Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Bears game

My takeaways:

- As bad as the run blocking has looked at times, the pass blocking has been a pleasant surprise. Outside of Brewsters early whiff, I didn't see many instances where our QB didn't get into his drop comfortably and with some time to look downfield. Often that hasn't been the case in recent years.

- Our Dline actually gets better the deeper we get into the rotation - relative to the other team. It's been a long time since we had any unit of reserves with more talent than the other teams reserves.

- Other than interior Oline, I'm most concerned about LB. Without Poz last night did anyone notice anything our LB's did other than Telvin Smiths tip? 

- I think FS will be less of a problem than initially thought this offseason. Guy looks much more polished and comfortable this year. We haven't seen the false steps from that position that plagued them a little last year.

- The team's overall talent is much better but we're still a few horses short of a stampede.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 01:08 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Very nice to read these comments.  I watched the second half last night, and it's hard not to get excited about Bortles tbh.

Quote:I actually watched the game from a sports bar that had trivia night so it was a bit hard to follow the game with no sound Wallbash 

That was a service to everybody tbh >_>  Not having to listen to Jon Gruden.  (I look forward though to him commentating a game with his brother as HC though.  I was hoping we'd see Chris Simms have a game commented on by Phil Simms, but I don't think we ever got it)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Which was the most impressive moment / play / pass / run by Blake Bortles during this Chicago game?

Bears Game

A.) His 2nd & 10 rollout bullet pass (20 yards in air) to #12 WR Mike Brown showing he no longer throws off his back foot while on the move (according to Matt Miller NFL Scout) 

B.) His 3rd & 5, Deep throw to #88 WR Allen Hurns

C.) His 2nd & 1 go route pass Taylor

D.) His hailmary pass?

Quote:My takeaways:

- Other than interior Oline, I'm most concerned about LB. Without Poz last night did anyone notice anything our LB's did other than Telvin Smiths tip? 

This is a good point. Stupar didn't have a great game. But assuming Poz is healthy (which they anticipate him to be), I thought Reynolds and Telvin had their moments. Their young and make mistakes, but they have the capability to shine as well. Don't forget that Hayes and Watson should be out there also come regular season.

I think the offense will continue to be a work in progress, and though there's a lot to like, they are a long way from reaching their potential, due to youth, inexperience, and lack of talent at a few spots. 

But the defense and special teams could be strong enough to keep us in most games.  The tackling was very good.  The KO cover team consistently tackled the returner inside the 15.  Gratz showed a hard-nosed intensity on the edge.  And when the ball is on the ground, I now expect the Jags to come up with it.  With that strong, deep rotation on the DL, more speed and versatility at LB, and the improvement of the young secondary, This D could be pretty special.  They have not reached their potential either, but seem much closer to being there.

Quote:This is a good point. Stupar didn't have a great game. But assuming Poz is healthy (which they anticipate him to be), I thought Reynolds and Telvin had their moments. Their young and make mistakes, but they have the capability to shine as well. Don't forget that Hayes and Watson should be out there also come regular season.

Reynolds was in the backfield a few times.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

[Image: giJy2.gif]

My impression of the game?  It looks as though these guys can finally take those bags off

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:Which was the most impressive moment / play / pass / run by Blake Bortles during this Chicago game?

Bears Game

A.) His 2nd & 10 rollout bullet pass (20 yards in air) to #12 WR Mike Brown showing he no longer throws off his back foot while on the move (according to Matt Miller NFL Scout) 

D.) His hailmary pass?
Both a and c.  The thing I like about A is that it was second and 19 and he threw it at least 19 yrds.  It was a centimeter from being a catch. 

C was just a damn good throw. 

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM by Banatha.)

with the disclaimer I could not watch all of it- 3 things

1 Do we have any tight ends? I must have missed them. If I missed out on a great performance correct me.

2 The second thing is we cannot cover any Running back who fakes he is going to block and then slips over the middle.

The bears ran that play all night.

3 The third thing is I am excited about a potential franchise QB after a long wait.

Quote:with the disclaimer I could not watch all of it-

Do we have any tight ends? It is becoming a tight end league so If I missed out on a great performance correct me.

The second thing is we cannot cover any Running back who fakes he is going to block and then slips over the middle.

The bears ran that play all night.

The third thing I am excited about a potential franchise QB after a long wait.

Marcedes had a decent catch and run. The team still would benefit from a top tier receiving tight end, but if Bortles develops they can likely be successful without one.

Quote:with the disclaimer I could not watch all of it-

Do we have any tight ends? It is becoming a tight end league so If I missed out on a great performance correct me. Lewis and Harbor aren't the worst combo, but Harbor is hurt. Marcedes had 3 catches last night - 46 yds.  Not bad for half of a game.   Marcel Jensen is the UDFA TE worth keeping an eye on - but he's still very green. 

The second thing is we cannot cover any Running back who fakes he is going to block and then slips over the middle.

The bears ran that play all night.  Having Poz in would have helped a bit there. 

The third thing I am excited about a potential franchise QB after a long wait. YES!!

Nice to hear Mercedes had a decent game, I missed all his catches, they must have come in the 1st quarter

Quote:Nice to hear Mercedes had a decent game, I missed all his catches, they must have come in the 1st quarter

He had a nice 1st quarter, I like the little TE screen they throw to him.

Quote:Which was the most impressive moment / play / pass / run by Blake Bortles during this Chicago game?

Bears Game

D.) His hailmary pass?
Taylor down the sideline after looking off the safety and dropping the ball out of reach of the corner.   (yeah - the one you listed - 2nd and 1)

The 45 yard play to Hurns is a close second. 

Quote:Nice to hear Mercedes had a decent game, I missed all his catches, they must have come in the 1st quarter
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014081400...tab=videos

Quote:This is a good point. Stupar didn't have a great game. But assuming Poz is healthy (which they anticipate him to be), I thought Reynolds and Telvin had their moments. Their young and make mistakes, but they have the capability to shine as well. Don't forget that Hayes and Watson should be out there also come regular season.
Yeah. Stupar is definitely a step or two slower to the ball than Poz. Hopefully he learns from the valuable gametime. 

There were two or three plays on which he resembled a deer in highlights out there.

Quote:He had a nice 1st quarter, I like the little TE screen they throw to him.

Lewis did look good. I was going to start a thread regarding ole "suitcase hands" but thought better of it.

Here's hoping he stays this consistent in the passing game.

The concern I had watching the first half was the lack of pressure in our pass rush.

Quote:Lewis did look good. I was going to start a thread regarding ole "suitcase hands" but thought better of it.

Here's hoping he stays this consistent in the passing game.

The concern I had watching the first half was the lack of pressure in our pass rush.

I share your concern and it was pointed out to me repeatedly by my stinkin' Bear loving brother.

I thought we got a decent push in the middle but our Ends were having trouble getting around their tackles - concerning because their starting RT was a backup

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...on-week-2/

PFF's article on the game

Quote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...on-week-2/

PFF's article on the game

Was just about to comment on this! Ziggy Hood, player of the game?