Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Gordon Suspended 1 year

Quote:1.  As for the talent rising in the end, this assumes the team hit on the talent and that it will all be available in the end (end of what, exactly), and it says nothing about what the team is supposed to do until this talent finally rises.

2.  Regarding your bashing of Fisch, I think you also have to come clean on your prior bashing of Bradley.  My opinion of you had changed because you championed Bradley the entire postseason of 2012-early 2013 until he became the Jaguars' head coach.  Then, literally within hours of his introductory press conference, you turned on him solely because he wasn't able to hire Norv Turner as his offensive coordinator, effectively deeming him a lost cause.  Such a dramatic departure from your own prior strong advocacy in such a short period of time made you look hopelessly reactionary at best and at worst, confirmed the worst agenda stereotypes of you on this board.

2. You cite me to come clean there, but have an awful lot of inaccuracies of your own with that paragraph. 

Yes, I championed Bradley to be a candidate but it was NOT for the entire offseason by a longshot. When that offseason first began. My hope was Andy Reid. He was my first choice. He was going to be fired by Philly and everyone knew it. As a matter of fact I remember reading stories/ rumors that last week of the regular season that linked Khan to having interest there (which proved futile even if they were true). 

The next candidate on the wish list was Chip Kelly. He was flirting with offers from the NFL and I believe Cleveland was one at that point, but he turned them down and cited that he was staying in college. 

After that my next hopeful turned to Bill O Brien. The Jags had been rumored to be after him the year prior, but instead chose Mularkey for whatever reason, probably Gene Smith. O Brien also quickly turned down the possibility of the NFL at that point and publicly stated he was staying at PSU. (for what turned out to be only one more year....) 

OK, back to the drawing board...

My next 2 candidates on the wish list were Brian Kelly from ND and Mike McCoy, OC of the Broncos. Brian Kelly quickly took his name out of the running for NFL jobs and McCoy was still out there but interviewing with other teams. 

Ok, so that leaves us at option 6. about 2 weeks into the process....

Yes, at this point I bring up Gus Bradley, stating he might be a very good, under the radar choice. The pickings were becoming slim at that point and Bradley appeared to possibly be the best left or one of. 

The Eagles had interviewed Bradley the day before he interviewed in Jacksonville. Per all accounts it was a good interview. They were all set to hire him, and then somehow at the 11th hour, Chip Kelly announces that yes, he does indeed want to coach in the NFL this season and was subsequently hired by the Eagles. and on the same day we hire Bradley on the same day of his interview. 

At that point I'm feeling burned as I would have much rather had Kelly coach the Jags, had it been privy that Kelly indeed did want to coach in the NFL and wasn't blowing smoke about staying in college. So that was part of my anger that manifested in being upset to only get Bradley when it appeared the bigger fish could have been landed. 

I also had issue with - hiring Bradley so quickly. It would have been one thing to hire Chip Kelly off of one interview as he had head coaching experience. I felt that hiring Bradley who had no head coaching experience, after one interview, was a bit reactionary and sudden. I wanted a little more due diligence done, if someone that inexperience was going to be one of the final choices. Roman could have been interviewed (and was a candidate I was high and low on during the weeks leading up to that point. I initially was low on Roman when I thought he might be rubber stamped through given his reported friendship with Caldwell) but after another good offensive showing in the playoffs, I started to warm up to the idea of Roman being a candidate. In any event, If Bradley was going to be one of the final candidates, I wanted a couple more interviewed just to be sure. 

Alas, Bradley was hired the same day, and some frustration ensued on my part via posts- via taking all of the above into account. 

You were accurate in that I did want a proven OC to be hired by Bradley as I thought that was a very important aspect to ensure a novice/ first time, defensive minded head coach would succeed. Initially the reports were that Pete Carmichael was coming aboard, and I liked this idea due to his being a part of such a productive offense in New Orleans. But he shot us down quickly. Disappointed. Then Norv Turner was my next choice there....but he either shot us down or Bradley had no interest. Turner eventually went to Cleveland. 

