Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Bears game

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 06:21 AM by Bullseye.)

Last week, excitement was overflowing in Jag nation.  Football season was finally here, many Jaguars fans got their first in game look at the new video boards, and all Jaguars fans got their first in game look at Blake Bortles, whose debut made many believe he's the QB we've been looking for.  The defense was downright nasty against Tampa, while several other rookies and free agents looked good,  How would the team fare on the road against a team with a better offense than Tampa?

My thoughts...

A.  After last week's game, the chorus got louder that Bortles should start and Henne should be relegated to the bench.  Well, Henne showed last night that he wasn't going to go down without a fight.  Henne had a good game and moved the team.

B.  The offensive line, however, remains a problem.  While there were no disastrous shotgun snaps last night, there were still missed blocks.  Brewster got beat badly on at least one play.  I thought aside from an early bull rush from one of the game's best DEs in Jared Allen, Joeckel did well.  But worse, this unit suffered two injuries...Pasztor and Bowanko.  Hopefully neither injury will be too serious.

C.  The starting defense played pretty well, though the performance was not nearly as dominant as it was against Tampa.  Aside from Clemons, I did not see anyone ever really pressure Cutler or the backup.  Chicago also got some decent runs.  I still think the defense will be better overall, but I think last night was a more accurate reflection of how the D will perform.

D.  Continuing on that theme, Dwayne Gratz was a monster tonight.  No picks, but he was all over the place.  Every time you turned around the announcers were calling his name.  He had several solid plays in run support, and showed good coverage overall.  The PI call against him was completely bogus.

E.  One of the biggest problems with the injury to Doss and the Sanders suspension is that at the moment, we don't have a competent punt returner.  Wiil Blackmon has given us good play at DB, but is a liability in fielding punts.  For the second game in a row, Blackmon failed to field a punt, costing the team field position.

F.  It was good to see Toby Gerhart for the first time.  He had a couple of decent runs despite some seemingly shaky run blocking.  One thing that has been a problem to me.  As I indicated earlier, the team seems determined to run outside more.  However after two games, it appears the only guy who has proven able to get outside is Denard Robinson.  Even though Robinson also had some good inside runs, it seems like if this trend continues, defenses will key the run depending upon the personnel.  Speaking of RBs and Robinson, for the second game in a row, it's arguable Robinson had the most impressive runs in the games.  I wonder if he is coming closer to passing Todman on the depth chart.

G.  Rookie Watch

1.  Blake Bortles-His second performance left me smiling as much as his first.  After an ugly first pass, we had quite a few "wow" moments for me.  There was one play in the third quarter where he identified the mike and the blitz, audibled out of the play, looked off the safety to the right, looked back all the way to the other side of the field, and hit a receiver deep down the sideline in a perfectly thrown ball.  There were other play where Bortles exhibited an excellent ability to throw on the run, even against his body.  The one play coming out of his end zone where Gruden initially trashed him for the throw was still amazing.  Gruden even backtracked on much of the negative criticism when he got another look at the throw.  Bortles even seemed to show a good command of the hurry up offense, and once again he led the team to points.  He needs to get the team in the end zone, and I would like a larger sample size showing how he would handle the blitz,  but for the second week in a row, he looked good enough for observers to argue he should be the starter.

2.  Marqise Lee-Displayed what I expected him to do in the first game.  He was involved early and often in the passing game.  He showed good short area quickness and separation.  I thought he had a better chance to score on a play if he kept running inside instead of juking it back outside, but he caught his first TD later.  I think whatever "worry" there was about him last week was diminshed.

3.  Allan Robinson-DNP

4.  Brandon Linder-got some playing time at G and C.  Nothing stood out good or bad, but I will need to rewatch the game to get a better feel for his performance.  I suppose that is a good thing.

5.  Aaron  Colvin-DNP

6.  Telvin Smith-Did not seem as omnipresent as he was against Tampa, but did make his presence felt, showing good range for a linebacker, tipping a pass that led to an INT.

7.  Chris Smth-though he got a couple of pressures, he did not jump off the screen the way he did against Tampa.  His burst looked like that of a "normal" DE instead of all world like last week.  Still put in some quality minutes and did not seem to hurt himself with his performance.

8.  Luke Bowanko-got playing time at C and did not stand out.  Was injured late.  Hopefully the injury is not serious.

9.  Storm Johnson-Had a nice kick return, IIRC caught a pass that netted decent yardage, and had a couple of decent runs.  Has looked better than Todman thus far, though watching him, you get the sense he dances too much on outside runs.

