Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Former Jaguars LB Tim Shaw annouces he has ALS

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...e-has-als/

Horrible and shocking news.   I hope the day will come soon that there's a cure for ALS.

I don't have any specific recall of Tim Shaw with the Jaguars other than him contributing to their Special Teams.   What stood out for me when watching Shaw with the Bears was the tremendous / differential Special Teams play he provided.    

My best to Tim Shaw and his family in these extremely difficult times for them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just awful news. ALS is one of the worst things you can imagine. I wish him the best.
;

;

OK, just making an observation here.  Here me out.  I know I've heard of ALS before.  But I simply couldn't remember what it was.  So I wondered why have I seen all these bucket challenges recently but I still have no clue what it actually is.  I purposely didn't google it, thinking that at some point someone would inform me in what it actually was.  Nothing. Watched several more bucket challenges showing up on my social media.  Nothing. Not even in this posted article is it mentioned what it is or what it stood for or what it was.  I know this is the google age, but just seems a bit weird to raise awareness of something by never mentioning what it is you are raising awareness of.  

Quote:OK, just making an observation here.  Here me out.  I know I've heard of ALS before.  But I simply couldn't remember what it was.  So I wondered why have I seen all these bucket challenges recently but I still have no clue what it actually is.  I purposely didn't google it, thinking that at some point someone would inform me in what it actually was.  Nothing. Watched several more bucket challenges showing up on my social media.  Nothing. Not even in this posted article is it mentioned what it is or what it stood for or what it was.  I know this is the google age, but just seems a bit weird to raise awareness of something by never mentioning what it is you are raising awareness of.  

ALS is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.   This is the disease that eventually claimed the life of the HOF all time great Yankees player.   Basically,   the mind stays sharp but you gradually lose your body functions.   Tom Coughlin is very active in fighting this disease,   as he had a strong friendship with a person who had ALS during Coughlin's time as Jaguars Head Coach.  

Note to one of the moderators.   If you can correct the spelling of the word announces in the Title of this thread,  it certainly would be appreciated.

There has been some speculation that concussions may be tied to the incidence of getting ALS. Not sure what the studies show, and I'm sure much more research needs to be done.

But think of ALS the next time you want to rant about the NFL getting soft and going too far to prevent head injuries - as ALS is about the worst thing I would wish on anyone.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:OK, just making an observation here.  Here me out.  I know I've heard of ALS before.  But I simply couldn't remember what it was.  So I wondered why have I seen all these bucket challenges recently but I still have no clue what it actually is.  I purposely didn't google it, thinking that at some point someone would inform me in what it actually was.  Nothing. Watched several more bucket challenges showing up on my social media.  Nothing. Not even in this posted article is it mentioned what it is or what it stood for or what it was.  I know this is the google age, but just seems a bit weird to raise awareness of something by never mentioning what it is you are raising awareness of.

It is also what Stephen Hawking is suffering from.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

It basially robs you of being able to move your body. But you still have a fully functioning brain. Imagine that.

This is a sad story.  ALS is such a devastating diagnosis.  Thoughts and prayers go out to Shaw and his family for the battle he's got ahead of him. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:It is also what Stephen Hawking is suffering from.
Hawking has bucked the trend for those afflicted with this disease by living with it for decades.  The life expectancy from diagnosis is usually 2-5 years.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hawking is such a stunning case. Part of it is that he has 24 hour care and access to the best doctors in the world. But to live with the disease for over 50 years is incredible no matter what health care you have access to.

;

;

The hardest part about this is seeing him in his current state knowing what his future holds.

What kind of research are they doing these days anyway? Is ALS really "reversible", or are most clinical trials just trying to slow down progression of the disease?

Quote:Hawking has bucked the trend for those afflicted with this disease by living with it for decades. The life expectancy from diagnosis is usually 2-5 years.

Its amazing what money can do huh?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Its amazing what money can do huh?

It's not all about the money.  There are many wealthy people who have failed to exceed the average life expectancy.