Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles getting lots of love

Quote:https://twitter.com/SI_DougFarrar/status...0362074113

At least he's not like the fox sports guy that got posted the other day.

Better to just be honest about a guy's performance than to try to hold out hope that a guy will turn sour just because the writer wasn't high on him in the draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Funny thing is I don't remember seeing a rookie quarterback look any better in their first two NFL preseason games! It makes the decision to sit him all year look ridiculous! Lesson here is don't make such a  decision before you see a player in live action.  I'm afraid that they will not give him a chance against the starters during the third preseason game. This is the tune up for the season and the starter gets all the reps. IF they do then it would be obvious that there commitment to Henne is fading away.

Quote:The funny thing about that play was Gruden said it was a dumb decision. 

What the hell is Gruden smoking?  That was one of the best passes I have seen from a Jag QB in a long time. 

But it was a dumb decision. Great pass and all that, but Gruden's point was correct.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM by RicoTx.)

They're going to do what they're going to do, but I personally see no reason he shouldn't start game #1. He looks in control out there and the game doesn't seem 'too big' for him. Is he going to make some mistakes...sure. What young QB doesn't? I really hope we get to see him with (and against) the 1s next week.

People need to stop looking at Bortles using Gabbert as comparison. Gabbert never...NEVER...looked this good.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:But it was a dumb decision. Great pass and all that, but Gruden's point was correct.

Dumb decisions are decisions that don't have a chance of resulting in a positive.

A lot of passes could theoretically go for an INT, but that particular play didn't seem like it had a great risk of going the other way for 6.

That play was the kind of thing Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger would try. Never give up and make the play.

A dumb play would be running out of the back of the end zone.

Quote:They're going to do what they're going to do, but I personally see no reason he shouldn't start game #1. He looks in control out there and the game doesn't seem 'too big' for him. Is he going to make some mistakes...sure. What young QB doesn't? I really hope we get to see him with (and against) the 1s next week.

People need to stop looking at Bortles using Gabbert as comparison. Gabbert never...NEVER...looked this good.

You're right.  In 2 pre-season games, he's already lightyears ahead of what Gabbert ever was.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I feel like a Cleveland Cavaliers fan where you wake up and everything is good again.  Did the past 4 years really happen or was that just a bad dream?

Quote:But it was a dumb decision. Great pass and all that, but Gruden's point was correct.

You sure are a try hard...
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I can see what Gruden was trying to say. Most QBs (especially rookies) should play it safe in that situation. Imagine Gerrard, Gabbert or Henne trying to make that throw. We'd have been agreeing with him.

However Blake them proved him wrong by making a great on the money throw (as he did almost every throw again yesterday, the only bad throw was his first throw which wasn't awful, just far too low for the WR to grab).

It wasn't a dumb decision.  It was a risky one that, in years past, we would never expect to see coming from a Jaguars QB.  Why?  Because they weren't good enough or confident enough to make that play.  It's a preseason game and he's willing to take a risk to make the play.  It panned out well for him this time.  I'm sure that, much like any other quality QB, sometimes those gambles blow up in your face.  That doesn't make it a dumb decision. 

I thought Gruden was a little over the top with his comments, and at the end of the play, he had egg on his face. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote: 

I thought Gruden was a little over the top with his comments, and at the end of the play, he had egg on his face. 
I think it went something like "He sure shoved that one back in my face"

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I think the toughest part for Bortles is over. He's assimilated himself into our culture, won over fans, coaches, and veterans. He has given himself confidence that he can do good things in this league. Imagine if he put together a couple of bad games? I'd imagine one could start to question himself. Respect.

Quote:He has some serious zip on the ball, and his throwing motion is rather fast...  I can see that...  But Marino didn't have the scrambling ability that Bortles has...  But I don't think Bortles has the pocket mobility Marino had...  At least not yet.  Marino could evade a sack but just hoping left/right/forward/back like none other.
True but if people are comparing you to a cross between Big Ben & Dan Marino.. thats a good place to be going into week 3 of preseason

I shouldn't bring this up, but Bortles to JR would of been special

Quote:I shouldn't bring this up, but Bortles to JR would of been special

JR?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:JR?
Jerry Rice....Duh.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I don't see how it was a dumb decision.  If it was then Jedd is dumb for calling the play. 

The second preseason game???  Come on now. 

Quote:Jerry Rice....Duh.

My bad, I meant JB

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/15/blake-b...chad-henne

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 12:12 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/15/blake-bortles-jacksonville-jaguars-chad-henne'>http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/15/blake-bortles-jacksonville-jaguars-chad-henne</a>
Quote:But given what we've seen from Bortles in two preseason games, Bradley and the Jaguars might want to take a page from the Seattle Seahawks (whose defense Bradley used to run), who named Russell Wilson their starter in 2012 despite having signed the more experienced Matt Flynn to a lucrative free-agent contract in the offseason. Wilson was good enough in the preseason to alter the paradigm, and the Seahawks were flexible enough to let it happen.

Could it happen again?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."