10.  Allen Hurns-Had another solid outing.  I think his familiarity with the offense helps him, and it shows in his play.  As of now, he survives the final cut, and will be hard to cut when guys return from injury and suspension.

11.  Deandre Coleman-did not stand out against Chicago the way he did against Tampa.

12.  Rashaad Reynolds-IIRC had a fumble recovery.

H.  Speaking of DBs, there was talk that Josh Evans had  fallen down the depth chart and his stay on the roster may be tenuous.  It' a good thing for him he showed good awareness and ball skills by coming up with the INT on the Telvin Smith tipped pass.

I.  Interesting to see "Cookman on Cookman violence" when BCU grad Ryan Davis absolutely belted former Pro Bowl WR/KR Eric Weems on an eary kickoff return.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I.  Bottom line:  Even though the final score did not go the Jaguars way, Jaguars fans have to be pleased with what we saw last night.  The starters outplayed the Bears starters the entire first half.  Bortles continued to give Jaguars fans hope and excitement over the future of the QB position.  Other rookies shone for the first time, while Telvin Smith continued to shine.  Second year players like Joeckel, Cyprien, Gratz and Robinson continued to show improvement.  Though the injuries to the OL were unfortunate and the last thing we needed, like last week, the lasting impression from this game is that we are a better football team than we were last year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm honestly not even considering Allen Hurns as a player who might not make the cut.

He will be on the team and activated for week 1.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

My main takeaway from the game:

Penalty calls = ridiculous
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Last week, excitement was overflowing in Jag nation.  Football season was finally here, many Jaguars fans got their first in game look at the new video boards, and all Jaguars fans got their first in game look at Blake Bortles, whose debut made many believe he's the QB we've been looking for.  The defense was downright nasty against Tampa, while several other rookies and free agents looked good,  How would the team fare on the road against a team with a better offense than Tampa?

My thoughts...

A.  After last week's game, the chorus got louder that Bortles should start and Henne should be relegated to the bench.  Well, Henne showed last night that he wasn't going to go down without a fight.  Henne had a good game and moved the team.

B.  The offensive line, however, remains a problem.  While there were no disastrous shotgun snaps last night, there were still missed blocks.  Brewster got beat badly on at least one play.  I thought aside from an early bull rush from one of the game's best DEs in Jared Allen, Joeckel did well.  But worse, this unit suffered two injuries...Pasztor and Bowanko.  Hopefully neither injury will be too serious. BIG PROBLEM HERE IN THE OL

C.  The starting defense played pretty well, though the performance was not nearly as dominant as it was against Tampa.  Aside from Clemons, I did not see anyone ever really pressure Cutler or the backup.  Chicago also got some decent runs.  I still think the defense will be better overall, but I think last night was a more accurate reflection of how the D will perform. RUSH WAS NOT NEAR AS GOOD IN FACT POOR

D.  Continuing on that theme, Dwayne Gratz was a monster tonight.  No picks, but he was all over the place.  Every time you turned around the announcers were calling his name.  He had several solid plays in run support, and showed good coverage overall.  The PI call against him was completely bogus.

E.  One of the biggest problems with the injury to Doss and the Sanders suspension is that at the moment, we don't have a competent punt returner.  Wiil Blackmon has given us good play at DB, but is a liability in fielding punts.  For the second game in a row, Blackmon failed to field a punt, costing the team field position.

F.  It was good to see Toby Gerhart for the first time.  He had a couple of decent runs despite some seemingly shaky run blocking.  One thing that has been a problem to me.  As I indicated earlier, the team seems determined to run outside more.  However after two games, it appears the only guy who has proven able to get outside is Denard Robinson.  Even though Robinson also had some good inside runs, it seems like if this trend continues, defenses will key the run depending upon the personnel.  Speaking of RBs and Robinson, for the second game in a row, it's arguable Robinson had the most impressive runs in the games.  I wonder if he is coming closer to passing Todman on the depth chart.