We wind up with Jedd Fisch, who at that point has a resume filled with short stops and frankly a lot of mediocre on it. I was concerned that he wasn't going to be a success at the pro level without a more impressive track record. 

In the end, things seem  to be on the right track. Yeah, I was all over the place during that hiring process, but guess what? When the team has such a poor track record over the last 13 years (at that point) you're going to be skeptical if things don't end up as perfectly as you hoped they could have. Yeah, I likely wound up wrong in any bashing I gave Bradley and Fisch at that time....won't deny that. But it was a very manic few weeks.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He's also currently under indefinite suspension while Gordon is on a one year ban. There is at least a light at the end of that tunnel.

I was under the impression that Blackmon could apply for re-instatement as early as week 1 in 2014. (now that doesn't mean he'd play in week 1, just would get the process rolling. 

I think week 9 is the earliest he theoretically could play, being a year suspension. 

Quote:You are misinformed. Both have a minimum of a 16 game suspension and can only be reinstated at the discretion of the commissioner.

Read for yourself http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResour...Policy.pdf

They both are in violation of the stage 3 intervention program. Gordon's appeal only confirmed he must at least serve the minimum of 16 games. His suspension is also indefinite on him complying with the terms of the stage 3 intervention program.

Gordon is suspended for the 2014 season.

Blackmon is under indefinite suspension.

How is that the same?

Quote:I was under the impression that Blackmon could apply for re-instatement as early as week 1 in 2014. (now that doesn't mean he'd play in week 1, just would get the process rolling. 

I think week 9 is the earliest he theoretically could play, being a year suspension. 

But like I said, there is no light at the end of the tunnel as of now. Gordon has a year.

Quote:I was under the impression that Blackmon could apply for re-instatement as early as week 1 in 2014. (now that doesn't mean he'd play in week 1, just would get the process rolling. 

Blackmon can apply for reinstatement 60 days before the 1 year anniversary of receiving his suspension letter.

Quote:Blackmon can apply for reinstatement 60 days before the 1 year anniversary of receiving his suspension letter.

Right, I'm guessing thats probably around week 1, given that the 1 year anniversary is probably around week 9. (60 days prior would be around week 1) 

Quote:Gordon is suspended for the 2014 season.

Blackmon is under indefinite suspension.

How is that the same?
What part of you being misinformed do you not understand?

Read the freaking documentation. Blackmon is in violation of stage 3. There is no "indefinite" suspension unless the player doesn't apply to be reinstated.

Quote:2. You cite me to come clean there, but have an awful lot of inaccuracies of your own with that paragraph. 

Yes, I championed Bradley to be a candidate but it was NOT for the entire offseason by a longshot. When that offseason first began. My hope was Andy Reid. He was my first choice. He was going to be fired by Philly and everyone knew it. As a matter of fact I remember reading stories/ rumors that last week of the regular season that linked Khan to having interest there (which proved futile even if they were true). 

The next candidate on the wish list was Chip Kelly. He was flirting with offers from the NFL and I believe Cleveland was one at that point, but he turned them down and cited that he was staying in college. 

After that my next hopeful turned to Bill O Brien. The Jags had been rumored to be after him the year prior, but instead chose Mularkey for whatever reason, probably Gene Smith. O Brien also quickly turned down the possibility of the NFL at that point and publicly stated he was staying at PSU. (for what turned out to be only one more year....) 

OK, back to the drawing board...

My next 2 candidates on the wish list were Brian Kelly from ND and Mike McCoy, OC of the Broncos. Brian Kelly quickly took his name out of the running for NFL jobs and McCoy was still out there but interviewing with other teams. 

Ok, so that leaves us at option 6. about 2 weeks into the process....

Yes, at this point I bring up Gus Bradley, stating he might be a very good, under the radar choice. The pickings were becoming slim at that point and Bradley appeared to possibly be the best left or one of. 

