Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Video of Ray Rice hitting then fiance now wife Janay Parker released.

Quote:This is my beef with the whole situation, I in no way condone hitting a woman. I was raised not to, I don't and I will raise my kids not to. With that said, if you have been in a adult relationship you begin to realize some people just have toxic relationships that work for them. As outsiders we may look down on it and possibly not agree with it but if those two individuals have crafted a relationship out of that toxicity and believe they are truly meant to be together than so be. 

This was a domestic dispute and should be handled as such. I am bothered by this because he was given a punishment and has been through the ringer. This was beginning to become a non-topic and the world was beginning to move forward, then this video of something we already knew happened surfaced and he gets a worse punishment. [BAD WORD REMOVED]?!? That's like getting a DUI for crashing into another car, then someone shows the police a video of you crashing from a different angle and now you receive an even worse punishment for the SAME thing lol.

This is nothing new, we already knew he hit her and was reprimanded for it. My other beef is now you have punished both of them. This lady has still gone on to MARRY Rice. Really? If she can forgive him I think we all should move on. The media has taken this story to another level and now her husband no longer has a job and can not support his family. This thing has been over played and I feel he became the new bad guy that the media had their sights on once this story was released months ago. 

It's sad to see women get abused. It is also sad to bring this blemish back up for this family after it seems they have moved past it and expose it to the world to see. It is even more sad to see the family now have to pay the consequence because outside forces can not seem to let it go and force a PR storm onto the NFL. 

I am really ticked the [BAD WORD REMOVED] about this comment and the sentiment behind it.

All of a sudden we should have sympathy for Ray Rice, because there was video released of him striking his wife, after he has "already" been "punished". If you think I or a segment of people should come to his side in defense, then you stand a better chance of catching fish with your bare hands than for me to feel sympathy for him.

This is the bottom line.

He violently hit his wife knocking her unconscious, then the piece of [BAD WORD REMOVED] drags half her body out of the elevator, leaving her there to possibly suffer convulsions, or seizures. My honest opinion on this is he should be permanently banned from the league as a player. He deserves a second chance, but only have a position with the NFL in a non-athlete position after he has self-humiliated himself to where he has EARNED his forgiveness.

The media has not sensationalized nothing about this story not one bit, because you know what it gives HOPE to the millions of battered women who dont have a voice a chance to be seen, heard, or receive help. Morons like Jason Whitlock who want to sweep this under the rug and go away only perpetuate the problem with discussing Domestic Violence. 

Janay Palmer is suffering from some serious depression, or other mental abuse that is obvious to people who either have been victims themselves or seen other people suffer from domestic violence. As I said earlier in this thread, most men who commit domestic violence have strong manipulation behaviors that severely effects a woman's psychological state. Why do you honestly think she married him, plus released her statement yesterday?

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Let's be real for one second. He got suspended for domestic violence and the initially video had him dragging her out of the elevator. You didn't think he hit her? Come on. I would never hit my fiance either but that doesn't mean that I cant see how some men may make that mistake in their life. Everybody may not be that strong in their convictions to not make that mistake. People should also be allowed to change their opinions I just don't see how people didn't already have this reaction initially.

Every where I looked when it first happened had people wanting him gone. I don't think anyone is really changing their opinion, I think people have just found a different way to attack it. "Oh, they really messed up with that suspension." "How did you not see that tape." Who cares if they saw they tape. The commissioner talked to both of them and I'm very sure he knew what happened prior to this new tape coming out. It's just not a good precedent to set.  

