Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles getting lots of love

Quote:You're right.  In 2 pre-season games, he's already lightyears ahead of what Gabbert ever was.
There are a few highschool QBs that could probably step in and play better than Gabbert.. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Start Blake Bortles.

I think if Bortles started last night and it was a regular season game, it would have been a close matchup and we probably would have won. That's honestly such a good sign.

I don't want to wait until week 5 to start Bortles and we are 1-3. Imagine finishing around 8-8 and we could have been saying "what if Bortles started from the beginning?"

Kid is good and better than I expected!
Shock the world

It's hard to figure out where my faith lies. I always believe that Gus and Fisch know what they are doing, and I can't stand a majority of analysts these days with their extremely biased opinions. But, I honestly don't see how Chad gives the team a better chance to win than Blake, and I'm beginning to believe that Blake is not the kind of guy to get down on himself for early season struggles. He seems like the kind of guy who will constantly search for improvement and be very honest about it, and that he can give the team the best chance to win. We all know what Chad brings to the table, and he may play around the fairly decent level, but that isn't good enough to actually win, regardless of his mild improvement. I'm not a coach, so I keep telling myself that the brass knows what they are doing, but every week that passes by and I see Blake play, I start to agree with those idiots on t.v. lol. 

;

;

Quote:The funny thing about that play was Gruden said it was a dumb decision. 

What the hell is Gruden smoking?  That was one of the best passes I have seen from a Jag QB in a long time. 

IIRC, what Gruden did not like initially was calling a naked bootleg in the end zone. After a replay and Tirico's comment, he back-peddled and admitted it was a great throw.

The Jaguars have not had a QB that could make that throw since pre-knee injury Brunell.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Blake is sure making the "We're starting Henne " mantra a bit harder to stick. Need to see him against the one's.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Dumb decisions are decisions that don't have a chance of resulting in a positive.

A lot of passes could theoretically go for an INT, but that particular play didn't seem like it had a great risk of going the other way for 6.

That play was the kind of thing Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger would try. Never give up and make the play.

A dumb play would be running out of the back of the end zone.

You're just not going to admit Bortles can make an error or bad decision, are you? Defend everything he does if you wish.

Gruden was channeling his inner coach. You're protecting a lead. You don't throw into triple coverage from your own end zone. If it wasn't out of bounds it could have been picked.

I know why Bortles threw it. You see it all the time from rookies who have great arms. They think they can throw it through a brick wall to any spot. And it was a great throw.

I suspect when they look at the tape he'll be told "Don't do that." 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:You're just not going to admit Bortles can make an error or bad decision, are you? Defend everything he does if you wish.

Gruden was channeling his inner coach. You're protecting a lead. You don't throw into triple coverage from your own end zone. If it wasn't out of bounds it could have been picked.

I know why Bortles threw it. You see it all the time from rookies who have great arms. They think they can throw it through a brick wall to any spot. And it was a great throw.

I suspect when they look at the tape he'll be told "Don't do that." 

No, not every throw he made was great, but that particular play didn't appear to me to be a dumb play. If you're going to take that kind of chance that's the way it needed to be, along the sideline.

Looked like a catch to me at first, too.

Now someone like Henne trying that would probably be a dumb play because he can't spin the rock as well as Bortles appears to be able to. Dropping passes in to guys on the sideline seems to be a real strength of Bortles'.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM by rollerjag.)

Here's the GIF for those who were asking. 

GIFs containing NFL content from unauthorized sources are not allowed.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Here's the GIF for those who were asking.

Thanks. What a thing of beauty. I still think it could've been challenged.

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Thanks. What a thing of beauty. I still think it could've been challenged.

With a great WR that would have been a catch.

Andrew Luck has been getting the benefit of passes like that to Wayne being completions the last two seasons, hopefully we can find someone like that to help Bortles be as successful.

Quote:Start Blake Bortles.

I think if Bortles started last night and it was a regular season game, it would have been a close matchup and we probably would have won. That's honestly such a good sign.

I don't want to wait until week 5 to start Bortles and we are 1-3. Imagine finishing around 8-8 and we could have been saying "what if Bortles started from the beginning?"

Kid is good and better than I expected!

This bothers me. Henne gave us the lead. Bortles extended it. We loss because a veteran guy who might not make their team whooped on on our third stringers who a lot won't make the team either. Our only TD scoring drive came with Henne, show him some respect. I love Bortles and think he'll play at a probowl level for us some day, but I'm not going to sit here and say Bortles will lead us to the playoffs if he starts week one. We're still young, still lack RELATIVE talent, Blake is still a rookie, and this is Luck's division still. Even Houston can steal games from us. Henne was 12-17 for 130 vs. Chicago's first team defense and Blake was still 12-17 vs the Bears' second unit. Blake played a great game but so did Henne

