Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Carey segments during CBS NFL games

Quote:I dont understand the new fetish of the networks employing retired officials. 

We dont even need to see their faces, they can do a remote broadcast from the official's home with him sitting in his pajamas drinking bud lights giving the explanations of the calls. 

I saw the preseason game he did I think it was the Raiders at Packers and he was in the booth and he looked fine, is he not doing that anymore?

Even if they did it that way, he would still get paid for his time. The benefit of not doing it at home is he can watch all of the games on CBS, not just ours.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No duh?

My question was more centered around him being in the booth with Nantz and Simms, and also giving chime in commentary when asked by the other announcers doing the other games.

Im assuming they have him live in the studio on set which dosen't make sense. They should do like FOX with Perria and have him show a illustration of the play and call that was made.

Mike Periera has done it in both the studio and the booth, usually the studio. I don't know what you mean by "illustration of the play." He just talks about it.

For example during the Cardinals game last year, Periera was asked what he thought of the ruling Gus Bradley challenged and lost. Instead of saying who recovered the fumble (a Jaguar), he said the play was not reviewable and the referee was probably telling Bradley he can't challenge it because the question was who had it last.

Why doesn't it make sense to have him live in the studio? That is where he can watch every game on CBS instead of just the one his family can watch at home.

Mike P  got experience his last years as head of officials doing a weekly segment on NFL Network explaining ref calls that was great...  Blandino does it as well but the segments are not weekly it seems and my guess is he doesn't want to always face the music..  Anyway, when Mike retired, Fox grabbed him to provide the expert analysis...    Carey they thought he'd be good because he seemed to explain calls well to fans after reviews but he's not nearly as good and has already made some miscalls...  We'll have to give him time I suspect to learn this new role he has..  

Quote:Mike P got experience his last years as head of officials doing a weekly segment on NFL Network explaining ref calls that was great... Blandino does it as well but the segments are not weekly it seems and my guess is he doesn't want to always face the music.. Anyway, when Mike retired, Fox grabbed him to provide the expert analysis... Carey they thought he'd be good because he seemed to explain calls well to fans after reviews but he's not nearly as good and has already made some miscalls... We'll have to give him time I suspect to learn this new role he has..
Carey did fine last week. I think he's just nervous in front of a camera.

Quote:Mike P  got experience his last years as head of officials doing a weekly segment on NFL Network explaining ref calls that was great...  Blandino does it as well but the segments are not weekly it seems and my guess is he doesn't want to always face the music..  Anyway, when Mike retired, Fox grabbed him to provide the expert analysis...    Carey they thought he'd be good because he seemed to explain calls well to fans after reviews but he's not nearly as good and has already made some miscalls...  We'll have to give him time I suspect to learn this new role he has..  

This is why I thought Mike Carey was one of the NFL's best referees, but prefer Mike Periera as an officiating expert. However I noticed a big improvement last week when Carey said calls were bad.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The first week was cringeworthy, now he's ok tbh.

Quote:The first week was cringeworthy, now he's ok tbh.

Yeah, the first week Carey seemed to agree with all of the bad calls and I felt like he was defending guys he had a working relationship with.

When asked about a fumble that was challenged during the Broncos game, he said, "There is no doubt in my mind," that the quarterback's arm was moving forward and the call should be reversed.