I agree with everything you said, everything. Every competent person knew what happened in that elevator when the original footage was released a few months ago, to punish him again now that a new video has surfaced (confirming
what we already knew) 
is double jeopardy. Ray Rice is a [BLEEP] for hitting his fiancée, and deserves to be punished, but this has gone overboard Imo. I'm in no way, shape, or form defending Rice, but it's possible this was an isolated event where he used extremely poor judgment, just like a person who gets in their vehicle and drives after consuming too much alcohol. I'm not going to judge anyone's character on what can be an isolated event, we all make mistakes, some bigger than others. I'm interested to see the punishment Greg Hardy receives once his trial starts after this season, by all accounts that guy is an absolute monster

Quote:I am really ticked the [BAD WORD REMOVED] about this comment and the sentiment behind it.

All of a sudden we should have sympathy for Ray Rice, because there was video released of him striking his wife, after he has "already" been "punished". If you think I or a segment of people should come to his side in defense, then you stand a better chance of catching fish with your bare hands than for me to feel sympathy for him.

This is the bottom line.

He violently hit his wife knocking her unconscious, then the piece of [BAD WORD REMOVED] drags half her body out of the elevator, leaving her there to possibly suffer convulsions, or seizures. My honest opinion on this is he should be permanently banned from the league as a player. He deserves a second chance, but only have a position with the NFL in a non-athlete position after he has self-humiliated himself to where he has EARNED his forgiveness.

The media has not sensationalized nothing about this story not one bit, because you know what it gives HOPE to the millions of battered women who dont have a voice a chance to be seen, heard, or receive help. Morons like Jason Whitlock who want to sweep this under the rug and go away only perpetuate the problem with discussing Domestic Violence. 

Janay Palmer is suffering from some serious depression, or other mental abuse that is obvious to people who either have been victims themselves or seen other people suffer from domestic violence. As I said earlier in this thread, most men who commit domestic violence have strong manipulation behaviors that severely effects a woman's psychological state. Why do you honestly think she married him, plus released her statement yesterday?
You're assuming, you don't know any of this, don't make assumptions about something you know nothing about. Is it not possible this was an isolated incident? No one is defending Ray Rice, no one knows the inner workings of his relationship with his wife, he was punished (albeit not severely enough) for domestic violence, to come back and punish him again for the same incident is double jeopardy. The only reason the Baltimore Ravens and the NFL are taking this stance is to save their own image, do you think the Ravens and the NFL were naive enough not to know what happened in that elevator prior to this video being released? Give me a break, this story has received too much attention from the media and fans that know nothing about Rice's relationship with his wife..

Quote:You're assuming, you don't know any of this, don't make assumptions about something you know nothing about. Is it not possible this was an isolated incident? No one is defending Ray Rice, no one knows the inner workings of his relationship with his wife, he was punished (albeit not severely enough) for domestic violence, to come back and punish him again for the same incident is double jeopardy. The only reason the Baltimore Ravens and the NFL are taking this stance is to save their own image, do you think the Ravens and the NFL were naive enough not to know what happened in that elevator prior to this video being released? Give me a break, this story has received too much attention from the media and fans that know nothing about Rice's relationship with his wife..

You're telling him he was assuming, but you assumed what happened in that elevator. 

You two are basically saying he should get off with a two game suspension because everyone assumed what happened in that elevator.  They went by witness testimony (who was trying to keep their job without losing as much money as possible) and the cops.  What else was the NFL to do?  If they gave him an indefinite suspension for it back then, you would have said it was unfari and Goodell is a jerk.  Now he does it after the video comes out, and he's a jerk anyway. 

I love the double jeopardy arguement as if the NFL is a court of law.  This shows how flawed and dumb your arguement really is.  The NFL is a place of business and is not run like the US court system.  The incident caused damage to the NFL back in Feb/March so he was punished.  The NFL took heat for not enough punishment and put a new system in place.  The video comes out and now he is at the point he should have been in the past. 

Poor Ray Rice for knocking his wife unconcious.  How good mean old Goodell do this to him?!

