Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Gordon Suspended 1 year

Quote:Not sure if I am being wooshed here and I am missing sarcasm...

But they JUST signed him to it a couple of months ago.  If the contract were that unpalatable, why bother to match the Jaguars' offer?

No whoosh.

Getting out of an exorbitant contract adds a lot of value beyond the value of CSIII.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No whoosh.

Getting out of an exorbitant contract adds a lot of value beyond the value of CSIII.
That doesn't make much sense at all.

They did not hesitate to match the Jaguars' offer.

If it's that bad to where they'd simply have to dump it a couple of months later-before even the regular season starts- they were fools to sign it in the first place.

They would have been better off letting him walk and letting the league award them draft choice compensation and addressing the position in the draft rather than signing a deal they knew would wreck their salary structure.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 03:11 PM by The Mad Dog.)

I wonder if had the Browns known that Gordon was going to miss the year with another suspension if that would have had any effect to them choosing to match the Jags offer, (or not). 

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 03:31 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:They need a receiver now due to the year suspension. We desperately need OL/ Center help.

I love how when people can't argue against the good ideas being brought up they have to cry thread derail.

This isn't a derail - it taking the news provided in the OP and providing a solution for both teams based on the news.
Let's derail back to your suspension predictions, nostradamus
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Let's derail back to your suspension predictions, nostradamus

I  did think the suspension was going to be shortened/ dismissed. 

I was wrong there. 

I'm stunned they upheld it, personally. Goodell is probably steaming. 

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 03:40 PM by Ringo.)

[quote name="The Mad Dog" post="264955" timestamp="1409168043"]

I did think the suspension was going to be shortened/ dismissed.

I was wrong there.

I'm stunned they upheld it, personally. Goodell is probably steaming.

#19 The Mad Dog

Hall of Fame

Members

53135 posts

LocationEarth

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

hendershot, on 06 Aug 2014 - 9:04 PM, said:

So is the NFL ever going to announce anything about this or what? Why is it taking so long?

Its likely taking so long because as I suspected, he's probably going to get off scott free or at most have a significantly reduced suspension. 

They want to make sure Manziel has all the weapons as possible so he has the best chance to succeed. This is all about Manziel's advertising power and monetary benefit for the NFL.  

Like This

~...can't see the line, can you, Russ?~

MultiQuote

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Members

53135 posts

LocationEarth

So is the NFL ever going to announce anything about this or what? Why is it taking so long?

Its likely taking so long because as I suspected, he's probably going to get off scott free or at most have a significantly reduced suspension.

They want to make sure Manziel has all the weapons as possible so he has the best chance to succeed. This is all about Manziel's advertising power and monetary benefit for

Why are you posting this - I already admitted I was wrong above. You cLoWn. 

Quote:Why are you posting this - I already admitted I was wrong above. You cLoWn.

#19 The Mad Dog

Hall of Fame

Members

53135 posts

LocationEarth

They want to make sure Manziel has all the weapons as possible so he has the best chance to succeed. This is all about Manziel's advertising power and monetary benefit for the NFL.  

Like This

MultiQuote

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Why are you posting this - I already admitted I was wrong AGAIN above. You cLoWn.

Fixed
Blakes Life Matters

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 03:45 PM by The Mad Dog.)

LOL, Ringo is acting as if I am denying saying any of it, I've denied none of it. He's essentially arguing with himself. 

Laughing Laughing

#31 The Mad Dog

Hall of Fame

Members

53138 posts

LocationEarth

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

FBT, on 07 Aug 2014 - 1:16 PM, said:

I haven't noticed where Gordon has gotten any favorable treatment from the league.  Once again, Mr. Premature jumps to conclusions.  At least your dates end early. 

Your eyes are shut then. Any other player would have had their suspension upheld already. The fact that this is dragging on this long likely means only one thing....he's either getting it rescinded totally or significantly diminished. 

Like This

MultiQuote

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:That doesn't make much sense at all.

If it's that bad to where they'd simply have to dump it a couple of months later-before even the regular season starts- they were fools to sign it in the first place.

They would have been better off letting him walk and letting the league award them draft choice compensation and addressing the position in the draft rather than signing a deal they knew would wreck their salary structure.

