Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Possible pickups from Seahawks cuts.

Quote:My pleasure,  palatypus.   Welcome to the Message Board!

A key question all of us are probably asking is whether the NFL will continue to tell the officials to call illegal contact and Defensive Holding as closely as they are in the pre-season,   once the regular season begins?   My guess is the league won't because the TV networks will want better flow to the games than we are seeing in the pre-season.    These pre-season games are lasting forever,  it seems. 
thanks for the heads up D6. Wish more posters here were as informative as you. I agree the penalties are a problem and I don't think it's something that will carry over to the regular season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I was impressed with Schofield back in his Wisconsin days and thought that JAX might have a shot at him since he suffered that ACL injury in his Senior season. Y'all are gonna love him.

I remember when he was injured. It was during the Sr Bowl practice while he was engaged with one of the offensive lineman.

Felt bad for him. Good to see he is making an impact for Seattle.

Quote:D'Anthony Smith as a keep. Interesting how he and Brandon Marshall (the linebacker from Nevada) have managed to stick with two good teams.
Yeah, there was always a lot of hope he'd click here, but injuries really screwed things up for Smith. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:My pleasure,  palatypus.   Welcome to the Message Board!

A key question all of us are probably asking is whether the NFL will continue to tell the officials to call illegal contact and Defensive Holding as closely as they are in the pre-season,   once the regular season begins?   My guess is the league won't because the TV networks will want better flow to the games than we are seeing in the pre-season.    These pre-season games are lasting forever,  it seems. 
Agreed.  I think the heavy emphasis in the preseason is where it will end.  The networks won't tolerate all the extra flags. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I remember when he was injured. It was during the Sr Bowl practice while he was engaged with one of the offensive lineman.

Felt bad for him. Good to see he is making an impact for Seattle.

Was it after his season? I could have sworn it was during. Ah well, symptoms of aging I guess.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:D'Anthony Smith as a keep. Interesting how he and Brandon Marshall (the linebacker from Nevada) have managed to stick with two good teams.

Sometimes its a change of scenery, sometimes its scheme. Knighton played well for Denver last season. Mathis looked done the last year he was here, and he had a solid season and has taken a leadership role in Detroit. Austen Lane has found a spot in that improved Bears dline.

Same way Ball was nothing in Houston and Dallas, then comes here on a press man scheme and played like a quality starter.

Quote:thanks for the heads up D6. Wish more posters here were as informative as you. I agree the penalties are a problem and I don't think it's something that will carry over to the regular season.

My pleasure, ObjectiveJag.   Thanks for your thoughts.

Regarding Jonte Green,  because of the Practice Squad rules that were announced on Tuesday,  he would actually have P.S. eligibility if he's cut by the Lions and clears waivers.    Under that scenario,  it wouldn't surprise me if Green wanted a fresh start,  especially with the Jaguars,  because of the Dewayne Walker connection.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...0-players/

Quote:Agreed.  I think the heavy emphasis in the preseason is where it will end.  The networks won't tolerate all the extra flags. 

The near 3 1/2 hour long pre-season games should indeed concern the NFL and the networks.   Even as a hard core fan,  the penalties are affecting my concentration level when watching the pre-season games.    Using the Jaguars-Bears game for example, once Blake Bortles came out of the game for the Jaguars and the Bears basically emptied their bench,  I decided to turn off the last few minutes of the game.   If there was less yellow that night,  I likely would have watched the entire game.

Quote:  The near 3 1/2 hour long pre-season games should indeed concern the NFL and the networks.   Even as a hard core fan,  the penalties are affecting my concentration level when watching the pre-season games.    Using the Jaguars-Bears game for example, once Blake Bortles came out of the game for the Jaguars and the Bears basically emptied their bench,  I decided to turn off the last few minutes of the game.   If there was less yellow that night,  I likely would have watched the entire game.

If 1pm games start rolling into the 4pm games, I'm 91% sure something will be done about it. The TV networks won't take kindly to that.

Quote:  The near 3 1/2 hour long pre-season games should indeed concern the NFL and the networks.   Even as a hard core fan,  the penalties are affecting my concentration level when watching the pre-season games.    Using the Jaguars-Bears game for example, once Blake Bortles came out of the game for the Jaguars and the Bears basically emptied their bench,  I decided to turn off the last few minutes of the game.   If there was less yellow that night,  I likely would have watched the entire game.
I'm sure the networks are monitoring this and they're telling the league to make sure this is a preseason thing only.  Once the games are on their dime, they won't want things running beyond the allotted time.

Yeah, Knighton, D'Anthony Smith and Brandon Marshall seem to be players we might have cut the cord too soon with. 

Quote:If 1pm games start rolling into the 4pm games, I'm 91% sure something will be done about it. The TV networks won't take kindly to that.

A few years ago,  the NFL decided to start the 2nd game of Doubleheaders at 4:25pm ET because games were lasting longer.    The way this pre-season has gone,   games are going to roll over regularly into the 4:25pm ET if nothing changes.   For sure,  the TV networks won't like this because it's going to lead to many people turning the channel or turning off the TV altogether.   

Quote:I'm sure the networks are monitoring this and they're telling the league to make sure this is a preseason thing only.  Once the games are on their dime, they won't want things running beyond the allotted time.

There's no question that the networks have plenty of leverage.  Every network that's carrying NFL games will be adversely affected if the games drag on even close to the level that they have in the 2014 pre-season.   In this day and age of the Internet and overall high tech options for people,   many viewers are going to find something else to do if the games don't have a much better flow than what we have seen this summer.

Despite coming down with an interception in the 4th QTR of the pre-season game against the Jaguars the other night,   as expected  ( at least on this end )  the Lions released Jonte Green.   The Lions did Green a favor by cutting him today instead of after the final pre-season game.   This way,  he can potentially latch on to another NFL roster before the final pre-season game that they play.   It won't surprise me in the least if the Jaguars or another team high up in the waiver claim priority process claims Green off waivers.   If not,  I think he will be on an NFL Practice Squad next week.   The new P.S. rules enable Green to be P.S. eligible.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/201..._gior.html