Quote:You're assuming, you don't know any of this, don't make assumptions about something you know nothing about. Is it not possible this was an isolated incident? No one is defending Ray Rice, no one knows the inner workings of his relationship with his wife, he was punished (albeit not severely enough) for domestic violence, to come back and punish him again for the same incident is double jeopardy. The only reason the Baltimore Ravens and the NFL are taking this stance is to save their own image, do you think the Ravens and the NFL were naive enough not to know what happened in that elevator prior to this video being released? Give me a break, this story has received too much attention from the media and fans that know nothing about Rice's relationship with his wife..

The majority of Advocates for women of Domestic Violence who have spoken publicly since the video was releases have all said what Palmer-Rice did (marrying Ray Rice, and release a statement defending her husband) are all typical signs of a woman suffering from Stockholm or other mentally abused conditions. 

Do you really expect her to come out and say "im a victim of domestic violence" right now?

This is bigger than their relationship, Domestic Violence needs to be addressed, and addressed with no blinders or filters. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

An isolated event.  Hitting a woman one time like

Quote:The majority of Advocates for women of Domestic Violence who have spoken publicly since the video was releases have all said what Palmer-Rice did (marrying Ray Rice, and release a statement defending her husband) are all typical signs of a woman suffering from Stockholm or other mentally abused conditions. 

Do you really expect her to come out and say "im a victim of domestic violence" right now?

This is bigger than their relationship, Domestic Violence needs to be addressed, and addressed with no blinders or filters. 

Agree.  Anyone that sticks up for Ray Rice at this point really shows their character.

Quote:An isolated event.  Hitting a woman one time like

Agree.  Anyone that sticks up for Ray Rice at this point really shows their character.

I don't see anyone sticking up for Ray Rice, you can construe
however you want but that's not the case, I've had plenty of conversations voicing my displeasures when the original suspension was handed down. The fact of the matter is the NFL and the Baltimore Ravens knew
what happened in that elevator prior to this new video being released, the entire country did. This video doesn't change anything, the NFL and the Baltimore Ravens dropped the ball on the original suspension, to come back with a harder stance now that this video (again confirming what both entities already knew) has been released is ridiculous and inconsistent. I'm not arguing that Ray Rice shouldn't be punished severely; I'm simply not for how this entire situation is being handled.

Quote:I don't see anyone sticking up for Ray Rice, you can construe
however you want but that's not the case, I've had plenty of conversations voicing my displeasures when the original suspension was handed down. The fact of the matter is the NFL and the Baltimore Ravens knew
what happened in that elevator prior to this new video being released, the entire country did. This video doesn't change anything, the NFL and the Baltimore Ravens dropped the ball on the original suspension, to come back with a harder stance now that this video (again confirming what both entities already knew) has been released is ridiculous and inconsistent. I'm not arguing that Ray Rice shouldn't be punished severely; I'm simply not for how this entire situation is being handled.

Yes, you were argueing that he shouldnt be punished more severely.  You said his previous punishment should stand.

I didn't know what happened in that elevator.  I can assume (but you told JFC not to do that) what happened.  Again, the video changed things, and they didnt help Ray Rice.  He's an idiot and will probably never play in the NFL again.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 04:08 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:Yes, you were argueing that he shouldnt be punished more severely.  You said his previous punishment should stand.

I didn't know what happened in that elevator.  I can assume (but you told JFC not to do that) what happened.  Again, the video changed things, and they didnt help Ray Rice.  He's an idiot and will probably never play in the NFL again.

The 2 game suspension (again that was light in itself) was handed down based off the NFL knowing
Rice hit his fiancée, now that a video has surfaced showing Rice hitting his fiancée, that changes things? I don't understand that argument, yes Rice is an idiot, yes Rice is a [BAD WORD REMOVED] for hitting a woman, but it was the NFL and the Baltimore Ravens that dropped the ball on his discipline in the first place. To come back with further discipline now that the world has seen a video that simply confirms what everyone with a brain already knew reeks of the NFL and the Baltimore Ravens simply trying to save their own image, if they were sincere and serious about the subject matter the original suspension would've been heavier. 

