Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Other peoples trash

What about bringing in Tyler Larsen who was cut by Miami yesterday. He is a rookie center out of Utah state who was projected as a 4th to 5th round pick.

Just wondering

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Why was he cut?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:What about bringing in Tyler Larsen who was cut by Miami yesterday. He is a rookie center out of Utah state who was projected as a 4th to 5th round pick.

Just wondering

I'd do it

I would too.

Kick the tires and see what he has.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

i wanted to see us pick him up after the draft, Not sure if we will or not now tho.

Quote:i wanted to see us pick him up after the draft, Not sure if we will or not now tho.

Unless he was cut because of injury, I'd certainly bring him in. 

I haven't seen the Dolphins in the pre-season.   But I do recall in the pre-draft process that some were understandably considered about Tyler Larsen's short arms.   He might not be a good enough athlete to compensate for having short arms.

Quote:I haven't seen the Dolphins in the pre-season.   But I do recall in the pre-draft process that some were understandably considered about Tyler Larsen's short arms.   He might not be a good enough athlete to compensate for having short arms.
Short armed and lacking strength.  Two things that are the trademark of a top notch center.  Wink

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Short armed and lacking strength.  Two things that are the trademark of a top notch center.  Wink

Unfortunately,  it's usually a lethal football combination.    This is a classic example of a player that has good upper body weight room strength but doesn't have enough functional football strength.   

Right now,  it's hard to imagine Tyler Larsen being a significant factor in the NFL.   The fact that the Dolphins gave up on him before the final mandatory cuts,  despite their current questions at Center,   doesn't bode well for Larsen's NFL future.  

Quote:Short armed and lacking strength. Two things that are the trademark of a top notch center. Wink

Brett Romberg syndrome.

Quote:Short armed and lacking strength.  Two things that are the trademark of a top notch center.  Wink

looking at a brewster dupe right there. but, hey, a true football savant would "kick the tires."

even though brewster is terrible and we "desperately need interior O line help."

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

another Brewster

Quote:looking at a brewster dupe right there. but, hey, a true football savant would "kick the tires."

even though brewster is terrible and we "desperately need interior O line help."

I mentioned that earlier in the thread. He really is just a Brewster clone which is exactly what we don't need.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Romberg kicked around the league for awhile though.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Quote:Romberg kicked around the league for awhile though.

I thought he even had a good season or 2 with the Rams/ 

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 06:36 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:looking at a brewster dupe right there. but, hey, a true football savant would "kick the tires."

1.  Do you know why, exactly he was cut?  Not FBT's description of him above (not knocking you, FBT), but the specific deficiencies the Dolphins saw?  If so, please provide a link from a credible source with a quote from Dolphins' brass stating the exact deficiencies leading to his release.

2.  Do you know of any stud Cs that are currently available that would immediately and demonstrably upgrade the position for us?  Name them.

3.  Regarding your answer (s) for question 2 above, assuming you listed a player or more, why are they available now and not in an NFL camp?

4.  Is our C position a strength or a deficiency?

5.  Is it an absolute that no player that did not survive the first cuts is wholly incapable of playing in the league?

6.  Caldwell and Bradley brought in A. Caldwell, who had been unemployed since last year.  Are they "football savants" for kicking the tires on him?

7.  Is it possible Caldwell and Bradley will bring in someone else from the waiver wire/cut lists to try them out, even if that player does not represent the long term answer at C?

Quote:1. Do you know why, exactly he was cut? Not FBT's description of him above (not knocking you, FBT), but the specific deficiencies the Dolphins saw? If so, please provide a link from a credible source with a quote from Dolphins' brass stating the exact deficiencies leading to his release.

2. Do you know of any stud Cs that are currently available that would immediately and demonstrably upgrade the position for us? Name them.

3. Regarding your answer (s) for question 2 above, assuming you listed a player or more, why are they available now and not in an NFL camp?

4. Is our C position a strength or a deficiency?

5. Is it an absolute that no player that did not survive the first cuts is wholly incapable of playing in the league?

6. Caldwell and Bradley brought in A. Caldwell, who had been unemployed since last year. Are they "football savants" for kicking the tires on him?

7. Is it possible Caldwell and Bradley will bring in someone else from the waiver wire/cut lists to try them out, even if that player does not represent the long term answer at C?

Center is definitely a weakness right now but I don't believe anyone is out there that would be a reasonable upgrade.

There may be a guy brought in to offer some insurance throughout the season, depending on Caldwell's faith in whoever winds up the backup I guess.

In terms of Larsen, I watched him a lot in college and had the same opinion. I actually think Brewster is stronger.

And also with centers its important to remember that they're the quarterbacks of the offensive line. They have a LOT to learn and manage. So at this point anyone brought in would be significantly behind.

The football savant thing is just a jab at TMD who has been way off the range the last couple weeks. He always says he comes up with good ideas but honestly 99% don't make sense and he has been upping the quantity in a bad way.

But, yeah, it does suck the way our interior line looks right now and I wish the jags roster was already stacked but it takes time. I'm hoping we get surprised by what we have and if not we get it fixed next year.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

The only "trash" I'd consider picking up is a TE at this point. Next cuts I'd look at some of the OL

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM by Ringo.)

Quote:Short armed and lacking strength. Two things that are the trademark of a top notch center. Wink
Brett Romberg part deaux

Edit..Didn't see the earlier Romberg quip. He did play with the Rams for a while though. Another Canuck.

They're taking over,I tell ya.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Center is definitely a weakness right now but I don't believe anyone is out there that would be a reasonable upgrade.

There may be a guy brought in to offer some insurance throughout the season, depending on Caldwell's faith in whoever winds up the backup I guess.

In terms of Larsen, I watched him a lot in college and had the same opinion. I actually think Brewster is stronger.

And also with centers its important to remember that they're the quarterbacks of the offensive line. They have a LOT to learn and manage. So at this point anyone brought in would be significantly behind.

The football savant thing is just a jab at TMD who has been way off the range the last couple weeks. He always says he comes up with good ideas but honestly 99% don't make sense and he has been upping the quantity in a bad way.

But, yeah, it does suck the way our interior line looks right now and I wish the jags roster was already stacked but it takes time. I'm hoping we get surprised by what we have and if not we get it fixed next year.

Okay. 

I was wondering because I specifically indicated to "kick the tires" on him.

I agree completely with your closing paragraph though.  During the draft I was hoping we'd somehow land Swanson, but Detroit nabbed him.  I've liked what I've seen from Linder, but he's a G.  I wish we had somehow gotten both, but we had so many holes coming into this off season, we couldn't have filled them all with studs.  But yeah...next year looks like when we'll address C, barring something wholly unforeseen.