Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I know the feeling is to temper expectations but I'm not. Bortles will play well against Detroit.

I'd like to see Bortles challenged and I think non will be tougher than Detriot's D. Much respect for them and I hope Bortles stays healthy. It will also be a good test for our defense which appears to be much improved.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If Detroit runs the same defense they've run in the preseason then Bortles better do well considering how vanilla it has been.

Quote:You don't enjoy watching Stafford throwing up a lob praying Calvin Johnson bails him out for the umpteenth time?

This is a c'mon fallacy, there are many QBs out there that favor their #1 WR more than Stafford does Calvin. But who wouldn't enjoy watching Megatron out leap 3 defenders and catch a 60 yard pass from Staffords cannon?

"If Detroit runs the same defense they've run in the preseason then Bortles better do well considering how vanilla it has been."

It's only been vanilla when the backups are playing, the first string guys against the Raiders last week brought it.  Even the Lions second string players played well, it wasn't long before they had to drag Carr off the field in pain.

"You better pray Cyprien and Guy doesn't light them up going across the middle."

Tate was the shiftiest WR in the league last year, he can take care of himself. And Megatron... how do you hurt somebody that isn't human?

Any who, in all seriousness, I hope we all just enjoy watching a good game. It is the preseason after all, when football is getting back into the swing of things, and I haven't talked any trash yet this season, figured I would give it a shot. My team does share a division with the Bears and Packers, and both those fan bases love to troll, especially the Bears. You're guys' team is on the up and up, and I hope you found yourselves a franchise QB, they are so hard to find for teams, I never root against rookie QBs. I see you guys as a 7-9, or an 8-8 team this year if your coaches keep your players playing one game at a time. Then next year, I can see you starting to get into contention. Here's to hoping that nobody gets injured tomorrow, cheers.

If you have any questions about the Lions I'll be happy to answer, I know the team pretty much inside and out, and I'm sure most of you do when it comes to the Jags.

Quote:Any who, in all seriousness, I hope we all just enjoy watching a good game. It is the preseason after all, when football is getting back into the swing of things, and I haven't talked any trash yet this season, figured I would give it a shot. My team does share a division with the Bears and Packers, and both those fan bases love to troll, especially the Bears. You're guys' team is on the up and up, and I hope you found yourselves a franchise QB, they are so hard to find for teams, I never root against rookie QBs. I see you guys as a 7-9, or an 8-8 team this year if your coaches keep your players playing one game at a time. Then next year, I can see you starting to get into contention. Here's to hoping that nobody gets injured tomorrow, cheers.

If you have any questions about the Lions I'll be happy to answer, I know the team pretty much inside and out, and I'm sure most of you do when it comes to the Jags.
thanks man for being cool. Nice to see we are finally getting some recogniton outside of Jax. Almost went to the Jax/Det game being that I live in Indy but just couldn't afford it.. anyways what do you think of Joique Bell? he's on my fantasy team.

Quote:thanks man for being cool. Nice to see we are finally getting some recogniton outside of Jax. Almost went to the Jax/Det game being that I live in Indy but just couldn't afford it.. anyways what do you think of Joique Bell? he's on my fantasy team.

I definitely see you guys being a better team than the last couple years, no doubt. You guys had a ridiculous amount of cap space earlier in the year, how much do you have left? I think Joique will play a decent bit more than last year, with Reggie Bush getting used less. He has looked really good during camp, and whatever his stats were last year, I feel safe in saying he will definitely produce more this year, the coaches here pretty much said as much. You can also always count on him to give 100% effort all game every game, and he will probably be used more in goal line situations this year, so a lot more TDs.

Quote:You better pray Cyprien and Guy doesn't light them up going across the middle.

It's nice to have good players in the secondary.

Quote:It's nice to have good players in the secondary.

I agree, but lets see if the NFL and the refs allow them to touch anybody without getting some kind of penalty

Quote:I agree, but lets see if the NFL and the refs allow them to touch anybody without getting some kind of penalty
I hope.. I can't stand all these penalties but I don't think they will be that bad during the regular season. Also, thanks for the info on Bell.

Quote:I hope.. I can't stand all these penalties but I don't think they will be that bad during the regular season. Also, thanks for the info on Bell.

