Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What are your feeling on the word Redskins?
Male and Offended
Male and Not Offended
Female and Offended
Female and Not Offended
Transgender and Offended
Transgender and Not Offended
[Show Results]

Are you Offended

Does the word "Redskins" offend you? Express yourself.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I prefer Wagon Burners
Blakes Life Matters

This post offends me.

Huh

Redskins no. I might take offense with Hot Magentaskins though........Because..damn that color is fugly.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

It doesn't bother me, but then again I'm not an American Indian so my opinion doesn't hold as much water.

I actually heard Jeff Lageman tell a story on the radio.  He was a Redskin fan growing up.  He went to an indian tribes reservation (can't remember the specific one) every year for a football camp.  They knew he was a Redskin fan growing up and that he played in the NFL.  He said they had no problem with it and he was very close to them and that he didn't understand why now, some American Indians had an issue with the name.

I would be interested to see a poll of American Indians to see how the split is.  I have a feeling I know how the poll would turn out.

I'm offended by the way some are willing to pander to a small but vocal group that finds a word offensive. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I am not offended. 

The word is not intended to be offensive, so at that point, the offended parties can just decide that they are not offended, and the whole controversy would be over.  It's their decision to be offended or not.  

To ask a team and thousands of fans to give up the team nickname after a hundred years, just because a few people are offended, when the name was obviously never intended to be offensive, is way too much to ask.  

Welcome to the NEW America. Land of the sensitive, protesters, and sue happy people

I want to know who the transgendered and offended are! :thumbsup:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Ok. NOW I know why my suggestion back in 95 for the new Jacksonville NFL team failed.

I pictured a [BLEEP] Samurai with a sword, and the name Jacksonville Japs.

How about the Caucasian Bombers with the Enola Gay logo? Then the gay community was offended, and Hiroshima would never let us play a game there ( so they chose London )

Hey..how about appeasing the offended Native Americans? Custers Caucasians. 

Perhaps we should focus on the thickness of our skin as well as color.

The Washington Multi Cultural Nice Guys...there...thats it

Blakes Life Matters

3/15 people here are transgender apparently

Quote:3/15 people here are transgender apparently
I've suspected as much about a few here. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hmmm.... don't we have 3 colts fans on the board?   

I'm offended by people being offended.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I'm offended by people being offended.
That's offensive.

I voted transgender offended.

Only because it was an option.

Really male not offended.

Next time just use offended or not offended.

The number of times I've used the term Redskin as an insult: 0

The number of time I've ever heard the term Redskin used as an insult: 0

excepting, of course, references to the football team Smile

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:I voted transgender offended.

Only because it was an option.

Really male not offended.

Next time just use offended or not offended.
But this is a scientific poll, isn't it?  So, we need to know how the genders, even the gender benders think, right?

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/true-redskins-meaning

"...But “redskins” is not just a twisted compliment, like “Savages,” “Warriors,” “Braves” or “Red Men.” It represents a trophy of war—the bloody scalp of a murdered Native American, slaughtered for money, the amount dependent on whether it was a man, woman or child.

<p class="">The team has had the Redskins name since 1933, when it was based in Boston, so it’s easy to say, “We’ve always done it this way.” But if America “always did it this way,” then terms like “Wetback,” “Negro,” and its much uglier cousin would still be a part of our lexicon. We learn..."

Quote:http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/true-redskins-meaning

"...But “redskins” is not just a twisted compliment, like “Savages,” “Warriors,” “Braves” or “Red Men.” It represents a trophy of war—the bloody scalp of a murdered Native American, slaughtered for money, the amount dependent on whether it was a man, woman or child.

The team has had the Redskins name since 1933, when it was based in Boston, so it’s easy to say, “We’ve always done it this way.” But if America “always did it this way,” then terms like “Wetback,” “Negro,” and its much uglier cousin would still be a part of our lexicon. We learn..."

I've never heard the word used outside the context of the NFL team.  I think that's where a lot of people are at,  and that makes the word somewhat unique.   

But let me get this straight, they basically chose to name themselves what translates to the Washington Scalps?  But why?