Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tebow Ready To Ram

Quote:No, they're not. I wouldn't expect you to know the difference between them, but I'll go ahead and explain them to you.

Pride would mean he really does believe in himself, and he'd be willing to go prove himself in the arena league.

Arrogance is more hubris and is shown by his fear of playing at a level lower than the NFL. He's not a good QB and he doesn't have the skills to be an NFL QB, so his insistence that he's good enough to be one and only in the NFL is arrogance.

As was pointed out by others it's not like other players that were doubted didn't go play somewhere else to prove their ability. Those were confident men of pride, Tebow doesn't have what those guys have.

I allowed for the possibility of pride as a label because some here might really believe he is good and just think it's pride.

You're welcome.
You're really stretching. But, it's what you do.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 12:42 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:Flutie is most certainly the same thing.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361324/article/doug-flutie-nfl-becoming-more-like-the-cfl'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361324/article/doug-flutie-nfl-becoming-more-like-the-cfl</a>

Here are the first lines of the article:
That still doesn't say anything about going to Canada to 'work on' anything and even though it could be implied it doesn't necessarily mean he was trying to get back in the NFL. Sure he may have gotten back for his accomplishments, but he and most other 'Muricans are trying to keep playing and earn a paycheck by going to Canada.

Flutie's problem was that he was too short. He couldn't go to Canada to get taller.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 12:40 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Bullseye was absolutely correct about Tebow getting credit for 2 national championships when Leak was the Gator QB for the first one.  That isn't downplaying the quality of player Tebow was at the collegiate level.  It simply points out the fact that mythology tends to exaggerate his accomplishments.

Does only the starting QB get credit for wins, super bowls, and national championships? Tebow wasn't the starting quarterback, but he accounted for 13 touchdowns and over 800 yards as a true freshman on a stacked Florida team. He also accounted for two touchdowns in the National Championship game that year. Chris Leak is not the only play that gets credit for being a National Champion that year, regardless of the narrative you guys try to present.

Again, this is coming from someone who is totally against Tebow being a Jaguar or NFL quarterback anywhere.

Quote:You're really stretching. But, it's what you do.

I'll take that as a begrudging, "You're right."

Quote:I'll take that as a begrudging, "You're right."

He won't respond to my example of arrogance.

Denard Robinson: "I will play whatever position my team needs me to."

Tim Tebow: "I'm a quarterback. I'll only play quarterback."

One realizes he doesn't have the skills needed to play QB in the NFL while the other insists he does and lets that arrogance lead to selfishness.

Quote:He won't respond to my example of arrogance.

One realizes he doesn't have the skills needed to play QB in the NFL while the other insists he does and lets that arrogance lead to selfishness.

This is the internet, even getting a response to an enlightened and conclusively correct post is difficult. Even in my case his response was only to personally attack my integrity.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:He won't respond to my example of arrogance.

And? It's called 'a choice'. One was drafted knowing he wouldn't be QB. To the best of my knowledge, no team that Tebow WAS ON asked him to play another position.

Quote:That still doesn't say anything about going to Canada to 'work on' anything and even though it could be implied it doesn't necessarily mean he was trying to get back in the NFL. Sure he may have gotten back for his accomplishments, but he and most other 'Muricans are trying to keep playing and earn a paycheck by going to Canada.

Flutie's problem was that he was too short. He couldn't go to Canada to get taller.

For whatever reason, Flutie was perceived not to fit the mold of the NFL QB...just like Tebow.  To get the chance to continue his career, Flutie went to Canada.  Even if not for the stated goal of working on some of his skills, it's folly to think he got ZERO position specific coaching while up in Canada.

Flutie, once given the opportunity to return to the NFL, with all of the additional experience and coaching gained in Canada, jumped at the chance.

Are there differences?  Sure.  But they are not relevant for the purposes of this discussion

But the bottom line is that Tebow was deemed to have football related traits undesirable for the NFL.  After he was let go by three different teams, he could have tried to go to Canada or the AFL to ultimately achieve his stated goal of playing QB in the NFL.

He didn't, Flutie did.

Some have deemed that an act of arrogance on Tebow's part.

I don't know if he did not pursue Canada or the AFL out of arrogance or not.

But despite his outward proclamations of faith, he is capable of arrogance as a human...just like every one else.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:And? It's called 'a choice'. One was drafted knowing he wouldn't be QB. To the best of my knowledge, no team that Tebow WAS ON asked him to play another position.