Josh we're talking about two separate things, a man hitting a woman (none of us tolerate that) and the handling of the Ray Rice situation by the Ravens and the NFL, my argument is for the latter.

Quote:Josh we're talking about two separate things, a man hitting a woman (none of us tolerate that) and the handling of the Ray Rice situation by the Ravens and the NFL, my argument is for the latter.

I could care less if a "person with a brain" knew what happened in that elevator.  If there wasn't enough evidence at the time, people would have said Goodell is a tyrant and the punishment was too harsh.  The NFL/Goodell is almost always in a no win situation.  I think he's done a pretty good job letting players know he doesn't take their crap.  One instance the guy gets too little of a punishment and people go crazy.

The Ravens and Goodell made up for it after they saw the video.  They did what they needed to, but people still want to whine and complain. 

I don't think anyone is sticking up for Ray Rice.. If his wife wants to stay in a relationship with a wife beater, that's her decision and nobody can say boo about it.. Her life, her problem.. I HAD sympathy for Rice's wife but not anymore since she decided to stick around with a wife beater.. Stupid is as stupid does..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 04:34 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:I could care less if a "person with a brain" knew what happened in that elevator.  If there wasn't enough evidence at the time, people would have said Goodell is a tyrant and the punishment was too harsh.  The NFL/Goodell is almost always in a no win situation.  I think he's done a pretty good job letting players know he doesn't take their crap.  One instance the guy gets too little of a punishment and people go crazy.

The Ravens and Goodell made up for it after they saw the video.  They did what they needed to, but people still want to whine and complain. 

<span style="font-size:10.5pt;"><span style="color:#222222;"><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">There was no need for a video, Rice admitted to hitting her! That's what triggered the damn suspension in the first place; the video confirms what they were already suspending him for. I'm sorry but I have to disagree whole heartedly, this has nothing to do with the NFL sending message to individuals who commit acts of domestic violence, this has everything do with the NFL and the parties involved trying to save face after botching the original investigation and subsequent suspension. Domestic violence has been a problem in the NFL for years, there have been dozens of cases of players beating up their significant others without any discipline from Roger Goddell and the NFL, the difference in this situation is the video. The NFL and Roger Goddell don’t take anyone’s “crap” as you so eloquently only if that "crap" tarnishes the reputation of the NFL, like this situation has.  They could give damn about Ray Rice and his fiancee if they’re not affecting the bottom dollar, my issue is with the Baltimore Ravens and the NFL as they botched the entire situation, it took mass media backlash and a video for them to put the hammer down, that's where the real issue lies.

</span></span></span>

This may help...

During his interview with Norah O’Donnell of CBS, Goodell said, “[W]hen we met with Ray Rice and his representatives, it was ambiguous about what actually happened.”

Said Goodell in a separate interview with Christine Brennan of USA Today, “What we saw was new evidence [Monday] that was not consistent with what was described when we met with Ray and his representatives.”

Quote:<span style="font-size:10.5pt;"><span style="color:#222222;"><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">There was no need for a video, Rice admitted to hitting her! That's what triggered the damn suspension in the first place; the video confirms what they were already suspending him for. I'm sorry but I have to disagree whole heartedly, this has nothing to do with the NFL sending message to individuals who commit acts of domestic violence, this has everything do with the NFL and the parties involved trying to save face after botching the original investigation and subsequent suspension. Domestic violence has been a problem in the NFL for years, there have been dozens of cases of players beating up their significant others without any discipline from Roger Goddell and the NFL, the only reason this case has garnered so much attention is because of the video. The NFL and Roger Goddell don’t take anyone’s “crap” as you so eloquently only if that "crap" tarnishes the reputation of the NFL, like this situation has.  They could give damn about Ray Rice and his fiancee if they’re not affecting the bottom dollar, my issue is with the Baltimore Ravens and the NFL as they botched the entire situation, it took mass media backlash and a video for them to put the hammer down, that's where the real issue lies.