The Browns could have signed Mack for less before he became a transition player. They did not come close to making the offer they finally matched for Mack, which tells me that they probably aren't happy with his contract. Even in the cases where teams joyfully offer a contract, dumping a lot of salary has value to a team. While Mack may be worth his salary to the Browns, he may not be worth his salary plus CSIII. We're assuming here that CSIII would be valued as any up and coming starting WR who put up 1,750 yards the last two seasons in spite of terrible QB play.

Any draft compensation the Browns receive would come in 2015, and would be reduced by the free agents they signed this year (Dansby and Whitner among others). Once again, the presumption is that CSIII is worth a lot more than the (say) end of 4th round pick in 2015 would be worth.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:That doesn't make much sense at all.

Right this doesn't make sense for them. If Cecil was an elite player, maybe. That Cecil has his own contract situation coming up further makes this a bad deal for the Browns.

They are basically going to eat Mack's signing bonus just so they can resign Cecil and eat his too.

I wonder if there's some provision in the NFL's CBA as well. In the case of the NBA, once a team matches an offer, that player cannot be traded to the team who gave the initial offer sheet.

It is a little crazy though that we are seeing a 1 year suspension for pot. It's not that I feel sorry for him, but we should be past this as a society. Obviously we still have a ways to go.

Quote:It is a little crazy though that we are seeing a 1 year suspension for pot. It's not that I feel sorry for him, but we should be past this as a society. Obviously we still have a ways to go.
NBA and MLB dont test for it. MLB doesnt test for any street drugs for starting rosters...so do a line, hit on a meth pipe...go 100 mph, but dont do any other performance enhancing stuff.

It is crazy...It shouldnt have been a major hold up in the CBA agreement. The players wouldnt argue, and owners wont lose players due to a joint. 

BUT...Maybe the point is also, its a rule. Lets see if you can abide by them....like you should when your NFL career is over.

Until it is legal, its the way it is. Stupid? Maybe. More stupid if you know the rules and still dont abide by them.

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:It is a little crazy though that we are seeing a 1 year suspension for pot. It's not that I feel sorry for him, but we should be past this as a society. Obviously we still have a ways to go.

I think there's a little more to this than just pot.  Getting a DUI while you're appealing your suspension for failing a drug test doesn't really lay out a smooth path. 

Also, pot is still illegal in most states, so until society legalizes it nationally, there's no moving past this. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:#31 The Mad Dog

Hall of Fame

Members

53138 posts

LocationEarth

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

FBT, on 07 Aug 2014 - 1:16 PM, said:

I haven't noticed where Gordon has gotten any favorable treatment from the league.  Once again, Mr. Premature jumps to conclusions.  At least your dates end early. 

Your eyes are shut then. Any other player would have had their suspension upheld already. The fact that this is dragging on this long likely means only one thing....he's either getting it rescinded totally or significantly diminished. 

Like This

MultiQuote

Well, I guess that special treatment must be somewhere else. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Brought your thread derail A game today huh?
It's is schtick.

Gordon's suspension is upheld, so he has to pivot and drag the discussion toward his own agenda. 

Quote:Thing is I didn't see them as so bad when they were living vicariously through us when they were in suspended animation and we were in our early years.

Since then, they are every bit as obnoxious as Steelers fans.
Exactly, and for no justifiable reason.  It's not like they're some sort of winning machine that has any right to brag.  They're arguably the worst run franchise in the NFL. 

Quote:The Browns could have signed Mack for less before he became a transition player. They did not come close to making the offer they finally matched for Mack, which tells me that they probably aren't happy with his contract. Even in the cases where teams joyfully offer a contract, dumping a lot of salary has value to a team. While Mack may be worth his salary to the Browns, he may not be worth his salary plus CSIII. We're assuming here that CSIII would be valued as any up and coming starting WR who put up 1,750 yards the last two seasons in spite of terrible QB play.

Any draft compensation the Browns receive would come in 2015, and would be reduced by the free agents they signed this year (Dansby and Whitner among others). Once again, the presumption is that CSIII is worth a lot more than the (say) end of 4th round pick in 2015 would be worth.
If they weren't happy with the contract, I'm pretty doubtful they would have matched it as quickly as they did.  They didn't even blink.