Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I know that Bortles is superior to Henne, but I still don't want him starting in 2014

When he was on he looked really really good.. when he was off he was very fortunate to get away with some of those throws but it's all a learning experience and I full expect him to continue to improve.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014, 12:24 PM by The Mad Dog.)

I don't think it will be necessary to sit him the entire year, nor did I really expect that to ultimately happen. 

Initially I always assumed that after the bye week Bortles would be inserted into the starting lineup....

I'm guessing that timetable is moving up, and that Bortles will start by week 3, the home opener vs the Colts. 

Give him a little time to learn the playbook.  Get everything down.  (If this were the old playbook, it'd take a maximum of an hour and a half to learn all 4 plays).  Once he does, I think he could get the nod.  At least I hope he does.  

Also give the O-line a little time to improve (It'd be nice if we could find a nice pick-up for the o-line somewhere), and the rookie WR's time to start clicking.  

We can't worry about injury.  You'd never play your QB if you worried about injury. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I haven't been this excited about our team since the playoff win in Pittsburgh.

I can understand both sides to this argument.

But id much rather c blake starting

Quote:Sitting for half the season will certainly help him in the longrun. I don't want to get too ahead of myself here but I think this might be our best shot at a "tom brady" or "peyton manning" type QB. Lets not throw him into the fire of a terrible Oline.

Despite all who disagree, I'm with you. If there's even a shot at elite, I'll be patient. If the guys who drafted him after everyone said he was over drafted thinks this is the best way to handle this, I'm on board. Screw Gabbert starting right away and having little success and screw Andrew Luck starting right away and having a lot of success. I don't care about them. If we can maximize potential by ironing out kinks, let the iron heat up for 8 weeks. All I know is they've put together a plan to have him grow, and from that plan he's grown from UCF to the NFL in a short amount of time. Maybe that a testament to the plan. Three things I want to paraphrase

"The plan is to sit Bortles this season" -Dave

"Chad Henne is our week one starter" - Gus

"It's a perfect situation to learn" -Blake Bortles

That's all I need to know.

Quote:Despite all who disagree, I'm with you. If there's even a shot at elite, I'll be patient. If the guys who drafted him after everyone said he was over drafted thinks this is the best way to handle this, I'm on board. Screw Gabbert starting right away and having little success and screw Andrew Luck starting right away and having a lot of success. I don't care about them. If we can maximize potential by ironing out kinks, let the iron heat up for 8 weeks. All I know is they've put together a plan to have him grow, and from that plan he's grown from UCF to the NFL in a short amount of time. Maybe that a testament to the plan. Three things I want to paraphrase

"The plan is to sit Bortles this season" -Dave

"Chad Henne is our week one starter" - Gus

"It's a perfect situation to learn" -Blake Bortles

That's all I need to know.

/and that is all that matters 

Quote:Give him a little time to learn the playbook.  Get everything down.  (If this were the old playbook, it'd take a maximum of an hour and a half to learn all 4 plays).  Once he does, I think he could get the nod.  At least I hope he does.  

Also give the O-line a little time to improve (It'd be nice if we could find a nice pick-up for the o-line somewhere), and the rookie WR's time to start clicking.  

We can't worry about injury.  You'd never play your QB if you worried about injury. 

I think he knows the playbook pretty decently.  He checked into the TD throw to Hurns.  He's ready.  Play him.

looks like he knows the playbook to me. not once did it ook like he didn't know where the receivers would be. he throws an accurate ball, and throws very few bad balls, really only like 1 or 2 if that. with that said, brady and manning, throw bad balls at times. so, what he did was acceptable, especially considering he's a rookie. even when he throws off his back foot it's a good ball. there is no legit reason to sit him that has anything to do with his play. the rest that he needs to learn can really only be learned from playing.

Unlike a lot of the folks on here, I don't think Henne starting means a winless season. With that said, if we are destined to go around 8-8 regardless, let's do it while the kid is getting some experience. Count me among the "start Bortles" converts.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.