The Eagles had interviewed Bradley the day before he interviewed in Jacksonville. Per all accounts it was a good interview. They were all set to hire him, and then somehow at the 11th hour, Chip Kelly announces that yes, he does indeed want to coach in the NFL this season and was subsequently hired by the Eagles. and on the same day we hire Bradley on the same day of his interview. 

At that point I'm feeling burned as I would have much rather had Kelly coach the Jags, had it been privy that Kelly indeed did want to coach in the NFL and wasn't blowing smoke about staying in college. So that was part of my anger that manifested in being upset to only get Bradley when it appeared the bigger fish could have been landed. 

I also had issue with - hiring Bradley so quickly. It would have been one thing to hire Chip Kelly off of one interview as he had head coaching experience. I felt that hiring Bradley who had no head coaching experience, after one interview, was a bit reactionary and sudden. I wanted a little more due diligence done, if someone that inexperience was going to be one of the final choices. Roman could have been interviewed (and was a candidate I was high and low on during the weeks leading up to that point. I initially was low on Roman when I thought he might be rubber stamped through given his reported friendship with Caldwell) but after another good offensive showing in the playoffs, I started to warm up to the idea of Roman being a candidate. In any event, If Bradley was going to be one of the final candidates, I wanted a couple more interviewed just to be sure. 

Alas, Bradley was hired the same day, and some frustration ensued on my part via posts- via taking all of the above into account. 

You were accurate in that I did want a proven OC to be hired by Bradley as I thought that was a very important aspect to ensure a novice/ first time, defensive minded head coach would succeed. Initially the reports were that Pete Carmichael was coming aboard, and I liked this idea due to his being a part of such a productive offense in New Orleans. But he shot us down quickly. Disappointed. Then Norv Turner was my next choice there....but he either shot us down or Bradley had no interest. Turner eventually went to Cleveland. 

We wind up with Jedd Fisch, who at that point has a resume filled with short stops and frankly a lot of mediocre on it. I was concerned that he wasn't going to be a success at the pro level without a more impressive track record. 

In the end, things seem  to be on the right track. Yeah, I was all over the place during that hiring process, but guess what? When the team has such a poor track record over the last 13 years (at that point) you're going to be skeptical if things don't end up as perfectly as you hoped they could have. Yeah, I likely wound up wrong in any bashing I gave Bradley and Fisch at that time....won't deny that. But it was a very manic few weeks.  
1.  I didn't say the entire offseason.  I said you championed him for the ENTIRE POSTSEASON of 2012 through the early part of 2013.  Not sure where the inaccuracy is there.

2.  I didn't say you had no other coaching candidates you liked or that Bradley was your first choice.  My only assertion is that Gus Bradley was a coaching candidate you liked and for whom you advocated.  Again, I'm unsure where the inaccuracy was.

3.  Your objection to the "one interview" of Bradley is as silly now as it was then, considering IT WAS AN ELEVEN (11) HOUR INTERVIEW.  Not an "11th hour interview" meaning it was at the very last minute.  The interview Bradley had with Caldwell was eleven hours in duration.

4.  Norv Turner was named as Browns OC, IIRC, either the day before or the morning of the Bradley introductory press conference.

5.  All of the above is largely immaterial.  At one point you championed Bradley, then immediately turned on him.  At one point you trashed Fisch and now you like him.

That doesn't strike you as the least bit reactionary?

Would it have hurt you to take a wait and see approach?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:What part of you being misinformed do you not understand?

Read the freaking documentation. Blackmon is in violation of stage 3. There is no "indefinite" suspension unless the player doesn't apply to be reinstated.

His suspension is classified as "indefinite", is it not?

Quote:1.  I didn't say the entire offseason.  I said you championed him for the ENTIRE POSTSEASON of 2012 through the early part of 2013.  Not sure where the inaccuracy is there.