</span></span></span>

What exactly did Rice admit to?  You don't know.

Can you show me the dozens of cases where players havent been disciplined for beating up a spouse?  Especially ones that had some sort of conviction or VIDEO?

Edit:  Goodell freely admitted that he should have suspended him longer and he screwed up in a letter to the owners on August 28th.  What more do you want from him?  His resignation?

You sound bitter.

NOW leader Terry O'Neill is calling for Roger's head.. I'm gonna go on a limb and say Goodell is officially on borrowed time.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:NOW leader Terry O'Neill is calling for Roger's head.. I'm gonna go on a limb and say Goodell is officially on borrowed time.. 

Lol, so a guy who is constantly beaten up for punishments that are too severe gives out one punishment that is not severe enough (and installs a new system for punishment in these types of cases) should be fired?  Dan Patrick said he should be suspended.

People make mistakes on the job.  I think he proved here that he can admit it and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Please someone compare Ray Rice's mistake of punching his fiance to Goodell's mistake of not suspending him long enough as if they are apples and apples. 

Quote:What exactly did Rice admit to?  You don't know.

Can you show me the dozens of cases where players havent been disciplined for beating up a spouse?  Especially ones that had some sort of conviction or VIDEO?

Edit:  Goodell freely admitted that he should have suspended him longer and he screwed up in a letter to the owners on August 28th.  What more do you want from him?  His resignation?

You sound bitter.

This is per Chris Mortensen, and I'm paraphrasing btw, Rice and Janay supposedly told the NFL he was provoked into hitting her, that she was the aggressor and he simply reacted, I saw that on NFL Live yesterday. At the end of the day hitting a woman is hitting a woman, whether you were proactive or reactive in doing so doesn't matter, the NFL (again) knew he laid his hands on her, they knew he caused bodily harm that resulted in her being unconscious, the hammer should've been brought down based off that fact along. Again, it took mass media backlash and this video for the NFL to react liked they should've acted to begin with. 

Quote:Lol, so a guy who is constantly beaten up for punishments that are too severe gives out one punishment that is not severe enough (and installs a new system for punishment in these types of cases) should be fired?  Dan Patrick said he should be suspended.

People make mistakes on the job.  I think he proved here that he can admit it and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Please someone compare Ray Rice's mistake of punching his fiance to Goodell's mistake of not suspending him long enough as if they are apples and apples. 

I'm not sure why you're defending Roger Godell, Terrell Suggs has been accused of domestic violence multiple times, he's not the only one as dozens of players have been accused/found guilty of it under Goddell's watch. He's done nothing about domestic violence until now, and the only reason is it's blacked the leagues eye reputation wise, it's been a problem in the league for decades, I'd have a lot more respect for the man if he and his staff were proactive in their resolve, but it's the exact opposite.

Quote:This is per Chris Mortensen, and I'm paraphrasing btw, Rice and Janay supposedly told the NFL he was provoked into hitting her, that she was the aggressor and he simply reacted, I saw that on NFL Live yesterday. At the end of the day hitting a woman is hitting a woman, whether you were proactive or reactive in doing so doesn't matter, the NFL (again) knew he laid his hands on her, they knew he caused bodily harm that resulted in her being unconscious, the hammer should've been brought down based off that fact along. Again, it took mass media backlash and this video for the NFL to react liked they should've acted to begin with. 

No, it took the video being released for action to be taken that may have gone against what Rice and his wife said.  Rice and his wife went into those meetings trying to save his job, so who knows how much they softened exactly what happened.  Again, the video was a game changer.  I can say that in every response I make, but you will continue to ignore it.  Having an image in your head is one thing, having a video of a man knocking a woman out is another.

The media/fans were coming down on the NFL for some time regarding the suspension, causing the adjustment to the suspensions.

What else do you want the NFL to do at this point?