Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is Special

To quote one of ESPN's commentators, "He looks like a wily veteran" 

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Bortles looks like he could become a better passer than Roethlisberger, actually. 

The impressive thing about Blake so far is that he's been remarkably consistent with the high YPA every game. Over 9.0 in every game so far. He's not afraid to go downfield and do so consistently. I just pray the coaches continue to allow him to do this and don't neuter him into a game manager. 

This is the kind of QB I have been asking for for years. And why I bashed just about every QB we've brought in since Brunell. Leftwich was seen as a downfield passer by some, but his YPA flat out sucked. 

This is something you pointed out a couple of years ago when the discussion was Blaine Gabbert, and you were right.  The most telling statistic when evaluating a QB is yards per attempt.  Total yards passing divided by total attempts.   Bortles is the most aggressive downfield thrower we've had in a long long time, maybe since Mark Brunell.  And there are no fluky plays to inflate his YPA stat, either.   No screen pass that went 80 yards, nothing like that. 

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...blogs&_r=0

“To put it most simply, passing yards per attempt is the single most important indicator of success in all of football. The short version is this:

* Teams that win the passing YPA battle almost always win the game.

* Teams that lose the passing YPA battle almost always lose the game.

* The winningest teams in history are typically the teams with the best passing YPA average.

* The winningest quarterbacks in history are typically the quarterbacks with the best passing YPA average.”

Like you, I have also noticed throughout the preseason, Bortles has been averaging close to 9 YPA, which is pretty high.  

TMD has backed off YPA as it doesn't fit his Andrew Luck agenda

He's got it.

The sooner he starts, the better.

Trying not to give in to hyperbole but he's the best looking rookie qb in preseason that I've seen in a long time.

Imo he's already better than Henne. But the Jags would be smart to take it slow.

Quote:This is something you pointed out a couple of years ago when the discussion was Blaine Gabbert, and you were right. The most telling statistic when evaluating a QB is yards per attempt. Total yards passing divided by total attempts. Bortles is the most aggressive downfield thrower we've had in a long long time, maybe since Mark Brunell. And there are no fluky plays to inflate his YPA stat, either. No screen pass that went 80 yards, nothing like that.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/the-importance-of-passing-yards-per-attempt/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0'>http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/the-importance-of-passing-yards-per-attempt/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0</a>

“To put it most simply, passing yards per attempt is the single most important indicator of success in all of football. The short version is this:

* Teams that win the passing YPA battle almost always win the game.

* Teams that lose the passing YPA battle almost always lose the game.

* The winningest teams in history are typically the teams with the best passing YPA average.

* The winningest quarterbacks in history are typically the quarterbacks with the best passing YPA average.”

Like you, I have also noticed throughout the preseason, Bortles has been averaging close to 9 YPA, which is pretty high.

He's averaging nearly 10 YPA in his 44 attempts. That's over 3 yards more than Henne...3 yards! Not starting him now is simply wasting time IMO. He is ready and his play and attitude show it.

Quote:Trying not to give in to hyperbole but he's the best looking rookie qb in preseason that I've seen in a long time.

Imo he's already better than Henne. But the Jags would be smart to take it slow.

He was the best QB on the roster the second he was drafted.

Its hard not to get overly excited.  The guy has looked great.  He has really only had a few bad plays or throws here or there but most QBs do.  And considering he is a rookie it's even more impressive.  

His arm has been much better than I thought.  And thats with him looking somewhat flat footed at times when throwing.  He doesnt shrink in the face of pressure.  He can adlib a little... like the pass last night where the play was going to the right, he juked the defender, and then threw back to Todman.  

I'm still okay with Henne getting the start week 1 because I really dont have high hopes for the season.  I'm just hoping for some games in December where we still have legitimate wild cards hopes... only 1 or 2 games back.  But if we get off to a slow start... 0-3, 0-4, I'd be stunned if Bortles doesnt play.  The game doesnt look too big for him.  And he doesnt look like the kind of guy who would be ruined or set back in his development by playing early.

Quote:TMD has backed off YPA as it doesn't fit his Andrew Luck agenda

Actually no I have not. YPA is still the most important QB stat.

Andrew Luck for some reason doesn't have the high YPA over the first 2 seasons, but if you actually watch him play he aggressively does throw downfield on a consistent basis. Andrew Luck is somewhat of an outlier/ anomaly here. 

Maybe it suggests (if it should continue in the regular season) that Bortles indeed will be better than Luck. I'm just not ready to make that declaration before he throws one single pass in the regular season. 

I say keep Henne as the starter so he can be the crash test dummy until the O line get's its problems fixed.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014, 10:25 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I say keep Henne as the starter so he can be the crash test dummy until the O line get's its problems fixed.

I guarantee you that the OL instability right now is part of the equation why Bortles isn't starting YET.

If they can even get a couple weeks of a stable OL lineup and steady play, I think it will move closer to a Bortles insertion into the lineup. 

If I had to guess - Bortles could start as soon as week 3 vs the Colts. (the home opener) if the current OL Joeckel/ Beadles/ Bowanko/ Linder/ Bradfield can tighten up a bit. 

Quote:I guarantee you that the OL instability right now is part of the equation why Bortles isn't starting YET.

If they can even get a couple weeks of a stable OL lineup and steady play, I think it will move closer to a Bortles insertion into the lineup. 

If I had to guess - Bortles could start as soon as week 3 vs the Colts. (the home opener) if the current OL Joeckel/ Beadles/ Bowanko/ Linder/ Bradfield can tighten up a bit. 

I think that will be the starting OL.  They need to get some time together and tighten things up.   It takes time for an offensive line to get coordinated together.  

And I agree, it will be week 3, our first home game, against the Colts, when Blake starts.