Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Garrard wishing the Rams would call

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 04:21 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:"Elite"

Nothing like Henne, which you just stated/ compared above. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 04:22 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I saw Garrard for what he was.  He was a decent backup QB.  Nothing more.  If he had the mental game, he could have been one of the better QBs in the league, but he didn't. 

He was more than just a decent backup. He was an overall decent starter for us. 

Quote:He was more than just a decent backup. He was an overall decent starter. 
Middle of the road at best. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Middle of the road at best. 

Well fine, but certainly better than your initial "decent backup" claim, 

Quote:Nothing like Henne, which you just stated/ compared above. 

Henne has the same shortcoming as Garrard.  He has all the physical tools to be a very good QB in the league, but he makes boneheaded mistakes.  It's the mental game that lets him down, just like it did pretty regularly for Garrard.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Well fine, but certainly better than your initial "decent backup" claim, 

Not really. There's a body of work to reference that doesn't begin and end with 2007.  He is a decent backup. 

If he was anything more than that, he'd probably still be in the league. 

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 04:28 PM by Jags32250.)

2007 he looked like an upper echelon QB.  2010, middle of the pack.  Beyond that he had his struggles but put in the right situation i think he could have been a serviceable starting QB.  Imagine him on the Seahawks or Broncos.

Quote:2007 he looked like an upper echelon QB.  2010, middle of the pack.  Beyond that he had his struggles but put in the right situation i think he could have been a serviceable starting QB.  Imagine him on the Seahawks or Broncos.
Serviceable = Average = Middle of the road. 

I'm sure in the right situation he would have probably seen more success.  But, like other QBs we've seen here, when all things weren't clicking on all cylinders, he struggled. 

Quote:Serviceable = Average = Middle of the road. 

I'm sure in the right situation he would have probably seen more success.  But, like other QBs we've seen here, when all things weren't clicking on all cylinders, he struggled. 
Yes, that's all i'm saying.  He got bashed pretty hard here and i don't think it was deserved, at least not the level these fans took it to.  On a seperate note, i was just looking through his stats and noticed he was only 6'1".  I didn't know that, he seemed taller.

Quote:Not really. There's a body of work to reference that doesn't begin and end with 2007.  He is a decent backup. 

If he was anything more than that, he'd probably still be in the league. 

I think a big part of the reason he's not in the league any more is that his body started to break down and fail on him. Starting with the back issues the year we released him. 

Quote:2007 he looked like an upper echelon QB.  2010, middle of the pack.  Beyond that he had his struggles but put in the right situation i think he could have been a serviceable starting QB.  Imagine him on the Seahawks or Broncos.

The above is similar to how I'd describe it too....with maybe a slightly higher rating than "middle of the pack" for 2010. 

Quote:The above is similar to how I'd describe it too....with maybe a slightly higher rating than "middle of the pack" for 2010. 
For the adversity he had to handle, i'd definately agree with you.  He'd be starting somewhere today had his body held up.

Easily the 2nd best QB to wear a Jags uniform.  (Until now :woot: )

Quote:Easily the 2nd best QB to wear a Jags uniform.  (Until now :woot: )
That's not saying much.  You've got Brunell, then everyone else. 

Quote:That's not saying much.  You've got Brunell, then everyone else. 
Unfortunately, no it's not.  And there are a whole bunch of years where Brunell wasn't donning our uni.

Quote:Unfortunately, no it's not.  And there are a whole bunch of years where Brunell wasn't donning our uni.
Yeah, but Brunell had his best days as a Jaguar. He flashed with the REDSKINS in 2005. 

Quote:Yeah, but Brunell had his best days as a Jaguar. He flashed with the REDSKINS in 2005. 
LOL.  Did you capitalize that for the reason i think you did?

Quote:Henne has the same shortcoming as Garrard.  He has all the physical tools to be a very good QB in the league, but he makes boneheaded mistakes.  It's the mental game that lets him down, just like it did pretty regularly for Garrard.
I don't think it's possible to compare Henne and Garrard.

I think there's a bunch of terrible reads and throws that Henne has attempted that Garrard wouldn't even have tried to throw, and I don't exactly value Garrard as a great decision maker either.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:I don't think it's possible to compare Henne and Garrard.

I think there's a bunch of terrible reads and throws that Henne has attempted that Garrard wouldn't even have tried to throw, and I don't exactly value Garrard as a great decision maker either.
I can agree with this.

Quote:Good QBs have the ability to work with the talent surrounding them and to succeed.  Garrard never lifted this team up.  The one play that got him the contract was a thing of beauty as long as you ignore the non-calls for holding.  That game got him his contract despite the fact that if you look at his entire game in Pittsburgh that day, he wasn't very good. 

We can certainly debate the quality of that offensive line.  It was the same one that couldn't protect Leftwich.  They were far more effective in blocking for the run, but their pass protection was never very good. 

Now you sound like a Steeler fan. Holds like that particular one are almost never called.

I was far from a Garrard fan, but I have to give him his due. He had a great season in 2007. He was frequently stuck in 3rd and 7'sville after 2 runs, and then managed to get the first down. He also had a good game in the playoff loss to the Pats, with Northcutt and Mattloaf both dropping TDs. After 2005, Garrard never had as much as even an average pair of receivers. OK, his failure to carry a team without decent receivers means that he's no Tom Brady, but there's a lot of room below that level. His contract was not from the one play against the Steelers, but from his consistent play all season. If you remember, the story was that an easy fix in his footwork explained why he was so much better in 2007 than he was in 2006, and the Jags believed it was a permanent improvement. It wasn't of course.

But his 2007 season was amazing.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"