technology. What kids do now is more visible than what you did, because they have the capacity to put it on the Internet.

Quote:No, the "problem" is that kids are human and kids are young. The combination of inexperience and the flaws of humanity leads to "bad eggs" in every generation. The perceived "problem" is what is caused by economics and technology. What kids do now is more visible than what you did, because they have the capacity to put it on the Internet.

That is a valid point, and is why I believe technology is a factor, as I stated.  Economics is also a factor.  But again, this isn't the proper thread for it, and the issue is a pretty heavy one to flesh out in this context.

As you have wisely pointed out, there are and have always been bad apples.  As I pointed out, it's not because we as a society do not spank  our kids often and hard enough as we did in the past.  

Quote:That is a valid point, and is why I believe technology is a factor, as I stated.  Economics is also a factor.  But again, this isn't the proper thread for it, and the issue is a pretty heavy one to flesh out in this context.

As you have wisely pointed out, there are and have always been bad apples.  As I pointed out, it's not because we as a society do not spank  our kids often and hard enough as we did in the past.  

I didn't mean to come off as combative, I just wanted to make a distinction between the actual problem and what people perceive as the problem or what causes a gross misrepresentation of the actual problem. I actually agree with everything you said, just felt a distinction is necessary. But yes, this isn't the appropriate thread for a full fledged discussion so I'll leave it there.

1. What AP did was sick. No excuses for that.

2. Eric, wouldn't libertarians say "leave parenting to the parents, not the government"?

Quote:2. Eric, wouldn't libertarians say "leave parenting to the parents, not the government"?

Libertarians would say a lot of things about parenting, including some really weird stuff.

Quote:1. What AP did was sick. No excuses for that.

2. Eric, wouldn't libertarians say "leave parenting to the parents, not the government"?

Libertarians believe the government has one valid role, to protect people from harm by others. What AP did would certainly fall under that.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote: 

Libertarians would say a lot of things about parenting, including some <a class="bbc_url" href='http://mises.org/rothbard/ethics/fourteen.asp'>really weird stuff</a>.

Yup. A pretty cooky bunch.

Quote:1. What AP did was sick. No excuses for that.

We can pick it up in the political form but as already pointed out abuse falls under the umbrella of harming others.

Protection of life and property.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

As a product of a child who came from a mother and father who got whippin's as early as 6 years old, I learned early on how not to break the rules, and always tell the truth.

This may come to a shock as some, but I have seen parents spank, or whip their toddlers as young as the baby we learned of in this report.

The only difference is it involved a athlete and it became public. 

For the record, I have 2 daughters, and I have never, or will spank them, because I leave that duty to the mother who we both discussed will only spank them to stop any bad behavior from continuing. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.