Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fisch is a Problem

Quote:You arent the first person to not like this offense. Plenty of people have not cared for it since day one.

I was critical of it last year, warmed up to him slightly, but I just can't accept this offense.

This isn't college, Jedd, your offense isn't working.  Your conservative, shrink the field playcalling isn't working.

This Jaguars offense has to be the easiest offense in NFL history to defend.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

its real easy...just tell your DBs to squat on the routes

Yeah, there were a couple plays where the routes were not that great...

But for the most part, I think the main issue today wasn't the play calling but the O-Line and the QB...

The QB was off slighly on most of his passes, even the ones that were caught.

The O-Line was not dependable, and you could tell BB5 had less and less confidence in the pocket as the game went on.

On a side not, didn't anyone else notice the amount of shotgun formations we had today compared to the rest of the season?

Fish seems to be trying something different.  Gotta give him credit for that.

Now, I honestly want Fish to teach BB5 how to read D's and make sure he doesn't get to check down happy...

This is the next progression for both the OC and the QB...

We'll see what happens next week, but I thought this week was less on Fish and more on BB5

nope. fisch is a problem

Quote:its real easy...just tell your DBs to squat on the routes

it's so obvious too that DBs don't respect us AT ALL

I know I'm sort of stating the obvious here, as Fisch has been under a decent amount of scrutiny during his tenure here in Jax. I might be going out on a limb by saying this, but I like Fisch and have in no way given up on him. As bone headed as a lot of his playcalls are, he has the potential to get extremely creative and crafty, as we've seen with some of his more notable plays ( i.e Ace Sanders throwing a TD pass, CHAD HENNE successfully running an option, etc.)

However, it seems like he tries too hard to be creative at times, like when i see us running really complicated screens and naked bootlegs, along with confusing short routes all over the field. I know that this type of game-plan is designed to compensate for less than spectacular pass protection, but I feel like we would see a lot more success as an offense if we went back to power O runs , and more basic passing plays, not all this tricky stuff.

Tell me what you guys think

I think u need a balance of creativity and power obvious

I think fisch is handicapped by the youth but should be playing more to the strengths of what these guys do well

Quote:I know I'm sort of stating the obvious here, as Fisch has been under a decent amount of scrutiny during his tenure here in Jax. I might be going out on a limb by saying this, but I like Fisch and have in no way given up on him. As bone headed as a lot of his playcalls are, he has the potential to get extremely creative and crafty, as we've seen with some of his more notable plays ( i.e Ace Sanders throwing a TD pass, CHAD HENNE successfully running an option, etc.)

However, it seems like he tries too hard to be creative at times, like when i see us running really complicated screens and naked bootlegs, along with confusing short routes all over the field. I know that this type of game-plan is designed to compensate for less than spectacular pass protection, but I feel like we would see a lot more success as an offense if we went back to power O runs , and more basic passing plays, not all this tricky stuff.

Tell me what you guys think
As far as the power O runs. D Rob is starting to excell in the zone blocking scheme and the young oline is starting to figure it out. This oline is not built for power football

Quote:I think fisch is handicapped by the youth but should be playing more to the strengths of what these guys do well

Who is he not doing that for?

Quote:Who is he not doing that for?
All this "complicated" offense has been doing is trying to figure out these young guys strengths and what they do well.

Quote:I think fisch is handicapped by the youth but should be playing more to the strengths of what these guys do well

The argument could be made that Fisch is not playing more to the QB's strength's, i.e. vertical passing game. Too often it seems like Fisch wants Blake to throw slants/ screens. Look at the first half last week just as one example. Then in the 2nd half when Fisch relented and started giving Blake more plays where he could utilize what he does best, the Jags moved the ball and scored a few times. 

I think he's had to water-down the playbook.  Not complicate it.

I think Fisch's passing attack will be dynamic next year when Bortles and the receivers can add more plays to their repertoire and have an offseason together to prepare. (Having two reliable TEs would be nice too)

We've only now begun to see what the run game is supposed to look like and they didn't have to get away from the ZBS to do it this time. Man it was hard to watch for awhile and it took too long, but the zone blocking is really opening lanes for Shoelace, and he's become quite good at waiting for the first crease and hitting the hole fast. 

I've defended Fisch all along and I'm sticking to my guns on him.  (of course I don't love a few situational play calls he's made  - but I like his overall approach and think he's got what it takes)  Last year, he had little talent to work with and this year the talent is  mostly in place but it's green.  I see it all coming together for this offense next year with signs of life currently appearing. 

Quote:I think he's had to water-down the playbook. Not complicate it.

I think Fisch's passing attack will be dynamic next year when Bortles and the receivers can add more plays to their repertoire and have an offseason together to work prepare. (Having two reliable TEs would be nice too)

We've only now begun to see what the run game is supposed to look like and they didn't have to get away from the ZBS to do it this time. Man it was hard to watch for awhile and it took too long, but the zone blocking is really opening lanes for Shoelace, and he's become quite good at waiting for the first crease and hitting the hole fast.