Right, it was choice based on his arrogance of believing he was an NFL caliber QB. A humble player would say "I'll do whatever the team needs me to do".

Quote:Right, it was choice based on his arrogance of believing he was an NFL caliber QB. A humble player would say "I'll do whatever the team needs me to do".

I am not saying you are definitively wrong here.

He very well could have decided that out of arrogance.

But I also am not saying you are definitively right here, either.  He could have decided his best chance to make an NFL team is playing the position he has played his entire life, and that his other attributes do not necessarily translate into success at other positions, especially since he had to compete against players who have played those positions for years.

If that was his thought process, I cannot automatically attribute that to arrogance. 

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 02:42 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:Right, it was choice based on his arrogance of believing he was an NFL caliber QB. A humble player would say "I'll do whatever the team needs me to do".
How can you say I'll do what the team needs me to do if they don't actually ask you to do it?

Furthermore, wasn't he on the punt protection team with the Jets? Is that a typical position for a QB?

And let me just finish my participation in this thread by saying; I don't see how anything that Tebow has done could be construed as 'arrogant'. If he was arrogant he would have handled a horrible situation with the Jets far differently.

Quote:How can you say I'll do what the team needs me to do if they don't actually ask you to do it?

Furthermore, wasn't he on the punt protection team with the Jets? Is that a typical position for a QB?

He was asked the question: "If the team needs/wants you to change positions, would you be willing to?"

Tebow stated that he would refuse because he is an NFL Quarterback. that is arrogance.

Quote:How can you say I'll do what the team needs me to do if they don't actually ask you to do it?

Yeah, I don't think there was any arrogance there.  He did exactly what he was asked to do. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:He was asked the question: "If the team needs/wants you to change positions, would you be willing to?"

Tebow stated that he would refuse because he is an NFL Quarterback. that is arrogance.
That's not arrogance.  That's a guy who has only played one position for the overwhelming majority of his time playing the game.  It's what he knows. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

If Tebow doesn't play QB for the Rams, maybe they can sign Eric Crouch...Oops, the Rams tried that already

Quote:That's not arrogance.  That's a guy who has only played one position for the overwhelming majority of his time playing the game.  It's what he knows. 

So? The question posed is that if the only opportunity to make an NFL roster is to switch positions AND his employer says switching positions will benefit the team, would he consider a position switch?

A humble person who's girl is to better the team would be open to that position switch. A person arrogant about their skills (despite a lack thereof) would state: "No. I'm an NFL quarterback." and not consider anything else.

Denard Robinson only played one position for the overwhelming majority of his time playing the game. It's what he knew. However, he showed humility and accepted that switching positions would benefit him and whatever team would take a flier on him. Denard could have pulled Tim Tebow's arrogance card and said "No, I'm not playing RB. I'm a QB", in which case he'd be sitting at home watching games from his couch.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM by trunt87.)

Quote:So? The question posed is that if the only opportunity to make an NFL roster is to switch positions AND his employer says switching positions will benefit the team, would he consider a position switch?

A humble person who's girl is to better the team would be open to that position switch. A person arrogant about their skills (despite a lack thereof) would state: "No. I'm an NFL quarterback." and not consider anything else.

Denard Robinson only played one position for the overwhelming majority of his time playing the game. It's what he knew. However, he showed humility and accepted that switching positions would benefit him and whatever team would take a flier on him. Denard could have pulled Tim Tebow's arrogance card and said "No, I'm not playing RB. I'm a QB", in which case he'd be sitting at home watching games from his couch.
Except Denard has a skill set that can translate to another position at the pro level. I am not so sure Tebow does.

Quote:Except Denard has a skill set that can translate to another position at the pro level. I am not so sure Tebow does.

That isn't my point. My point is that he was asked IF a team thought he could be utilized better at a different position, would he be willing to switch positions. He said no because he is an NFL caliber QB. That, in my opinion, is arrogant. A person showing humility will treat that question the way Denard and others that have switched positions have answered that question.

Quote:That isn't my point. My point is that he was asked IF a team thought he could be utilized better at a different position, would he be willing to switch positions. He said no because he is an NFL caliber QB. That, in my opinion, is arrogant. A person showing humility will treat that question the way Denard and others that have switched positions have answered that question.

I can't hold it against the man for wanting to play the position he loves to play. Good for Denard. He will prob see a longer career because but I don't think Tebow is arrogant for wanting to play Qb.

Do we know if the Jets, pats, or the Broncos asked him to play another position. As rico mentioned earlier he didnt seem to have a problem playing punt protector.