NP. When it comes to the penalties, I know everybody expects they will decrease, but the NFL came out a couple days ago and said specifically they don't expect them too, and the refs will be calling things as tight in the regular season as it is now. I know the NFL has been wanting to create more high scoring games, I just hope they don't start taking defense away completely from the game.

Quote:NP. When it comes to the penalties, I know everybody expects they will decrease, but the NFL came out a couple days ago and said specifically they don't expect them too, and the refs will be calling things as tight in the regular season as it is now. I know the NFL has been wanting to create more high scoring games, I just hope they don't start taking defense away completely from the game.
It will ruin it for me.

Quote:Obviously the Lions had a bad stretch of the Millen years, but the whoppin we put on last thanksgiving will be the new norm. But the state of our respective teams, nor the past, is what I wanted to comment on. I am not even sure the Lions will win tomorrow, perhaps your team will be like the Raiders and put your starters back in to play the 4th quarter against our 4th string guys, to ensure the victory. What I am saying is, I wouldn't let Bortles play against the Lions first team, and don't be surprised when Megatron and Golden Tate light you up for 300 yards in the first half.

Us Jags fans know all about having a bad GM and missing on draft pick after draft pick. At least Millen did draft some talent for the Lions, unlike our GM Gene Smith.

What are your expectations for the Lions this year??

The Lions could actually increase their win total if they were just a more disciplined team. That team has been one of the most undisciplined teams in the entire NFL over the last several seasons.

I would expect that to change with your new head coach JC.

Looking forward to Friday night.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Nobody is scared of the Lions

Quote:Nobody is scared of the Lions
I hope our LB's feel the same way... They got ate up last week.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:You don't know much about the Lions Dline then, or back 7 in general.

I would like to see you guys have a decent QB for a change. It is a honest suggestion, and i hope Bortles doesn't play while the first team is on the field. If he is on the field, with a little luck the defense will play extremely vanila and save everything for the start of the regular season. If you have any hardcore Bortles lovers here who want him to get the start week one, put Henne in against us.

Fairly got benched by CJ mosley. i have seen that guy play a lot, and its pretty sad he benched a top 15 pick. Ziggy is still raw. They arent that good besides Suh, who is leaving after this year.

Quote:Fairly got benched by CJ mosley. i have seen that guy play a lot, and its pretty sad he benched a top 15 pick. Ziggy is still raw. They arent that good besides Suh, who is leaving after this year.
Fairley got benched for motivation not because of play. 

Quote:Nobody is scared of the Lions

Having a concern about Detroits strength i.e. the middle of their D-line, going up against our weakness i.e. interior OL, when we have a prized rookie QB to make sure stays unbroken is not being "scared"...its being smart. 

Quote:I loved this kid coming out of college and was certain it would be either Teddy or Bortles, especially after it was clear Clowney would be going 1st overall. With that said I think we may have gotten the steal of the draft. Bortles not only looks the part but from I have seen he plays the part. I already believe Bortles is a better QB right now than Henne. I think he will show us the same stuff he showed us the first two preseason games, in that he is a natural fit at the position, he's saavy, and has the utmost confidence in his ability to play.

Bortles will have a good game and will continue to wow us.

He'll give the coaches an even harder task regarding who starts day one. 

No tempering expectations from me. 

He's no Gabbert.

Go Jags. 
Is that really suprising I mean think about it, Henne was Blaine Gabbert's back up, and well we all know how good Blaine was /is...

Quote:Having a concern about Detroits strength i.e. the middle of their D-line, going up against our weakness i.e. interior OL, when we have a prized rookie QB to make sure stays unbroken is not being "scared"...its being smart. 
I think Brewster & Linder will hold up the fort enough to not get Blake killed (Plus Blake can run out of the way).

Quote:Having a concern about Detroits strength i.e. the middle of their D-line, going up against our weakness i.e. interior OL, when we have a prized rookie QB to make sure stays unbroken is not being "scared"...its being smart. 

I suspect the first few plays of Bortles being in will be runs, screens, and on the run passes on the outside. Get those big boys runnin' and tire em' out before having Bortles sit in front of the pain train.

Quote:I think Brewster & Linder will hold up the fort enough to not get Blake killed (Plus Blake can run out of the way).

Im not as optimistic about that as you are but I really hope that ends up being the case.