Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Teddy Bridgewater, confidence problemo?

I looked at the poor pro day and shrugged it off, but in the back of my mind I was wondering "Is Teddy mentally weak, crumbles under big pressure?" After watching him in his first preseason game (still way to early to tell) he looked scared, and did not look like the same Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville, am I alone in thinking this? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Rookie

Quote:I looked at the poor pro day and shrugged it off, but in the back of my mind I was wondering "Is Teddy mentally weak, crumbles under big pressure?" After watching him in his first preseason game (still way to early to tell) he looked scared, and did not look like the same Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville, am I alone in thinking this? 

I was thinking something similar. Not the pressure of the game, but pressure of trying to prove the pundits wrong. I think he might actually be trying too hard. If he just relaxes and goes back to what he knows, I think we will see the same type of performance from Tedd that we saw at Louisville.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

For what it's worth,  Mike Zimmer is comfortable with Teddy Bridgewater's confidence level.   Even after a 3 interception practice,  following an average at best pre-season game performance:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...onfidence/

Quote:Rookie

Good point.  

Every rookie will go through growing pains.   With rookie QB's usually at or near the top of the list of players that have many speed bumps before consistency is much more of the normal.

Quote:Rookie
I'm sure that doesn't help the cause either. I don't blame him for being nervous i'd be pooping bricks if I had to play in the NFL in front of millions of people too but it seems like an issue.

Quote:For what it's worth,  Mike Zimmer is comfortable with Teddy Bridgewater's confidence level.   Even after a 3 interception practice,  following an average at best pre-season game performance:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...onfidence/

If he said otherwise, Teddy might fold up like a cheap tent.  Wink

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

That could be part of the problem

Quote:That could be part of the problem

If he's already having confidence issues, that's a big problem. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

He took out that insurance policy and is in debt to the banksters.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 11:25 PM by knarnn.)

I'll just leave this here:

Quote:Cassel outplaying Bridgewater at Vikings camp

Teddy Bridgewater | MIN

(August 14, 2014 9:41 PM EDT)

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Thursday night that Teddy Bridgewater has been outplayed by Matt Cassel at Vikings camp.

Per Mort, the Vikings "expect that Cassel will open the season" as their starter. There's still time for Bridgewater to make a move on his veteran adversary, but to this point it really hasn't been much of a competition. The gap seemed to widen this week as Bridgewater threw five interceptions in three practices. Regardless of his identity, the Vikings' 2014 starting quarterback will be asked to manage games, and not win them on his own.

Probably why his confidence was shaken. Bad Pro Day, Draft day tumble, training camp struggles, pre-season game struggles. Its been a rough 6+ months for Teddy.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

He's still just learning.  If Blake was having these issues I'd say the same thing.  Way too early for all this.  

Huh

It's a man's game, so his struggles should be no surprise.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I won't give up on him after one preseason game.  Bortles has come out strong, Teddy has come out slow.  Doesn't mean anything yet. 

I really doubted Caldwell when he took Bortles ahead of Teddy but the more I see the more I realize Caldwell knows what he is doing. 

If preseason performances were indication of career projection, then Brandon Weeden would be on his way to the HoF by now.

Quote:If preseason performances were indication of career projection, then Brandon Weeden would be on his way to the HoF by now.

Preseason stats are meaningless, just like regular season yardage stats are meaningless.

It's the actual play that matters. If you're getting the passing yards carrying a team to TDs and victories then the yards are meaningful. If you're getting the yards throwing lots of 4th quarter passes to guys that are only getting soft downfield coverage and you're losing by 20 then the yards aren't meaningful.

Bortles is looking good because he's making the right decisions and making great throws to guys down the field, the stats are incidental compared with his command of the offense and vision of the field.

Quote:I looked at the poor pro day and shrugged it off, but in the back of my mind I was wondering "Is Teddy mentally weak, crumbles under big pressure?" After watching him in his first preseason game (still way to early to tell) he looked scared, and did not look like the same Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville, am I alone in thinking this? 

He's not a very muscular dude.  His body better get used to being hit. 

Quote:If he's already having confidence issues, that's a big problem.
was saying it could be part of the problem along with a weak arm and a real NFL defense

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 07:44 PM by knarnn.)

Per rotoworld:

Quote:Bridgewater struggling with mental aspects

Teddy Bridgewater | MIN

(August 15, 2014 6:19 PM EDT)

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer attributed Teddy Bridgewater's recent struggles to him not having a full grasp of the offensive scheme.

"He’s got so much going on in his mind right now that I just want him to play," Zimmer said. "That’s what I told him. If you make a mistake, we’ll fix it and go on." Bridgewater looked skittish in Minnesota's preseason opener and threw five interceptions in three practices this week. His confidence should improve as he becomes more acclimated, but Bridgewater is going to need time before he's ready to run Norv Turner's system. At this point it would be an upset if Bridgewater started over Matt Cassel in Week 1.

SOURCE:

MINNEAPOLIS STAR-TRIBUNE

Sure glad Blake doesn't have that problem.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."