Quote:This bothers me. Henne gave us the lead. Bortles extended it. We loss because a veteran guy who might not make their team whooped on on our third stringers who a lot won't make the team either. Our only TD scoring drive came with Henne, show him some respect. I love Bortles and think he'll play at a probowl level for us some day, but I'm not going to sit here and say Bortles will lead us to the playoffs if he starts week one. We're still young, still lack RELATIVE talent, Blake is still a rookie, and this is Luck's division still. Even Houston can steal games from us. Henne was 12-17 for 130 vs. Chicago's first team defense and Blake was still 12-17 vs the Bears' second unit. Blake played a great game but so did Henne

Once again, you'll change your mind again next week. Henne also should not have had that TD. Awful pass interference call. I will, however, give him props because it was better than I expected as well.
Shock the world

Quote:This bothers me. Henne gave us the lead. Bortles extended it. We loss because a veteran guy who might not make their team whooped on on our third stringers who a lot won't make the team either. Our only TD scoring drive came with Henne, show him some respect. I love Bortles and think he'll play at a probowl level for us some day, but I'm not going to sit here and say Bortles will lead us to the playoffs if he starts week one. We're still young, still lack RELATIVE talent, Blake is still a rookie, and this is Luck's division still. Even Houston can steal games from us. Henne was 12-17 for 130 vs. Chicago's first team defense and Blake was still 12-17 vs the Bears' second unit. Blake played a great game but so did Henne

It took the referees giving Henne a major bailout to make that TD possible. So while it's a credit to him that the team finally did score one with him in the game, in the end he still didn't even throw it into the end zone and needed to yet again throw a short pass and have the hard work done by YAC.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 03:01 PM by rollerjag.)

How was this a dumb play on Bortles' part?  Did he call a bootleg in his own end zone? I doubt it.  He ran the play that was called.  He threw the ball, on the run, with a guy in his face, to a place that ONLY his guy would have a shot at the ball.  It was a good play by a rookie, he has the arm to make that throw.  He has the ability to make that throw and I'm glad he's not gun shy and made that play.  We've experienced far too many years of guys who can't/wouldn't even attempt a play of that nature.  That was a glimpse of what we have to look forward to in the future.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 01:58 PM by Jax Jag.)

Quote:It took the referees giving Henne a major bailout to make that TD possible. So while it's a credit to him that the team finally did score one with him in the game, in the end he still didn't even throw it into the end zone and needed to yet again throw a short pass and have the hard work done by YAC.

Man, I understand. Henne still had a productive night and Bortles still hasn't made it in the end zone. again, I AM FULLY UNDERSTANDING that Bortles looks to be the better guy, but that's not my argument. My argument is that Henne starting didn't lose us the game. He's getting Lebron level love by us. I mean, homeboy said we would have won the game if Bortles started like Henne was the reason we lost. Practice squad guys giving up points and not getting any are the reason (sprinkle in a few second teamers for the nitpickers). Guys who won't affect the outcome or outlook of the 2014 Jags gave up points.

Quote:How was this a dumb play on Bortles' part?  Did he call a bootleg in his own end zone? I doubt it.  He ran the play that was called.  He threw the ball, on the run, with a guy in his face, to a place that ONLY his guy would have a shot at the ball.  It was a good play by a rookie, he has the arm to make that throw.  He has the ability to make that throw and I'm glad he's not gun shy and made that play.  We've experienced far too many years of guys who can't/wouldn't even attempt a play of that nature.  That was a glimpse of what we have to look forward to in the future.

It's nice to have a QB who has the confidence to make that throw instead of take the hit, or maybe get an intentional grounding penalty or just throw it away.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:It's nice to have a QB who has the confidence to make that throw instead of take the hit, or maybe get an intentional grounding penalty or just throw it away.  

Yes.  There's a good chance our previous quarterback selection would have crapped the bed in that situation.  

Quote:It's nice to have a QB who has the confidence to make that throw instead of take the hit, or maybe get an intentional grounding penalty or just throw it away.
The pass he threw to Taylor down the left sideline was a thing of beauty. I rewound and replayed that 10 times.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 03:01 PM by rollerjag.)

Am I the only one who thinks Bortles was going for a throw away out of bounds in the area of a receiver to not get a safety/intentional grounding?

-shrug- Either way, a great throw and not really a bad play call imo. Had it worked it would have been hailed as brilliant, blah blah blah.

It's the preseason, the staff wants to see who can do what and what works in certain situations.

I'm willing to bet that play doesn't get called often in the regular season from that area.

Quote:Man, I understand. Henne still had a productive night and Bortles still hasn't made it in the end zone. again, I AM FULLY UNDERSTANDING that Bortles looks to be the better guy, but that's not my argument. My argument is that Henne starting didn't lose us the game. He's getting Lebron level love by us. I mean, homeboy said we would have won the game if Bortles started like Henne was the reason we lost. Practice squad guys giving up points and not getting any are the reason (sprinkle in a few second teamers for the nitpickers). Guys who won't affect the outcome or outlook of the 2014 Jags gave up points.

And I FULLY UNDERSTAND Henne played well, but he does this. It's his problem. He is never consistent enough. What I'm saying is that I feel more comfortable with Bortles playing the whole game rather than Henne. Henne was due for some bad plays.

Sorry brotha, but "homeboy" is right on this one!
Shock the world