Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NBA Atlanta Hawks Owner Bruce Levingston sells team due to racists remarks

Link here.

http://deadspin.com/heres-the-email-that...1631640411

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't believe that email is racist. I think it's the truth. 

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:I don't believe that email is racist. I think it's the truth. 

Then he is stupid for selling his team for telling the "truth".

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

This is the first I've read the email.  It's definitly interesting and he even points out it is a sensitive subject.  To me he is looking at the business side of things and looking at demographics/cash to spend, and it does not come off as overly racist.    

Why is the target audience 40-something white guys?

If you feel the experience of going to the game is safe, with no reported incidents in the years he mentioned, why does he want to cater to a segment of the population that incorrectly believes it is unsafe to go to the games because of all the black people there?

Why does the color of the cheerleaders matter?

If the demographics of the audience is predominately African-American, why would he want to play music they may not favor? Does he really think the unfounded fears of unsafe conditions will be assuaged by "white" music, whatever that is?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Here's a question I don't know the answer to.  

Have the Atlanta Hawks ever had high demand for tickets over an extended period of time?     From the distance, the impression I've had is regardless of the owner,  demographics,  or any other factor,  the Hawks have had attendance problems over the years.

Quote:Here's a question I don't know the answer to.  

Have the Atlanta Hawks ever had high demand for tickets over an extended period of time?     From the distance, the impression I've had is regardless of the owner,  demographics,  or any other factor,  the Hawks have had attendance problems over the years.

Yeah, even when they have had good teams, their season ticket turn out was pretty low.  If I lived there I'd love to go to some games (mostly to root on the Magic...lol)

Quote:Yeah, even when they have had good teams, their season ticket turn out was pretty low.  If I lived there I'd love to go to some games (mostly to root on the Magic...lol)

It seems like in general,   Atlanta hasn't supported it's professional sports teams well.   The current era Falcons under Arthur Blank appear to be the exception,  not the norm.    Whoever the owners of the Hawks will be in the next year or so,   they need to figure out ways to get people regardless of race to want to come to Hawks games.  They should have a serious discussion with Arthur Blank,  who likely saved the Atlanta Falcons franchise.  

Quote: It seems like in general,   Atlanta hasn't supported it's professional sports teams well.   The current era Falcons under Arthur Blank appear to be the exception,  not the norm.    Whoever the owners of the Hawks will be in the next year or so,   they need to figure out ways to get people regardless of race to want to come to Hawks games.  They should have a serious discussion with Arthur Blank,  who likely saved the Atlanta Falcons franchise.  

I just read he's had several billionaires reach out to him personally today in buying the team.

Forbes valued the team at $425 million dollars.  It will be very interesting to see what he actually sells for.

Quote:I just read he's had several billionaires reach out to him personally today in buying the team.

Forbes valued the team at $425 million dollars.  It will be very interesting to see what he actually sells for.

Related to the value and ultimate selling price of the Hawks,   I wonder what their lease situation is in Atlanta?    Could this be a franchise that ends up moving to Seattle or another market that's seeking a team?    

My guess is an ownership group in Seattle would pay at least $ 700 million for the Hawks if they were able to move the team to Seattle in the next 2 or 3 years.  With it becoming the new version of the Sonics.

Quote:Here's a question I don't know the answer to.  

Going back to the Braves run in the 90's when David Justice called out the fans for not coming out, all Atlanta's pro teams have had issues with attendance.

I think he saw that Sterling got $2b for being stupid/racist. He says, hmmmm. Hey I also did something really stupid/racist two years ago. Someone wanna be stupid and overpay for my crappy franchise??

Quote:I think he saw that Sterling got $2b for being stupid/racist. He says, hmmmm. Hey I also did something really stupid/racist two years ago. Someone wanna be stupid and overpay for my crappy franchise??

Im sure Hansen has him on speed dial right now.

Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing your Seattle (Basketball) Sea-Hawks.

Quote:Going back to the Braves run in the 90's when David Justice called out the fans for not coming out, all Atlanta's pro teams have had issues with attendance.

It's always crazy to me when a market like Miami or Atlanta has such poor attendance.  I know they have pro sports all year long in those cities, but they don't even pull for the bigger sports teams all the time. 

Quote:It's always crazy to me when a market like Miami or Atlanta has such poor attendance.  I know they have pro sports all year long in those cities, but they don't even pull for the bigger sports teams all the time.

I think Atlanta has some of the same issues that teams from Florida face in that a huge percentage of their population is made up of transplants that don't give up their support for their teams. The Internet changed everything. When I moved to Jax there was no Internet so you really had no way of keeping up with teams where you grew up and supported. So after several years of out of sight you decided to follow the team where you live. Heck now days with the internet you have more access to your team than when prior to the internet you even had when you lived in the same city as your team.

Quote:Why is the target audience 40-something white guys?

If you feel the experience of going to the game is safe, with no reported incidents in the years he mentioned, why does he want to cater to a segment of the population that incorrectly believes it is unsafe to go to the games because of all the black people there?

If the demographics of the audience is predominately African-American, why would he want to play music they may not favor? Does he really think the unfounded fears of unsafe conditions will be assuaged by "white" music, whatever that is?

He wants more 40-something white guys because it's a great target market; they are the ones with the most money.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said in his email. He was just trying to enlarge his fan base with a group that usually has more disposable income than other groups. And if he'd called for more black cheerleaders, no one would complain.

Therefore, I am a little baffled at the way he's running away like he is.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 01:03 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:Why is the target audience 40-something white guys?

Who predominantly buys luxury boxes? Primo seats? Who is more likely to buy concessions? The individuals with more disposable income. That is why the target audience is 40-something white guys. They are statistically more likely to have and spend more money. This isn't racism, it is statistics. He wants an audience that will spend more money, and that audience is NOT the african-american audience. Therefor he wants to do more to bring the in the audience that spends more money.

Now if you want to get into why the african-american audience isn't equal to the audience he seeks, that is an entirely different debate. I don't think he was being racist here, he was just speaking from reality. I guess speaking from reality is now 'racist'.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 03:16 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

I guess Danny Ferry isnt racist, he just made some respectful comments about Deng right?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/114964...hawks-call

Quote:Who predominantly buys luxury boxes? Primo seats? Who is more likely to buy concessions? The individuals with more disposable income. That is why the target audience is 40-something white guys. They are statistically more likely to have and spend more money. This isn't racism, it is statistics. He wants an audience that will spend more money, and that audience is NOT the african-american audience. Therefor he wants to do more to bring the in the audience that spends more money.

Now if you want to get into why the african-american audience isn't equal to the audience he seeks, that is an entirely different debate. I don't think he was being racist here, he was just speaking from reality. I guess speaking from reality is now 'racist'.

Hit the nail on the head with this one.

Quote:I guess Danny Ferry isnt racist, he just made some respectful comments about Deng right?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/114964...hawks-call

No, this is an entirely different situation.  I guess we should lump them in together though.