Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Possible pickups from Seahawks cuts.

Bob Condotta had an article in The Seattle Times where he tries to predict the Seahawks final roster.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/20...ksxml.html

I noticed there was a long thread about Dewayne Gratz after watching his performance in the last pre-season game.  Although CBs take a long time to groom in this system, there are a few players I am sure the Jaguars will look at.  Per Condotta:

Quote: 

<b>CORNERBACK</b>

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Keep: Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, Jeremy Lane, Tharold Simon

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Cut: A.J. Jefferson, Akeem Auguste, Thomas Wolfe, Phillip Adams, Michael Dobson

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Comment: Shead can also play cornerback --- he was essentially the team’s fifth cornerback at the end of last season, which allowed the Seahawks to get away with eight defensive backs through the post-season. Jefferson appeared to be making a real run at a spot before suffering an ankle injury. If they go with five cornerbacks, he’s probably it, depending on his health. Adams also is intriguing, capable of being a backup nickel. Eric Pinkins is on the PUP list.

I think A.J. Jefferson was in the wrong system in San Diego and was a much better fit as a press corner in Seattle.  However, the numbers are against him here.  Simon is a clone of Richard Sherman and Jeremy Lane is firmly entrenched as the Nickel.  Akeem Auguste is freakishly athletic and might be a good fit the Jags.  Maybe Phillip Adams.  He's a bit more polished.

Quote: 

<b>DEFENSIVE LINE</b>

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Keep: Tony McDaniel, Brandon Mebane, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Jordan Hill, Kevin Williams, Cassius Marsh, O’Brien Schofield, D’Anthony Smith, Greg Scruggs

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Cut: Michael Brooks, Andru Pulu, Jimmy Staten, Benson Mayowa

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Comment: The toughest call here was Mayowa, whose potential compelled the team to keep him on the 53-man roster all last season. Schofield, though, appears to have moved ahead of him in the battle for a backup rush end spot. Keeping Smith is another tough call. But he gives some needed depth inside.

If Benson Mayowa gets cut, I will be very upset.  I would love to see him end up in Jacksonville as a LEO in Gus Bradley's system.  Unfortunately, because of Bruce Irvin, there is nowhere to stash him on the roster if he gets beat out by O'Brien Schofield.  Schofield is playing out of his mind!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Does Seattle have any centers that they don't need?

We actually seem to be set at the LEO position, with Clemons, Branch, David, and the rookie Smith.

Our defense will be fine. I honestly don't see us picking many people up from Seattle, simply because we need offensive lineman more than anything, which is basically what Seattle also needs.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Stephen Schilling has been taking a lot of reps at Center.  They like him so much that they have been playing Lemuel Jean-Pierre (known as The Mule because he's the strongest player in the weight room) at Guard.  So, maybe.

Quote: 

<b>OFFENSIVE LINE</b>

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Keep: Russell Okung, Max Unger, J.R. Sweezy, Alvin Bailey, James Carpenter, Justin Britt, Lemuel Jeanpierre, Caylin Hauptmann, Eric Winston, Stephen Schilling

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Cut: Cory Brandon, C.J. Davis, Greg Van Roten, Nate Isles, Gary Gilliam, Wade Smith

<p style="color:rgb(48,48,48);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Comment: The Seahawks could keep just nine to ease the crunch elsewhere. But keeping 10 allows for both Schilling and Winston, the latter adding veteran depth at the tackle spot that is otherwise a little light on experience after Okung.

I think Condotta is wrong about Gary Gilliam.  Gilliam is a Tom Cable project as a converted Tight End.  I think he makes it on his agility at Right Tackle.

Thank you for posting. I'm glad to hear Smith might stick with you. He had to come back from some nasty injuries.

Quote:Thank you for posting. I'm glad to hear Smith might stick with you. He had to come back from some nasty injuries.

It's looking that way for Smith.  Jesse Williams went on injured reserve and that opened up a spot for him.