2.  I didn't say you had no other coaching candidates you liked or that Bradley was your first choice.  My only assertion is that Gus Bradley was a coaching candidate you liked and for whom you advocated.  Again, I'm unsure where the inaccuracy was.

3.  Your objection to the "one interview" of Bradley is as silly now as it was then, considering IT WAS AN ELEVEN (11) HOUR INTERVIEW.  Not an "11th hour interview" meaning it was at the very last minute.  The interview Bradley had with Caldwell was eleven hours in duration.

4.  Norv Turner was named as Browns OC, IIRC, either the day before or the morning of the Bradley introductory press conference.

5.  All of the above is largely immaterial.  At one point you championed Bradley, then immediately turned on him.  At one point you trashed Fisch and now you like him.

1. I apologize. I read that too fast and thought it said all offseason (or meaning for a long time) 

2. Yes, but the implication seemed to be that you were asserting that Bradley was "THE" coach for me, and that wasn't the case. 

3. Well we disagree here. I'm sure Caldwell had some long interviews with Shad Khan too, and he wasn't hired after only one interview. I think some time to reflect is beneficial for both parties, ESPECIALLY when the candidate is a first time head coach. If you were hiring a guy with head coach experience, then yes, it would have been easier for me to accept a hiring after only one interview. 

4. Ok, so if true, my wanting of Turner as OC must have been before any HC was officially named. Not sure how you could blame me on this one. (figuratively speaking) as Turner as OC is one of the best out there. 

5. When have I ever claimed to not be reactionary? You know my personality is likely never going to be the wait and see approach, type. Championing Bradley when you think he's the best candidate available, and then your initial candidate #2 suddenly appears out of nowhere as willing and able to come to the NFL, then you're going to feel like you suddenly got less than you could have. That disappointment was displayed (wrongly) by bashing Bradley. In retrospect, what a cooler head at the time would have done would be to express disappointment for wanting Kelly and not getting him, thinking he was off the market. But as said, you know I'm a heart on sleeve typical "fan" (short for fanatic). This board usually isn't going to get overproduced thoughts from me. What you'll get is honest raw emotion of how I am feeling at that second of posting. 

Quote:His suspension is classified as "indefinite", is it not?
It's classified the exact same way as Gordon's.

Lol. You gotta love Gordon's response.

Leaving aside unlikely trades and the need to taunt those people who believed he would face a reduced penalty, in think we are back to the Blackmon situation again.

We've got another incredibly talented athlete willing to throw away his career without any apparent regret.

Is being a multi-millionaire sporting superstar not appealing enough any more ??!!

I'm not offering any solutions, but what a tragic waste.

Quote:Leaving aside unlikely trades and the need to taunt those people who believed he would face a reduced penalty, in think we are back to the Blackmon situation again.

We've got another incredibly talented athlete willing to throw away his career without any apparent regret.

Is being a multi-millionaire sporting superstar not appealing enough any more ??!!

I'm not offering any solutions, but what a tragic waste.
Agreed on the tragic waste of talent. 

For Blackmon, my hope is that he figures it out and he's able to get back on the field and become a productive player in the league.  With him on the field, this team is a much more dynamic offense. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:1.  I didn't say the entire offseason.  I said you championed him for the ENTIRE POSTSEASON of 2012 through the early part of 2013.  Not sure where the inaccuracy is there.

He's never going to allow for that.  Every opinion must be formulated immediately, then defended to the death.  Otherwise you're either too wishy washy to state your opinion, or you're a flip flopper in his world. 

Anyone who preached patience, whether it was Bradley, Fisch, or any other coach was regularly derided for taking that position. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:His suspension is classified as "indefinite", is it not?
Yes, his suspension has always been classified as indefinite. 

For that matter, so is Gordon's suspension.  He can apply for reinstatement after 1 year, just like Blackmon.  There's no guarantee either will be reinstated at that point. 

expected to be reduced to 8 games

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...03802.html