Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
O-Line Observations

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else went back and watched the O-Line closely.  There were a few big observations that jumped out at me.

#1- McClendon earned the starting job at Center and did quite well actually.  I think he'll actually be good for us for a while.

#2- Beadles looks like a FA bust.  He is one of the weakest spots on the line.  I saw him get blown up multiple times.  It was as if the Eagles knew they could rush through him.

#3- M. Lewis is not the great blocker that Oehser sells him to be.  He has his moments but he also whiffs big time on plays which end up in heavy pressure on the QB or the RB getting blown up in the backfield.

Overall, I think LG is the weakest position on the line.  After watching more of the game again, that just might be why Fisch ran more to the right.

I think there's potential with Joeckel, McClendon, Linder and Bradfield/Pasztor.

Thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:#1- McClendon earned the starting job at Center and did quite well actually.  I think he'll actually be good for us for a while.
McClendon got a -8.0 rating on PFF, for what it's worth. For context, that's a really bad grade.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014, 08:14 PM by maheo30.)

There is a reason McClendon has been on, what is it, 5 teams in 3 years. He isn't very good. I was never thrilled with the Beadles signing because Manning, like Marino did, has a habit of making average to below average linemen look good.

I think the Beadles signing was out of desperation. I never pinned him as a road grader.

Peyton Manning made his entire offensive line look like All Pro's.

i pray they just need to gel or the jags are in deep doo-doo

keep bortles on the bench, safe

Quote:i pray they just need to gel or the jags are in deep doo-doo

keep bortles on the bench, safe

and we should never leave our houses... safe

I sat next to Beadles' "best friend" at the bar and watched the game.

It was hard to resist pointing out to her how awful he was.

Quote:I think the Beadles signing was out of desperation. I never pinned him as a road grader.

Peyton Manning made his entire offensive line look like All Pros.

Caldwell signed Beadles the day free agency began. What does that tell you about him?

Beadles isn't a road grader, he's a ZBS guard; slide, pull, run, lead. That's what they ran in Denver when Football Jesus was there and that's when ZB had his best season, not with Peyton. It's a matter of the scheme and team coming together, that's all.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I have faith in beadles. I don't have faith in Mcclendon

If our O-line continues to play like they did in Philly, Its going to be a long season. We need improve play from this group as a whole. 3rd and long leaves Henne or any QB for that matter as Shark Bait. They don't run Block very well as a unit. Individually they don't pass block very well either. Our Tackles did a decent job against Philly's DE's for the most part. The Guards & Center were man handled all game. They need to step up and give us a better chance to win games. If we could have established the running game this game would have been over. With a 17pt lead there is no way Philly comes back to win with the running game keeping the clock ticking & moving the chains.

#WishWeHadAlexMack!!!

Oline played terribly for the run game. Henne actually had decent time and a pocket to throw from. Center is still very upgradable.

The O line is the linchpin to this team's success. If they can't open holes to allow our RBs to grind out conversions on short third downs, the defense gets gassed and a second half collapse occurs as we saw against the Eagles. It's a game situation that will repeat itself again and again. Above all else, we need to get the O line working.

Good thing is that the ZB contract wasnt loaded. We can essentially cut him after this year for a minimal loss. Caldwell knew what he was doing. 

Quote:Good thing is that the ZB contract wasnt loaded. We can essentially cut him after this year for a minimal loss. Caldwell knew what he was doing. 

People get hung up too often on the contract numbers. They see Beadles as a 5 year, 30 million dollar deal.

But it is actually closer to a 2 year, 12.5 million dollar deal.

The team can release him after 2015 and be on the hook for nothing.

Quote:I'd be interested to hear if anyone else went back and watched the O-Line closely.  There were a few big observations that jumped out at me.

#1- McClendon earned the starting job at Center and did quite well actually.  I think he'll actually be good for us for a while.

#2- Beadles looks like a FA bust.  He is one of the weakest spots on the line.  I saw him get blown up multiple times.  It was as if the Eagles knew they could rush through him.

#3- M. Lewis is not the great blocker that Oehser sells him to be.  He has his moments but he also whiffs big time on plays which end up in heavy pressure on the QB or the RB getting blown up in the backfield.

Overall, I think LG is the weakest position on the line.  After watching more of the game again, that just might be why Fisch ran more to the right.

I think there's potential with Joeckel, McClendon, Linder and Bradfield/Pasztor.

Thoughts?

1. What game were your observing? JQ was arguably the worst o lineman out there.

2. Zane Beadles was arguably the best O lineman this past Sunday, which isn't saying a lot as the entire line struggled to generate a push in the run game. All in all, he's average to above average G.

3. I agree, he didn't play well on Sunday, and his blocking has been overrated for a couple of years now.

The weakest spot on the line right now is C, followed by RT (Cam Bradfield is awful), followed by RG. That entire group needs to be upgraded with more physically talented men; the group simply lacks talent and physicality/strength.

OL +TE in 2015   .... final pieces of the puzzle to the rebuilding process (other than upgrading in certain areas)

Quote:The weakest spot on the line right now is C, followed by RT (Cam Bradfield is awful), followed by RG. That entire group needs to be upgraded with more physically talented men; the group simply lacks talent and physicality/strength.[/size]

I agree but I think Linder will be ok if given time. I expect everyone but the Center to be playing much better by mid October or so.

Joeckel should be up to speed, Linder should be adjusted about as much as a rookie can be at that point, Pasztor should be back into the swing of things, and Beadles should have a month of solid play under his belt by that point. We'll see.

Quote:I agree but I think Linder will be ok if given time. I expect everyone but the Center to be playing much better by mid October or so.

Joeckel should be up to speed, Linder should be adjusted about as much as a rookie can be at that point, Pasztor should be back into the swing of things, and Beadles should have a month of solid play under his belt by that point. We'll see.
I agree. I think this line will be better in October with Frenchie back at RT and Joeckel more settled in.  McClendon will still likely struggle but should at least iron out the bad snaps.  The ZBS stuff should be clicking at least a little bit better by then.  Linder's a rookie and will play like it at times - but I think he's capable of playing solid more often than not. 

If that all proves true - we'll likely see a change at QB at that point. 

BTW, PFF charted us with 46 passing plays, with 3 sacks, 4 hurries, and 3 hits on the QB for 10 total pressures.

That ratio put us at 14th in the league at Pass Blocking Efficiency with 82.1%. Right behind Indy coincidentally.