G.  Rookie Watch

1.  Blake Bortles-His second performance left me smiling as much as his first.  After an ugly first pass, we had quite a few "wow" moments for me.  There was one play in the third quarter where he identified the mike and the blitz, audibled out of the play, looked off the safety to the right, looked back all the way to the other side of the field, and hit a receiver deep down the sideline in a perfectly thrown ball.  There were other play where Bortles exhibited an excellent ability to throw on the run, even against his body.  The one play coming out of his end zone where Gruden initially trashed him for the throw was still amazing.  Gruden even backtracked on much of the negative criticism when he got another look at the throw.  Bortles even seemed to show a good command of the hurry up offense, and once again he led the team to points.  He needs to get the team in the end zone, and I would like a larger sample size showing how he would handle the blitz,  but for the second week in a row, he looked good enough for observers to argue he should be the starter. WE HAVE A STAR IN THE MAKING .I AM TOTALLY IMPRESSED

2.  Marqise Lee-Displayed what I expected him to do in the first game.  He was involved early and often in the passing game.  He showed good short area quickness and separation.  I thought he had a better chance to score on a play if he kept running inside instead of juking it back outside, but he caught his first TD later.  I think whatever "worry" there was about him last week was diminshed.LOOKED FANTASTIC

3.  Allan Robinson-DNP  GETTING WORRIED ABOUT HIM. CAN HE NOT TAKE THE HEAT IN FLORIDA

4.  Brandon Linder-got some playing time at G and C.  Nothing stood out good or bad, but I will need to rewatch the game to get a better feel for his performance.  I suppose that is a good thing.

5.  Aaron  Colvin-DNP

6.  Telvin Smith-Did not seem as omnipresent as he was against Tampa, but did make his presence felt, showing good range for a linebacker, tipping a pass that led to an INT. BACK DOWN TO REALITY

7.  Chris Smth-though he got a couple of pressures, he did not jump off the screen the way he did against Tampa.  His burst looked like that of a "normal" DE instead of all world like last week.  Still put in some quality minutes and did not seem to hurt himself with his performance.I THINK NEXT WEEK CHRIS WILL PLAY EARLIER. BRANCH PLAYED LATE IN THE 3RD QUARTER AS IF TO SEE WHAT HE HAS.I EXPECT THE SAME WITH SMITH THIS COMING WEEK

8.  Luke Bowanko-got playing time at C and did not stand out.  Was injured late.  Hopefully the injury is not serious.

9.  Storm Johnson-Had a nice kick return, IIRC caught a pass that netted decent yardage, and had a couple of decent runs.  Has looked better than Todman thus far, though watching him, you get the sense he dances too much on outside runs.NOT SHOWING MUCH TO ME. COULD BE CUT AND I AM NOT KIDDING

10.  Allen Hurns-Had another solid outing.  I think his familiarity with the offense helps him, and it shows in his play.  As of now, he survives the final cut, and will be hard to cut when guys return from injury and suspension.WOW-----JUST WOW!!!

11.  Deandre Coleman-did not stand out against Chicago the way he did against Tampa.WHO?

12.  Rashaad Reynolds-IIRC had a fumble recovery.LOOKED REAL GOOD

H.  Speaking of DBs, there was talk that Josh Evans had  fallen down the depth chart and his stay on the roster may be tenuous.  It' a good thing for him he showed good awareness and ball skills by coming up with the INT on the Telvin Smith tipped pass.

I.  Interesting to see "Cookman on Cookman violence" when BCU grad Ryan Davis absolutely belted former Pro Bowl WR/KR Eric Weems on an eary kickoff return.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I.  Bottom line:  Even though the final score did not go the Jaguars way, Jaguars fans have to be pleased with what we saw last night.  The starters outplayed the Bears starters the entire first half.  Bortles continued to give Jaguars fans hope and excitement over the future of the QB position.  Other rookies shone for the first time, while Telvin Smith continued to shine.  Second year players like Joeckel, Cyprien, Gratz and Robinson continued to show improvement.  Though the injuries to the OL were unfortunate and the last thing we needed, like last week, the lasting impression from this game is that we are a better football team than we were last year.
Overall I am impressed with this class with the precious jewel being Bortles

Quote:My main takeaway from the game:

Penalty calls = ridiculous
 Way too many. So many that my GF said it's reminded her of Pop Warner officiating. The only difference was that the parents of the players didn't run on the field to hug their crying child. I just got her into watching football and now the officiating is making her not want to watch because of inconsistency...She said, "They can hit our QB because they are from a big city but we can't hit their QB, and the announcers say that my Jaguars are a pushover team, I can't watch this. I'm going to play Candy Crush."   Now my GF would rather play bar games than watch NFL football... Thanks Goodell.

P.S.... I asked her this morning if she still likes college football.. She said "as long as they let them hit each other"

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Nice analysis as usual, Bullseye. 

There's much to be excited about with this team.  There are still areas of concern, but we'll clearly see a better brand of football.

