Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I know that Bortles is superior to Henne, but I still don't want him starting in 2014

Let me just say that in the past 10+ years of watching our team play, I don't think any of us have ever seen a QB play on this team that has risen up and learned the game so quickly with the talent and command presence that Blake Bortles currently has. That includes not only preseason, but regular season as well. I think that Bortles will be even better than what Mark Brunell was in the 1990's, and Garrard in 07-08. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bortles has a lot of potential to be what Big Ben was for Pittsburgh in 04, Joe Flacco for Baltimore in 08, and Russell Wilson for the Seahawks in 2012.

In other words, we've hopefully found a potential (key word "potential") championship caliber QB. And that is exactly why I don't want the team to start Bortles in 2014. Without a doubt, we all know that this team will be vastly improved compared to 2013. But there's still a lot of holes on this team that need to be fixed before we can throw him to the wolves.

People will say that Bortles isn't like Gabbert. Or rather, Gabbert is not like Bortles Laughing.  But I believe that it would be unwise of the team if they started Bortles too early and did not give him more time to digest more information and be even better prepared in 2015 than he is now. Frankly, I would look at Caldwell and Bradley as being hypocrites if they started him before the 2015 regular season. But I do trust Caldwell and Bradley's wisdom enough to know, that if they say that Bortles won't be starting Week 1, than it must be for the greater good of the team and the fans.

But on the other hand, for all we know if we started Bortles now he might struggle against 1st team defenses and that would really shake his confidence. And it would be disastrous, if he suffered a major injury before that time.

Bottom line is this: Some of you might not agree with what I say, but I would gladly take another 6-10 or 7-9 losing season with Henne at the helm. If it meant that the Jags would be in the playoffs and competing for a championship in 2015. I'm going to stick to my heart and conscience on this issue, and I hope that Gus and Caldwell do too. And I think that by now we are a matured, and disciplined enough fanbase to accept this.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Nah
;

;

Rookie starters end up worrying about gameplans and studying the defenses and revert to old bad habits in game.

Spend the year coaching him up.

At least park him until game 8 at minimum.

I think last night's performance pretty much dispelled the possibility of his struggling against first string defenses and as far as his possibly being injured? Every QB that trots onto the field on any given game-day stands the possibility of being injured. It's a tough game for tough men and everything I've seen of Blake Bortles thus far, suggests that he's as tough as the best of them.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:Let me just say that in the past 10+ years of watching our team play, I don't think any of us have ever seen a QB play on this team that has risen up and learned the game so quickly with the talent and command presence that Blake Bortles currently has. That includes not only preseason, but regular season as well. I think that Bortles will be even better than what Mark Brunell was in the 1990's, and Garrard in 07-08. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bortles has a lot of potential to be what Big Ben was for Pittsburgh in 04, Joe Flacco for Baltimore in 08, and Russell Wilson for the Seahawks in 2012.

In other words, we've hopefully found a potential (key word "potential") championship caliber QB. And that is exactly why I don't want the team to start Bortles in 2014. Without a doubt, we all know that this team will be vastly improved compared to 2013. But there's still a lot of holes on this team that need to be fixed before we can throw him to the wolves.

People will say that Bortles isn't like Gabbert. Or rather, Gabbert is not like Bortles Laughing. But I believe that it would be unwise of the team if they started Bortles too early and did not give him more time to digest more information and be even better prepared in 2015 than he is now. Frankly, I would look at Caldwell and Bradley as being hypocrites if they started him before the 2015 regular season. But I do trust Caldwell and Bradley's wisdom enough to know, that if they say that Bortles won't be starting Week 1, than it must be for the greater good of the team and the fans.

But on the other hand, for all we know if we started Bortles now he might struggle against 1st team defenses and that would really shake his confidence. And it would be disastrous, if he suffered a major injury before that time.

Bottom line is this: Some of you might not agree with what I say, but I would gladly take another 6-10 or 7-9 losing season with Henne at the helm. If it meant that the Jags would be in the playoffs and competing for a championship in 2015. I'm going to stick to my heart and conscience on this issue, and I hope that Gus and Caldwell do too. And I think that by now we are a matured, and disciplined enough fanbase to accept this.
I seriously use too believe this also.. At the same time you still have to play the best guy that gives your team the best chance to win! And to me that looks like Bortles right now. I dont wanna see another losing season like you with a struggling Henne at QB. Our fanbase deserves quality.And we finally have it.

When we are 1-5 they might throw him in to salvage the season... hopefully

Quote:Rookie starters end up worrying about gameplans and studying the defenses and revert to old bad habits in game.

Spend the year coaching him up.

Except when they don't
;

;

Sit him till 2015. I cant watch the games this year anyway haha

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Tl:dr

He's ready, play the kid.

So in other words your scared?

I wish they had brought in Sanchez because he is better and more exciting than Henne imo.

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Bortles won't start in Week One but he'll be the starter before the end of the year and it won't be due to injury to Henne. I'm willing to do a sig bet with anybody who thinks otherwise.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Quote:I wish they had brought in Sanchez because he is better and more exciting than Henne imo.

Agreed. Those butt fumbles are riveting.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Week 4 at the latest

He will start games this year. If his debut is in London I will be pissed.

Sitting for half the season will certainly help him in the longrun. I don't want to get too ahead of myself here but I think this might be our best shot at a "tom brady" or "peyton manning" type QB. Lets not throw him into the fire of a terrible Oline.

Sitting him will only degrade his progress. You need reps and time in games to improve and become comfortable with game speed and build timing with your receivers. Blake has shown that he can handle the speed of playing with the ones and play at a higher level then Henne. Having him sit on the bench for a year and take reps with the scout team would be the most ridiculous decision ever made by a head coach! You can't preach competition and the best player plays and continue to follow the predetermined plan with Blake. he will start by third game but it might very well be with a record of 0 and 3. I truly believe if he started game one

we would have a shot at the division and or a wild card chance. It's time for Kahn to sit down with Caldwell and Bradley and have them explain why they are sitting this kid when Jaguar fans have suffered so long with bad decisions. 

Quote:Sitting for half the season will certainly help him in the longrun. I don't want to get too ahead of myself here but I think this might be our best shot at a "tom brady" or "peyton manning" type QB. Lets not throw him into the fire of a terrible Oline.

Help him how? By watching Henne do what he shouldn't do?
;

;

only thing he can learn from henne is how not to be a starting qb. he won't get any reps or should i say very very few with 2nd and 3rd team in practice. which basically means, almost zero progress in actually playing. we have to sit here and watch an inferior product when it's obvious we have something better. we just saw him go against first team defense in a 2 minute drill. except 1 throw, he looked great to me. he has shown again and again that he is ready to play. nothing about him says playing him will regress him. sitting him will only stunt his on the field growth until he gets to play with the 1's. this is a stupid stupid call.