D'Anthony Smith as a keep. Interesting how he and Brandon Marshall (the linebacker from Nevada) have managed to stick with two good teams.
;

;

Quote:We actually seem to be set at the LEO position, with Clemons, Branch, David, and the rookie Smith.

Our defense will be fine. I honestly don't see us picking many people up from Seattle, simply because we need offensive lineman more than anything, which is basically what Seattle also needs.

I've seen very little from Branch this preseason to think we are "set" at LEO.  We have numbers there but Clemons is the only one looking like he'll come anywhere close to double digit sacks, IMO. 

I agree that defense isn't much of a concern in comparison to the O-line. 

No defensive lineman last year had more than 600 snaps for the Seahawks.  They played a heavy rotation to keep everyone fresh.  Here is an article on it.

Quote: 

<p class="" style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;">1. A deep rotation inoculates the team against one single injury. Losing 500 snaps to a season-ending surgery is not the same as losing 800.

<p class="" style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;">2. Each Seahawk is less likely to get injured in any given season than his divisional counterpart who's logging 800-plus snaps.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analy...e-rotation

I would expect Gus Bradley to try the same thing.

It's already been implemented. 

They've been talking about that (frequent rotation) in Jax since May.  Our D-line is deeper than it's been in years. Rotation and fresh pass-rushers have been buzzwords from (line coach) Wash and Bradley. 

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...sm-jaguars

I'm loving how I get to relive this.

While the following doesn't apply to the Seahawks,  it relates to the CB position that was mentioned in the OP.  It does apply to Jaguars DB Coach Dewayne Walker and team's upcoming pre-season game in Detroit.  

Lions CB Jonte Green played for Walker at New Mexico St.   Green was a 6th Round pick by the Lions in 2012 and was on the Lions roster the last two seasons.   Green started a number of games for the Lions and had the type of height and speed combo ( 6-0', 4.41 40 ) that could appeal to the Jaguars.   Green started off training camp this summer well but has fallen on the depth chart if the pre-season games are an indication.    Green struggled in Oakland the other night.   The greater emphasis on illegal contact and Defensive Holding seems to be adversely affecting Green.   Right now,  he probably wouldn't make the 53 man roster  but of course so much can change in the next 10 days.  If Green is cut,   it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ended up on the Jaguars roster at some point this season or next off season.    Coaches like familiarity.     Green wears jersey # 36.   

Memo to the mods.   If you feel that this post is a better fit in one of the threads that relates to the Jaguars- Lions pre-season game,  just let me know and I'll gladly post it there instead.   

It's really hard to evaluate corner backs right now because of all this illegal contact non-sense that's going on, so thanks for putting Jonte Green on my radar.

My pleasure,  palatypus.   Welcome to the Message Board!

A key question all of us are probably asking is whether the NFL will continue to tell the officials to call illegal contact and Defensive Holding as closely as they are in the pre-season,   once the regular season begins?   My guess is the league won't because the TV networks will want better flow to the games than we are seeing in the pre-season.    These pre-season games are lasting forever,  it seems. 

Branch has looked pretty mediocre in preseason thus far. Solid in the running game but a non-existent pass rush unlike the end of last year.

No pain, no gain.

I would really be surprised if they added a corner. Even if they just stash Colvin on IR all year they still have Gratz, Blackmon, Ball, McCray, the two Harris' and Fleming. All of them have played well so far this preseason.

How good are you all expecting Colvin to be? Just curious

Quote:How good are you all expecting Colvin to be? Just curious

It all depends on his recovery from his ACL injury. But he was considered a 1-2 round prospect before his injury. I doubt he plays this year but could be a starter in the future.

Quote:...

If Benson Mayowa gets cut, I will be very upset.  I would love to see him end up in Jacksonville as a LEO in Gus Bradley's system.  Unfortunately, because of Bruce Irvin, there is nowhere to stash him on the roster if he gets beat out by O'Brien Schofield.  Schofield is playing out of his mind!

I was impressed with Schofield back in his Wisconsin days and thought that JAX might have a shot at him since he suffered that ACL injury in his Senior season. Y'all are gonna love him.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!