The one point you made that I haven't seen anywhere else on the board is that Chad Henne did play well.  Much better than in the first preseason game.  He kept the offense moving even when there were negative plays during drives.  He also finally got the offense in the end zone.  He deserves kudos for his performance. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Great write-up !!!  

I actually watched the game from a sports bar that had trivia night so it was a bit hard to follow the game with no sound Wallbash 

Nice summary Bullseye and glad to see you got Colvin's name right this week (you called him Roosevelt Colvin last week).  Smile

Dare I say your analysis was a....................bullseye?

<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

1. Henne did play well, but Blake still had the moments. His footwork and mechanics are looking better and better. The spin and velocity that he has on the ball is similar to the guy we saw in his Pro Day. Ironically, I almost want Blake to reign it in a bit. Too often, he seems to be going to the riskier/higher reward play when there are safer throws out there that would give us first down. He needs to find that balance, but his improvement has been night and day.

2. I mentioned last week when everyone was going nuts from our DL performance, but that Tampa OL is mediocre. They are nearly as bad as ours, if not worse. Chicago was a good test. We didn't dominate, especially rushing, but we didn't allow them to just push us off the LOS either.

3.Gratz was superb in run support, but I'm in disagreement with you on the penalties. Clearly, this is going to a point of emphasis. He needs to clean that up, because he is a bit grabby, which wasn't called last year. It WILL be called this year, if the preseason games are any indication.

4. I don't remember Blackmon last week, but I'm not going to blame him for last night. That field is atrocious. Our players were slipping and sliding all night. There was one play where one of our guys was trying to cover up a loose ball and he slid to do so. Now, we've seen baseball slides from QBs. Instead, the guy literally, SLID as if he was playing on ice instead of grass. It was ridiculous. I don't understand how the NFL can mandate wireless installation but not force these stadiums with crappy fields to improve their conditions. If Khan can spend $20M of his own money for pools and scoreboards, then the Bears owner should spend his own money to get some quality turf on their field.

5. Agree with Robinson. Clearly, he gives our offense a different dimension. His speed just flashes, especially compared to our other backs. It would not surprise me if he takes over #2 from Todman at some point this season.

Quote:Last week, excitement was overflowing in Jag nation.  Football season was finally here, many Jaguars fans got their first in game look at the new video boards, and all Jaguars fans got their first in game look at Blake Bortles, whose debut made many believe he's the QB we've been looking for.  The defense was downright nasty against Tampa, while several other rookies and free agents looked good,  How would the team fare on the road against a team with a better offense than Tampa?

My thoughts...

B.  The offensive line, however, remains a problem.  While there were no disastrous shotgun snaps last night, there were still missed blocks.  Brewster got beat badly on at least one play.  I thought aside from an early bull rush from one of the game's best DEs in Jared Allen, Joeckel did well.  But worse, this unit suffered two injuries...Pasztor and Bowanko.  Hopefully neither injury will be too serious.

C.  The starting defense played pretty well, though the performance was not nearly as dominant as it was against Tampa.  Aside from Clemons, I did not see anyone ever really pressure Cutler or the backup.  Chicago also got some decent runs.  I still think the defense will be better overall, but I think last night was a more accurate reflection of how the D will perform.

G.  Rookie Watch

1.  Blake Bortles-His second performance left me smiling as much as his first.  After an ugly first pass, we had quite a few "wow" moments for me.  There was one play in the third quarter where he identified the mike and the blitz, audibled out of the play, looked off the safety to the right, looked back all the way to the other side of the field, and hit a receiver deep down the sideline in a perfectly thrown ball.  There were other play where Bortles exhibited an excellent ability to throw on the run, even against his body.  The one play coming out of his end zone where Gruden initially trashed him for the throw was still amazing.  Gruden even backtracked on much of the negative criticism when he got another look at the throw.  Bortles even seemed to show a good command of the hurry up offense, and once again he led the team to points.  He needs to get the team in the end zone, and I would like a larger sample size showing how he would handle the blitz,  but for the second week in a row, he looked good enough for observers to argue he should be the starter.

2.  Marqise Lee-Displayed what I expected him to do in the first game.  He was involved early and often in the passing game.  He showed good short area quickness and separation.  I thought he had a better chance to score on a play if he kept running inside instead of juking it back outside, but he caught his first TD later.  I think whatever "worry" there was about him last week was diminshed.

3.  Allan Robinson-DNP

5.  Aaron  Colvin-DNP

6.  Telvin Smith-Did not seem as omnipresent as he was against Tampa, but did make his presence felt, showing good range for a linebacker, tipping a pass that led to an INT.

