Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What are your feeling on the word Redskins?
Male and Offended
Male and Not Offended
Female and Offended
Female and Not Offended
Transgender and Offended
Transgender and Not Offended
[Show Results]

Are you Offended

Quote:I've never heard the word used outside the context of the NFL team.  I think that's where a lot of people are at,  and that makes the word somewhat unique.   

But let me get this straight, they basically chose to name themselves what translates to the Washington Scalps?  But why?  
Sponsorship!  Think of all the shampoo companies that could benefit from such exposure. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Mike Ditka thinks the entire subject is stupid.  Meanwhile, Tony Dungy and Phil Simms have said they won't use the word Redskins during broadcasts. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I wonder if it would help if they changed their logo kept their logo as Mike Shanahan.

[Image: MikeShanahan.jpg]

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I voted male and offended. Not because I'm offended, but because it's not up to me. If they were called Washington Yellowskins, then I would be. However, they aren't. If it is offensive to Native Americans, then it's offensive and should be changed. I am baffled by how long it took to be an issue if it is truly offensive. But it's not up to me or because of me (not Native American). Anybody who speaks on their behalf when it doesn't apply to you shouldn't matter. I don't matter on this and am fine with it. Plus I'm not a fan of the 'skins. So changing the name is completely fine with me.

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

I'm male and not offended about the Redskins name. 

However, I am offended that the number of females on this board apparently is less than the number of transgenders... Wallbash 

California Angels... Atheists offended

Braves...the meek are offended

Chiefs.... The squaws are offended

Indians... The AOL support team are offended

Blackhawks... Racist

Yankees.... Rebels offended

Texans... The US offended

Cowboys.... Indians ( again ) offended

Patriots... Radicals insulted

Eagles,Dolphins,Colts,Falcons....PETA insulted

For Washington? Change it to the Washington Wasps."....Warm and Sensistive Players
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Mike Ditka thinks the entire subject is stupid.  Meanwhile, Tony Dungy and Phil Simms have said they won't use the word Redskins during broadcasts.

Right on, Mike! :thumbsup: 

LOL @ faux outrage by Phil Simms & Dungy. 

If they would just rename the team Rhedskins.

Quote:I'm male and not offended about the Redskins name. 

However, I am offended that the number of females on this board apparently is less than the number of transgenders... Wallbash

Makes you wonder about us now...don't it? :whistling:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:California Angels... Atheists offended

Braves...the meek are offended

Chiefs.... The squaws are offended

Indians... The AOL support team are offended

Blackhawks... Racist

Yankees.... Rebels offended

Texans... The US offended

Cowboys.... Indians ( again ) offended

Patriots... Radicals insulted

Eagles,Dolphins,Colts,Falcons....PETA insulted

For Washington? Change it to the Washington Wasps."....Warm and Sensistive Players

Yeah...but then all the Protestant yuppies would be disappointed!!

I like how people say "Native Americans" are offended.  How many?  1%?  10%?

Huh

Quote:Makes you wonder about us now...don't it? :whistling:

Sick 

...not until you just said that Sick Ninja 

Quote:Sick 

...not until you just said that Sick Ninja

I'm just here to help!! Big Grin

Quote:I wonder if it would help if they changed their logo kept their logo as Mike Shanahan.

[Image: MikeShanahan.jpg]

Wow!!! His skin really looks red in that picture.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:I like how people say "Native Americans" are offended.  How many?  1%?  10%?

I am a Native from some where and I am an American, so that kind of makes me a Native American, but I am NOT an offended Native American.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Polling what I assume is a 99-100% non Native American population whether a term without any personal significance to them is offensive to prove a point is absolutely ridiculous, IMO.

Love how people are all of a sudden becoming offended by this name. The Dungy and Dimms of the world had no problem using it 10 years ago.

I'm OK with Redskins, but I am offended by Bill Belichick wearing a sweatshirt with cut-off sleeves.

Actually, when I think about it, it's not just the sweatshirt; everything about him offends me.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Love how people are all of a sudden becoming offended by this name. The Dungy and Dimms of the world had no problem using it 10 years ago.

Yep....thats why I said "faux" outrage. 

Quote:It doesn't bother me, but then again I'm not an American Indian so my opinion doesn't hold as much water.

I actually heard Jeff Lageman tell a story on the radio.  He was a Redskin fan growing up.  He went to an indian tribes reservation (can't remember the specific one) every year for a football camp.  They knew he was a Redskin fan growing up and that he played in the NFL.  He said they had no problem with it and he was very close to them and that he didn't understand why now, some American Indians had an issue with the name.

I would be interested to see a poll of American Indians to see how the split is.  I have a feeling I know how the poll would turn out.
There are many statistics that back the fact that The vast majority of native Americans are not offended at all, and actually like the name.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"