Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Carey segments during CBS NFL games

I was surprised to not see/hear much discussion on his segments. I thought they were extremely awkward. He did not come across as comfortable and didn't seem like he brought anything to the discussion. It looked like he was locked in a poorly lit basement and was whispering like he was in the library.

Any thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's very uncomfortable in front of the camera (in the studio.)  He'll probably get better at it. He's informative but really awkward so far. 

it was awkward to watch, felt bad for the guy.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:it was awkward to watch, felt bad for the guy.

My wife said the same thing

I'm sure he got a nice check cut for his commentary and explanations. He'll be fine..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

And his head was huge. Kind of looked like an alien.....

What felt weird to me was not seeing Mike Periera because until now, only he had an "officiating expert" job on Sundays and the Eagles are usually on Fox.

My second thought was, "Crap, one of my favorite referees retired." Sure, he made some unforgiveable mistakes like they all do, but Carey was better than most at getting the calls right IMHO.

Maybe it just looked awkward because it was his first day on the job.

It was like the first defense attorney in My Cousin Vinny. Was hard to watch.

Quote:And his head was huge. Kind of looked like an alien.....

He was wearing a hat before they shot the segments, but he kept throwing it at the monitors in the studio whenever someone fumbled. 

Stab me in the eye with a fork.

He looked like Steve Harvey's little brother on there. And his appearances were pretty useless.
;

;

Didn't care for him much as an official. Not surprisingly I didnt care much for him as an "officiating expert" either. What's the obsession with these networks having officiating experts lately anyway? Most of the time it's just their conjecture and guessing. And when the call goes against their opinion they bristle at it and say it's wrong.
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Quote:Didn't care for him much as an official. Not surprisingly I didnt care much for him as an "officiating expert" either. What's the obsession with these networks having officiating experts lately anyway? Most of the time it's just their conjecture and guessing. And when the call goes against their opinion they bristle at it and say it's wrong.

Fox got the idea after Mike Periera retired. CBS is a copycat. Now if Gerry Austin, who has explained calls in the booth a couple times, was the officiating expert for CBS, I probably would have liked it. I think he is still officiating though.

Quote:I was surprised to not see/hear much discussion on his segments. I thought they were extremely awkward. He did not come across as comfortable and didn't seem like he brought anything to the discussion. It looked like he was locked in a poorly lit basement and was whispering like he was in the library.

Any thoughts?

He was even worse last week.  I saw last night, and it was good compared to last week.  Last week he stood there on camera and didnt say anything for 3 seconds before jumping into his awkward explanation.

I dont understand the new fetish of the networks employing retired officials. 

We dont even need to see their faces, they can do a remote broadcast from the official's home with him sitting in his pajamas drinking bud lights giving the explanations of the calls. 

I saw the preseason game he did I think it was the Raiders at Packers and he was in the booth and he looked fine, is he not doing that anymore?

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

This guy isn't going to disagree with any calls this year and support any awful calls his old brothers make. It is hard to watch.

He's shy.

Quote:This guy isn't going to disagree with any calls this year and support any awful calls his old brothers make. It is hard to watch.

I was thinking it could go along the lines of this as well.  I forget #23 for the Steelers name, but that call was pretty marginal.  He went in with his shoulder and got called for a personal foul.  It could have gone either way, but he said it was obviously a call....I didnt agree.

Quote:I dont understand the new fetish of the networks employing retired officials. 

We dont even need to see their faces, they can do a remote broadcast from the official's home with him sitting in his pajamas drinking bud lights giving the explanations of the calls. 

I saw the preseason game he did I think it was the Raiders at Packers and he was in the booth and he looked fine, is he not doing that anymore?

He can't on Sunday because there is more than one game on.

Quote:He can't on Sunday because there is more than one game on.

No duh?

My question was more centered around him being in the booth with Nantz and Simms, and also giving chime in commentary when asked by the other announcers doing the other games.

Im assuming they have him live in the studio on set which dosent make sense. They should do like FOX with Perria and have him show a illustration of the play and call that was made.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.