Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pass Protection

Well? Is it safe for Bortles to play yet?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Who?

Pass pro > run blocking. Not saying much really tho.

He's the backup, we have our starter. Quit being crazy.

Of course not. Bortles said footwork and decision-making are his biggest problems, which sounds like he needs a good offensive line that can pass protect.

Pass protection isn't an issue. Run blocking is and a dependable running game is almost necessary when starting a rookie QB.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Imagine how good Henne will be when he sits and learns from Bortles...

Quote:Of course not. Bortles said footwork and decision-making are his biggest problems, which sounds like he needs a good offensive line that can pass protect.
He says that but I think he's being humble.

Quote:Imagine how good Henne will be when he sits and learns from Bortles...

LOLOLOL

It's been raining alot the last few days. Better sit Bortles so his jersey doesn't get wet.

;

;

Quote:It's been raining alot the last few days. Better sit Bortles so his jersey doesn't get wet.

You do realize we play at Washington, right?

Quote:You do realize we play at Washington, right?

C'mon Bon-Jagley!  Lock it up!

I say we start Bortles. When he takes the snap start running for your life. He is faster and younger than Henne. Gotta work hey :yes:

Quote:Pass protection isn't an issue. Run blocking is and a dependable running game is almost necessary when starting a rookie QB.

Run game is necessary when you have a backup QB game manager. Bortles is (supposedly) not that.

This game is not the one you want to start the Blake Bortles era at. Wait until we get Cecil Shorts and Ace Sanders back.

Quote:Run game is necessary when you have a backup QB game manager. Bortles is (supposedly) not that.

The first game of his career, he is going to be a game manager. You can't expect a rookie to be Superman with that offensive line.

Bortles hasn't show much in terms of "bad decision making, " it's more a footwork issue for him. However, Henne still had time to make throws with our line. Out offensive scheme seems to allow decent protection. I am keeping faith with Caldwell and Co, but I really think if we start 0-3, Bortles makes his debut
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

I think, Bortles would actually help the run game, as he'll throw it downfield.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Quote:Pass protection isn't an issue. Run blocking is and a dependable running game is almost necessary when starting a rookie QB.
I spent a little time with the DVR and watching the O-Line.  I highly recommend it.  Here's a few observations...

M. Lewis isn't exactly the great blocker he's cracked up to be.  He helps but I saw him whiff on great blocking opportunities in the first couple drives.

Jury is still out on Joeckel.

I'm not impressed with Beadles at all.  I think the Broncos pulled a fast on Caldwell here.

I think McClendon will be decent.  He actually seemed to hold his hold for the most part.  He's got to be more consistent with the snaps obviously and hopefully have the knowledge and quick wits to direct the blocking while at the line.

Linder seems to have potential too.  Didn't have a great game but had some decent moments.

Bradfield is a back up for a reason.  He's not bad but definitely had some whiffs.  We need Pasztor back.

Shuler was in on a play and got totally punked.  They should just put another lineman in if they want another TE to block.

Overall, everyone on the line had their share of whiffs and bad plays.

What was also disappointing was seeing the Eagles with 10 men within 5 yards of the LOS and the other safety just a yard or 2 further back.  Then we would run to the right where they already had an extra lineman bunched up on the line and the linebackers and safeties just stiffed us at the line.  I put a lot of this on Fisch.  The play calling has got to be better.

Quote: 

What was also disappointing was seeing the Eagles with 10 men within 5 yards of the LOS and the other safety just a yard or 2 further back.  Then we would run to the right where they already had an extra lineman bunched up on the line and the linebackers and safeties just stiffed us at the line.  I put a lot of this on Fisch.  The play calling has got to be better.
I agree with the points you made. 

Regarding the one I've quoted: 

Fisch deserves some blame there, but so does Henne for not adjusting/calling pass at the L.O.S.

Also worth consideration here is the team's desire and need to establish the run. With youth at receiver and a young Qb waiting in the wings they are trying hard to establish a run game with a new #1 RB. Perhaps they tried a bit too hard to feel this out a few times.