7.  Chris Smth-though he got a couple of pressures, he did not jump off the screen the way he did against Tampa.  His burst looked like that of a "normal" DE instead of all world like last week.  Still put in some quality minutes and did not seem to hurt himself with his performance.

9.  Storm Johnson-Had a nice kick return, IIRC caught a pass that netted decent yardage, and had a couple of decent runs.  Has looked better than Todman thus far, though watching him, you get the sense he dances too much on outside runs.

10.  Allen Hurns-Had another solid outing.  I think his familiarity with the offense helps him, and it shows in his play.  As of now, he survives the final cut, and will be hard to cut when guys return from injury and suspension.

11.  Deandre Coleman-did not stand out against Chicago the way he did against Tampa.

12.  Rashaad Reynolds-IIRC had a fumble recovery.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Nice summary Bullseye and glad to see you got Colvin's name right this week (you called him Roosevelt Colvin last week).  Smile

Dare I say your analysis was a....................bullseye?
D'Oh!!!

All along I sensed something was wrong with it, but I couldn't figure it out!

ARRGGGHH!!!

I thought Roy Miller had a pretty good game as well. He made one tackle for a loss, but I saw him get in the backfield multiple times.

Great insights.

My biggest takeaway from last night is that we shouldn't worry about Bortles' timeline.

Start him now, start him later... either way it's a burden lifted.  A moot point.  After a long decade of drought, we've finally found our guy.

The Jaguars have their QB.

I'll echo FBT's sentiment as well... Henne deserves kudos of his own.  Jags offense moved the ball despite the experiments going on with the interior OL.

I wouldn't be surprised if Linder is named the starting center around the last preseason game.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:The one point you made that I haven't seen anywhere else on the board is that Chad Henne did play well.  Much better than in the first preseason game.  He kept the offense moving even when there were negative plays during drives.  He also finally got the offense in the end zone.  He deserves kudos for his performance. 

Were the numbers good, yes, but if you look at the plays where he got those numbers, they don't look good. He threw the ball to wide open WRs. He couldn't complete a pass with a DB running with the WR. So unless the Jag's WRs are all of a sudden going to be running wide open, Henne is going to look bad.

Bortles has shown he can make the throws, placing the ball in the small windows where Henne doesn't even attempt the throw.

Give Bortles the start against the Lions and see what he can do.

Quote:Were the numbers good, yes, but if you look at the plays where he got those numbers, they don't look good. He threw the ball to wide open WRs. He couldn't complete a pass with a DB running with the WR. So unless the Jag's WRs are all of a sudden going to be running wide open, Henne is going to look bad.

Bortles has shown he can make the throws, placing the ball in the small windows where Henne doesn't even attempt the throw.

Not really. I promise you EVERY WR he hit was not wide open

I despise chad henne, and I thought he had a pretty good game as well.

This from the sporting news on whether to start or sit rookie QBs...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/20...up-starter

He will start this season, but I'd be surprised if it was opening week.

Quote:Not really. I promise you EVERY WR he hit was not wide open

I despise chad henne, and I thought he had a pretty good game as well.

wide open in the NFL is not having a DB between the WR and the QB

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 11:27 AM by roycee.)

Quote:wide open in the NFL is not having a DB between the WR and the QB

he completed a few tight throws.

Quote:Were the numbers good, yes, but if you look at the plays where he got those numbers, they don't look good. He threw the ball to wide open WRs. He couldn't complete a pass with a DB running with the WR. So unless the Jag's WRs are all of a sudden going to be running wide open, Henne is going to look bad.

I think the coverage is less the story than the distance down the field the guy is.

I can only recall Henne throwing one pass that was more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage in the air.

Bortles is going 25-30 yards down the field on a regular basis and making great throws, Henne is constantly throwing underneath garbage and quick slants.

He's Checkdown Chad for a reason. The level of success the offense had with him last night isn't sustainable.

I thought Henne played decent. He made some good throws, and I was really happy with the 3rd down conversions. I was glad to see the 1st team offense get a TD, but driving down the field and settling for field goals over and over is frustrating. I'd like to see a better red zone offense during the season, and an overall PPG rating improvement. If the offense can get the ball in the end zone more, we will win a lot more games than anticipated. The overall score should have been much higher. Also, Stephen Morris was absolutely terrible. I hope he doesn't enter the field again. Everything else you guys said I agree with. 

;

;