I've defended Fisch all along and I'm sticking to my guns on him. (of course I don't love a few situational play calls he's made - but I like his overall approach and think he's got what it takes) Last year, he had little talent to work with and this year the talent is mostly in place but it's green. I see it all coming together for this offense next year with signs of life currently appearing.
Caldwell said it would take 3 years

The season is over for us. Lets see which wrs play to BB style. For example, Hurns fights for the ball but shorts waits for the ball to get to him. That kind of thing

Quote:The argument could be made that Fisch is not playing more to the QB's strength's, i.e. vertical passing game. Too often it seems like Fisch wants Blake to throw slants/ screens. Look at the first half last week just as one example. Then in the 2nd half when Fisch relented and started giving Blake more plays where he could utilize what he does best, the Jags moved the ball and scored a few times. 
He simply tried to limit the INTs and focus on the run game -  converting with the pass when needed.  It's a sound strategy for a young quarterback who's making bad decisions.  I don't think he relented, the score and the clock demanded the shift. 

Of the first half drives -  2 were ended by incomplete passes.  2 ended by completed passes that were shy of the marker on 3rd and long  - and one ended with a sack.  

They actually tried to go deep three times in the first half.  Two were thwarted by pressure, one was incomplete. 

Here are two of the screen grabs showing the receivers going deep from the first half. 

[Image: 2h4miop.jpg]

[Image: 2dvvbpf.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2014, 11:07 PM by Apollo.)

Quote:He simply tried to limit the INTs and focus on the run game -  converting with the pass when needed.  It's a sound strategy for a young quarterback who's making bad decisions.  I don't think he relented, the score and the clock demanded the shift. 

Of the first half drives -  2 were ended by incomplete passes.  2 ended by completed passes that were shy of the marker on 3rd and long  - and one ended with a sack.  

They actually tried to go deep three times in the first half.  Two were thwarted by pressure, one was incomplete. 

Here are two of the screen grabs showing the receivers going deep from the first half. 

[Image: 2h4miop.jpg]

[Image: 2dvvbpf.jpg]

I didn't mean to imply they didn't try a deep pass or 2/ 3 in the first half, but it was clear that they were intentionally trying to play close to the vest. And you say above that they were trying to limit the INT - Bortles had more almost INT's in the first half when they were predominantly keeping everything short, than in the 2nd half when they opened it up. As a matter of fact most of Bortles pick 6's and INT's this season have been on the shorter passes as opposed to the intermediate or deeper attempts. 

They shouldn't wait to try deeper passes "until they have to open it up" or "when the score and clock dictated it" as you said...they should have been as vertical in the first half as the 2nd and maybe they wouldn't have been behind in the score to begin with. 

You can still have a good running game while taking deep shots off play action downfield - Norv Turner made a name for himself as offensive coordinator doing just that. (calling that style of game) 

Fisch needs to quit with the trying to hide Bortles from mistakes and let him play to his strengths. There will be INT's. So what. Let him make them. Bortles looks more uncomfortable when he's trying to force 5 yard slants that are blanketed than he ever does when he's playing his vertical game. 

I'd like to see Fisch call more running plays inside the 30.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:I didn't mean to imply they didn't try a deep pass or 2/ 3 in the first half, but it was clear that they were intentionally trying to play close to the vest. And you say above that they were trying to limit the INT - Bortles had more almost INT's in the first half when they were predominantly keeping everything short, than in the 2nd half when they opened it up. As a matter of fact most of Bortles pick 6's and INT's this season have been on the shorter passes as opposed to the intermediate or deeper attempts.  

They shouldn't wait to try deeper passes "until they have to open it up" or "when the score and clock dictated it" as you said...they should have been as vertical in the first half as the 2nd and maybe they wouldn't have been behind in the score to begin with. 

You can still have a good running game while taking deep shots off play action downfield - Norv Turner made a name for himself as offensive coordinator doing just that. (calling that style of game) 

Fisch needs to quit with the trying to hide Bortles from mistakes and let him play to his strengths. There will be INT's. So what. Let him make them. Bortles looks more uncomfortable when he's trying to force 5 yard slants that are blanketed than he ever does when he's playing his vertical game. 

I think that for one half of a football game that mustered only one sustained drive and your RB has the hot hand, three deep attempts is enough. 

I think that this whole narrative about Bortles being so much better slinging the rock downfield and ineffective at short passes is largely misguided and not founded in fact.  It sucks that he and the receivers are having trouble with the short stuff, but I'm not sure how that's Fisch's fault and I don't think tossing sound and balanced football to the wind is the way to fix the problem.  He and the receivers need to execute better. Short, long and everything in between. 

Did you read part about two of their first half deep attempts being stopped by QB pressure?  Does that also not limit the number of times you try it? 

Quote:I'd like to see Fisch call more running plays inside the 30.

Me too.